The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Wonder if KD comes and watches his old coach on his home court?
Edit: KD plays in Indiana, tonight, so I doubt it

I always forget how much I hate most of our fans until we have games like this. I wish most of them would simply tune out after football season. Idiots.

You really expect fans to stay positive while they watch a 21 point lead get down to 2? Fans are living in the moment, just like they do in the Football game day thread. When it's over, then you celebrate and look at the big picture.

It's ok to vent and say crazy stuff. Who is it hurting?

You really expect fans to stay positive while they watch a 21 point lead get down to 2? Fans are living in the moment, just like they do in the Football game day thread. When it's over, then you celebrate and look at the big picture.

I say crazy stuff in the game threads all the time. There’s people still saying crazy stuff now. There will still be people saying crazy stuff tomorrow. That’s who I’m referencing.

I’ll give you my perspective.

Been on this board a while.

Basketball forum has typically been the most level headed place on the entire forum.

But over the last year or so we’ve lost many of the longtime, rational and knowledgeable basketball posters that have always been the core of this forum. (If not outright gone then their post counts are way down)

In their place, we’ve seen an influx of the confidently incorrect, hot take machines that don’t really seem to understand the game of basketball at all.

It always makes me laugh to see fans be so reactionary. The CBB regular season is 3 times as long as football season but people still react to individual games and even plays like they would watching football. We are consistently one of the top programs in the country under Barnes... do people forget that we have never experienced this level of consistent success before? Enjoy the journey, appreciate the talent we bring in every year and understand that we have a shot every year to do things we have almost never done before.

It always makes me laugh to see fans be so reactionary. The CBB regular season is 3 times as long as football season but people still react to individual games and even plays like they would watching football. We are consistently one of the top programs in the country under Barnes... do people forget that we have never experienced this level of consistent success before? Enjoy the journey, appreciate the talent we bring in every year and understand that we have a shot every year to do things we have almost never done before.
This. Stability is key in basketball, maybe more so than any other sport. Anyone who makes it to the tourney can make a run - getting there yearly and getting good draws are the most important part.

I couldn’t watch the second half. Hung out in the game thread during the good times, but had to do some work during what looks like a rough final 20 minutes…..don’t care! We held on for a Top 15 win in front of a definitely not neutral court. Pretty much an away game. Huge win that makes up for last year’s loss in MSG.

The one thing I will say is I just hope we never go back to New York ever again lol. Tired of watching those tight rims and annoying bouncy basketballs.

I couldn’t watch the second half. Hung out in the game thread during the good times, but had to do some work during what looks like a rough final 20 minutes…..don’t care! We held on for a Top 15 win in front of a definitely not neutral court. Pretty much an away game. Huge win that makes up for last year’s loss in MSG.

The one thing I will say is I just hope we never go back to New York ever again lol. Tired of watching those tight rims and annoying bouncy basketballs.

Agreed.

On another subject: someone needs to step up and give a game recap. I just don't know if BTO is gonna or not...It has been one of the best aspects of this forum for years.

Really good teams in college basketball learn how to win when they are not playing well or shooting well, especially against other teams that are talented. Great defense gives Tennessee a good chance to accomplish this.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I’ll give you my perspective.

Been on this board a while.

Basketball forum has typically been the most level headed place on the entire forum.

But over the last year or so we’ve lost many of the longtime, rational and knowledgeable basketball posters that have always been the core of this forum. (If not outright gone then their post counts are way down)

In their place, we’ve seen an influx of the confidently incorrect, hot take machines that don’t really seem to understand the game of basketball at all.
To your point, knowledgeable fans are more rational fans. They understand the nuances of college basketball. Everyone has a right to post, but you can generally tell during and after a game which posters understand the game well.

Agreed.

On another subject: someone needs to step up and give a game recap. I just don't know if BTO is gonna or not...It has been one of the best aspects of this forum for years.
I agree, I miss the game recap threads. Someone more knowledgeable than me needs to start doing them if @bleedingTNorange is unable to do them. I know he said he has been busy lately and hasn’t spent as much time on this forum

I wasn’t able to watch the game tonight but from looking at stats and reading some of the posts on the board, it must have been an ugly game. Lets take the W and move on. GBO!
It was kind of like the Texas Tech game last year but without the big lead. We had a lot of point blank shots at the rim beginning of the game that did not go down. If we make half of those we win by 10 to 15.

Also missing were Aidoo & JJJ which are always good for defense and offense.

It is shocking we won this game when you consider our shooting percentages: 29% FG (our 2-pt %'age was lower than our 3-pt %'age) and 52% FT. SV shot 11% (1 of 9) from the 3-pt line and we had to miss at least 12 point blank shots at the rim (from 2-pt range ON shot 18% (2 of 11) and JP shot 10% on 1 of 10)...not going to win many games when all that happens.

On top of all that, our interior defense broke down too often in the 2nd half as the Terps made some very nice halftime adjustments and seemed to score at will in the paint for the final 20 min.

But, we pulled out a W primarily due to our work on the boards as we basically tripled the Terps on offensive rebounds (20 vs. 7) which gave us some much needed 2nd chance points. Awaka, ON, and JP really showed out on the offensive glass...hope we continue to rebound like this as we clean up the rim shots and free throws.

Quick shout out to ZZ for "player of the game" honors - solid game from him despite some foul trouble and his dagger 3 late in the game gave us some much needed breathing room.

I mean Maryland has a good defense themselves, 30th in points allowed a game at 60.8 and that was helped some by our 56 point performance, but they had only given up 70 twice on the season and those were both in blow outs where they went for 85+

They also have a pretty good offense, only two teams have held them below 70 points in a game, us and Wisconsin (they lost both games).

We took 66 shots in a regulation game though, the most of any game this season, that's a big positive to me. We were only 28.8% from FG, but to be able to create that many opportunities is a big positive. We didn't shoot great from deep, but 33.3% isn't a horrible night either. Santi's shoulder was bothering his shot though and I'm not thrilled that he came in after missing two games and a lot of practice and Barnes played him 37 minutes, but without JJJ I think he felt he needed to keep him out there. That many minutes for Key/Santi contributed to our lapse on defense in the 2nd half more than anything else.

We shot awful from the FT line, that's the 2nd time this year we've failed to shoot at least 65% from there. And both times it was against teams that played very frantic in their pace.

Big take away is how deep this team really is, we only played 8 guys but 2 of our regular rotation players were out. And even then we still continued to play great defense. Giving up just 53 points, 32.7% FG and 8.3% 3PT on a neutral court is pretty impressive. Maryland hit 6 more free throws as well, 17 of their 53 points came from the line.

Not to be “that guy” but I’m curious at what point I’m allowed to start being concerned about JJJ’s health for the duration of the season? Obviously, Rick is making the right choice protecting his player, but from a “goals” perspective, I find it hard to believe this team can win the SEC or make a Final Four without arguably our best player. JJJ has not played much this year. I am getting slightly worried this is a trend and not just a precaution.

Not to be “that guy” but I’m curious at what point I’m allowed to start being concerned about JJJ’s health for the duration of the season? Obviously, Rick is making the right choice protecting his player, but from a “goals” perspective, I find it hard to believe this team can win the SEC or make a Final Four without arguably our best player. JJJ has not played much this year. I am getting slightly worried this is a trend and not just a precaution.

Knees are tricky things. Looks good one day and looks like a grapefruit the next. I don't think he'd be testing it if the docs didn't think it's improving overall. I totally agree about his importance to this team. What a great player and teammate! Get well soon, Mr. James!

I’ll start this post by saying JJJ has been one of my favorite Vols for a long time because of his attitude. He is also a great player. But I don’t see a lot of drop off with Key, Mashack and Phillips getting his minutes. Especially if Phillips continues to develop. I hope he comes back strong but a less than 100% JJJ doesn’t help us much but it is great to have that depth.

VN Store

Back