The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Idk if I just have pent up anger at this team that I’m just now willing to let out, but I’m fed up with ORN. He is a massive detriment if he doesn’t have immense success early in games. Is he even worth playing at all at this point? It’s clear he’s gonna have way more of the games like today than he is 27 point Texas outings. Give Awaka the run and let ORN sulk on the bench. There’s no room for that in SEC basketball.
Trust me, I am similarly frustrated with him. I think it’s worth it to at least see if a move to the bench could spark something in him. Especially being without Josiah, if we can get a positive contribution out of ON somehow we need to try and do it

Reactions: berryvol
As pessimistic as I've been all season and especially in the last few weeks, I don't think it's smart to write this team off from anything except the SEC championship. Inexcusable last two games, however.

I’ll believe it when I see it; but I always remind myself that the E8 team went into the NCAAT with most of us assuming they’ll exit early.

Reactions: Govolsman98
Most people that respond to losses don’t care about regular season records anyway and only the NCAA tourney results. We still have a chance to get everyone healthy and ready for tourney time, just not the seed we wanted. Maybe the 4 guard lineup needs to be implemented more often to jump start the offense
Sure, all will be forgiven if they can get out of the first weekend. But completely falling apart at the end of games doesn’t bode well for doing that

As pessimistic as I've been all season and especially in the last few weeks, I don't think it's smart to write this team off from anything except the SEC championship. Inexcusable last two games, however.
I don’t think we can write them off either. I said this Wednesday, but we could lose out and randomly put it together in the NCAAT. But there are some glaring warning signs about this team that continue to get worse.

Not to go on a tangent here, but more to your point: the last 3 conference losses we have aren’t even bad in a vacuum. 2 on the road vs rivals and the other a 40 foot contested buzzer beater by a team that couldn’t miss. The main issue is that we seem to be completely falling apart the last two week. I guess that’s a double edged sword: if we bounce back, this team has some gumption and may be able to enter the games that count on a hot streak. If we don’t, we can go ahead and pencil in a disappointing March.

Trust me, I am similarly frustrated with him. I think it’s worth it to at least see if a move to the bench could spark something in him. Especially being without Josiah, if we can get a positive contribution out of ON somehow we need to try and do it
I don’t disagree. Like I said, I feel like I’m just letting out a lot of pent up frustration with this team tonight. The season is still young - lots of good ball to be played before March. We are just really collapsing the last few it seems and it’s made even worse by the fact we choked one away after battling all the way back tonight.

Vescovi, Mashack, Key and ZZ led the comeback and expended a lot of energy. Tired legs produce late FT misses. Lack of guard depth and losing ZZ to fouls beat us.
Mizzou could not miss. Banked threes and the last shot, they were unconscious.
If Phillips had not gotten hurt then probably no comeback.
This team played up to their potential in 1st half of season and now is struggling. We just need to make the NCAA tourney. With all it’s short comings, this team can still beat anyone in country when they are together and hitting shots.

Sure, all will be forgiven if they can get out of the first weekend. But completely falling apart at the end of games doesn’t bode well for doing that
The % was in our favor on both those game winning shots (what ~35% for a decent 3 pt shooter). Vescovi has to hit those free throws. Maybe he will hit them “when they really matter” in March

You would think, but these people will be happy with nothing short of a title. Make second weekend and they’ll say Barnes can’t make a F4. Make the title and they’ll say he’ll never get us the the level we have the potential to be at. You can’t please some people.

Reactions: BJAVol
I don’t disagree. Like I said, I feel like I’m just letting out a lot of pent up frustration with this team tonight. The season is still young - lots of good ball to be played before March. We are just really collapsing the last few it seems and it’s made even worse by the fact we choked one away after battling all the way back tonight.

For me it’s that it seems like since 2019 when the talk of how great we are starts, we start to not live up to it. Feels like it’s happening again, and this time more like the 2021 team.

For me it’s that it seems like since 2019 when the talk of how great we are starts, we start to not live up to it. Feels like it’s happening again, and this time more like the 2021 team.
Yuppp, I made this same comparison Wednesday night. The 2021 team played elite defense but had a million offensive red flags. It was so obvious they were gonna lose R64, especially after they lost to that turd of an auburn team to end the season. This year, there’s plenty of time to bounce back. I’m still holding out hope, but I’ll forgive those who doubt we will tho.

I’m confused. Seems like the same dolts that are always saying that the regular season doesn’t matter are now having a meltdown. In the regular season.

Yeah but at the same time, many that have argued that regular season does matter are trying a bit too hard to explain away this stretch and acting like it…..doesn’t really matter.

You would think, but these people will be happy with nothing short of a title. Make second weekend and they’ll say Barnes can’t make a F4. Make the title and they’ll say he’ll never get us the the level we have the potential to be at. You can’t please some people.
Yeah, I almost put “All will be forgiven in my book” or something to that effect

Yeah but at the same time, many that have argued that regular season does matter are trying a bit too hard to explain away this stretch and acting like it…..doesn’t really matter.

Of course it matters. Always does. However I don’t think that the resulting seeds are as critical this year compared to the usual when there used to be 4 or 5 blue bloods that bought up ALL of the talent and you really needed to avoid playing them early. Other than Purdue’s freakish center, I don’t see a lot of difference between the bottom of the top 10 and those that are just outside of the top 25.

Reactions: TC 83
I’m confused. Seems like the same dolts that are always saying that the regular season doesn’t matter are now having a meltdown. In the regular season.
Give it a rest dude. Being unsatisfied with postseason play doesn't mean that the regular season is inconsequential or that regular season accolades are downplayed. You gotta thicken your skin and be able to acknowledge flaws in the team and coach.

Give it a rest dude. Being unsatisfied with postseason play doesn't mean that the regular season is inconsequential or that regular season accolades are downplayed. You gotta thicken your skin and be able to acknowledge flaws in the team and coach.

Nobody is perfect but Barnes still only needs one deep NCAAT run to be the best that has ever coached at TN.

Nobody seems to remember that 2 starters are out with injuries. One happened just the day before. I thought that the coaching was pretty good tonight. Being down 17 in the 2nd half and most teams would have given up.

Barnes puts in BJ for no other reason than to burn clock while ZZ sits and the board geniuses can’t shut up about his minutes. It was very clear that BJ isn’t ready.

Yuppp, I made this same comparison Wednesday night. The 2021 team played elite defense but had a million offensive red flags. It was so obvious they were gonna lose R64, especially after they lost to that turd of an auburn team to end the season. This year, there’s plenty of time to bounce back. I’m still holding out hope, but I’ll forgive those who doubt we will tho.

We got time and games to turn it around; on the other hand we could completely fall off a cliff with the remaining schedule.

VN Store

Back