The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Goofy mistakes? If you’re talking about getting blocked by a 7-footer, yeah maybe. Just remember ON taking shot after shot against Broome with little likelihood of making a bucket.

The 3-point play was tough, but he didn’t come close to body contact and it was debatable on whether there was much hand contact, if any. I can see where that might be goofy, but nothing our more experienced players haven’t done a good bit.

He fouls a lot. I actually think he had a few go uncalled last night.

He makes some weird decisions on offense. At least, they feel weird. For the most part it has worked well enough. But I’m suspicious that his lack of post moves won’t get him in trouble as more film is available.

And I’m not sure about his defensive positioning / lateral quickness.

All that to say, I think he is gonna be really good. I’m just being overly critical for the sake of it.

Reactions: cardvolfan
It was, but the likelihood of probabilities played a huge role as well. Robbins shooting 18% and hitting 3 threes early. Five things had to happen in the end, and those 5 things happened in 22 seconds. Vandy had to get 5 fouls to force free throws, then Phillips had to pass on the shot, and Vescovi had to miss at the line. Fourth, Vescovi had to come off his man to help down low, and he did. Lastly, the 22% 3-pt shooter had to make the 3. The statistical likelihood of all those things occurring in 22 seconds was very low.

I said it in the game thread, and I apologize for sounding like a giant sunshine pumper, but I’m not really sweating this loss.

I personally felt we significantly outplayed Vandy for roughly 35 minutes, on the road no less. It just wasn’t reflected on scoreboard due to

1.) them uncharacteristically hitting lots of 3’s
2.) the free throw discrepancy

We shot 47% from the field and 37% from 3, so our offense played fine.

We had that offensive drought late in the second and then suddenly bounced back with the Vescovi 3 and Olivier jumper, which I thought was clutch.

Then it alll fell apart with that crazy final 30 seconds which makes it really frustrating.

From my Perspective, we played more than well enough to win and didn’t. And that happens sometimes. And the final 30 seconds was inexcusable and I won’t make excuses for it. It was embarrassing.

But I didn’t see a team that is self-destructing last night. I think we are fine. I felt pre-season we were probably a 7 to 8 loss team. That’s about what we look like. So I’m not crushed. Plenty of basketball left to play. We finished last season absolutely on fire. Maybe we do it again.

He fouls a lot. I actually think he had a few go uncalled last night.

He makes some weird decisions on offense. At least, they feel weird. For the most part it has worked well enough. But I’m suspicious that his lack of post moves won’t get him in trouble as more film is available.

And I’m not sure about his defensive positioning / lateral quickness.

All that to say, I think he is gonna be really good. I’m just being overly critical for the sake of it.

At this point Awaka is the 2nd best perimeter defender of our bigs. Uros fouls a lot and is too slow and Aidoo has looked awful lately tripping over his own feet. ON is better than Awaka though on the perimeter, but I'd give Awaka the edge as an interior defender of those two.

Point is Awaka is arguable as good an option as anyone else in the paint for us...and that's both exciting and disappointing at the same time (we do have 2 senior bigs after all).

Barnes was specifically asked about Awaka after the game and his biggest complaint was that he needed to pass out of double teams in the paint more. Said he's improved a lot with his perimeter defense and didn't really seem concerned about that foul on the 3 PT shooter, just said he has to learn not to reach when contesting those.

I said it in the game thread, and I apologize for sounding like a giant sunshine pumper, but I’m not really sweating this loss.

I personally felt we significantly outplayed Vandy for roughly 35 minutes, on the road no less. It just wasn’t reflected on scoreboard due to

We had that offensive drought late in the second and then suddenly bounced back with the Vescovi 3 and Olivier jumper, which I thought was clutch.

Then it alll fell apart with that crazy final 30 seconds which makes it really frustrating.

From my Perspective, we played more than well enough to win and didn’t. And that happens sometimes. And the final 30 seconds was inexcusable and I won’t make excuses for it. It was embarrassing.

But I didn’t see a team that is self-destructing last night. I think we are fine. I felt pre-season we were probably a 7 to 8 loss team. That’s about what we look like. So I’m not crushed. Plenty of basketball left to play. We finished last season absolutely on fire. Maybe we do it again.

Both above our averages on the season too.

My biggest concern is just the loss of JJJ. Hopefully we can get him back by the SECT so he can help us potentially make a run to end the year on a high note.

Vols at #6 in the athletic power rankings after yesterday's result

Men's college basketball power rankings: Houston is ascending

6. Tennessee (19-5)
We’ll be honest: SEC Network replayed Vanderbilt guard Tywin Lawrence’s game-winning corner 3 about 45 times in the immediate aftermath of the shot, and each and every time we still weren’t sure he got it off his hand in time. For whatever reason, all of those replays were live speed; there was no slow-mo, let alone the angle the officials might have seen at the replay booth. And the shot-to-red-light interval looks extremely tight, so tight that it might not even exist.

Anyway, even if Tennessee had a case about the buzzer-beater (and we assume the refs actually saw definitive footage), it also only had itself to blame. Julian Phillips had a chance to give the Volunteers a two-possession lead in the closing moments, on an easy fast-break dunk, which he instead incredibly passed up and dribbled back out to the wing. It was one of the more inexplicable pieces of late-game decision-making we’ve seen all year. Tennessee, on another night when the offense was just OK and the opponents made enough 3s to hang in, was punished for it.

With JJJ hurt again, Santi often getting shut down, ZZ very average finishing at the rim, and never knowing what ORN or Key are going to bring - the freshmen and other sophomores are going to define this season. TN goes as far as JP and Awaka can carry them and whether or not Mashack and Aidoo can bring something to the offensive end. Somebody gonna have to grow up and step up.

I guess the Athletic is one of the few outlets that are still believers in the Vols. Seen a lot of takes on Twitter basically giving up on this team from other pundits. Maybe the Athletic is onto something. I sure hope they are!

It's a disappointing loss, for sure, but it's not the end of the world. Some notes to ponder:

1. According to a stat discussed in game, we are now 1-5 when playing at Vandy as a top 10 team. Plus, we'll recall that the 1 was a miracle that required Jordan Bowden to temporarily become superhuman. Clearly there is some voodoo at Memorial Gym when we're highly ranked.

2. Last year we were 12-1 in games heading up to the NCAA tourney and seemingly firing on all cylinders. Where did that get us?

3. After last year's baseVols season, we've pondered that it may be better to stay under the radar a bit and get hot later on, rather than winning every regular season series (although that sure was fun!) Well, that would look a lot like what we are seeing now. We are clearing capable of competing with the top teams, just have to figure out how to not play down to average teams, and weather a rough patch.

4. Assuming JJJ is not gone too long, could it be a blessing in disguise by getting additional playing time for younger guys (i.e., Mashack) that will pay off while JJJ returns and is rested?

Clearly I tend to look for the positive, but I'll ride with this team and see how it goes.

It's a disappointing loss, for sure, but it's not the end of the world. Some notes to ponder:

1. According to a stat discussed in game, we are now 1-5 when playing at Vandy as a top 10 team. Plus, we'll recall that the 1 was a miracle that required Jordan Bowden to temporarily become superhuman. Clearly there is some voodoo at Memorial Gym when we're highly ranked.

2. Last year we were 12-1 in games heading up to the NCAA tourney and seemingly firing on all cylinders. Where did that get us?

3. After last year's baseVols season, we've pondered that it may be better to stay under the radar a bit and get hot later on, rather than winning every regular season series (although that sure was fun!) Well, that would look a lot like what we are seeing now. We are clearing capable of competing with the top teams, just have to figure out how to not play down to average teams, and weather a rough patch.

4. Assuming JJJ is not gone too long, could it be a blessing in disguise by getting additional playing time for younger guys (i.e., Mashack) that will pay off while JJJ returns and is rested?

Clearly I tend to look for the positive, but I'll ride with this team and see how it goes.

Agreed on fronts. Truly, the only disappointing thing is that our goal of winning the SEC is likely gone now. But, make an E8 or F4 run and that is probably more enjoyable than a conference title anyway.

Bingo.

I get it, because it comes on the tail of 2 not so great games and people were already panicking, but if you dig a little deeper into it why we lost is much different than what was causing panic. The offense was solid/good, more than good enough to win, like Top 30 type offense which we all have been wanting. The defense was our worst of the season, like sub 150 defensive efficiency type, our season average defense and that’s a ~68-50 type of game.

Now again, I get it because of the current skid we are on, but to me I would feel much worse than I do if we had lost a 46-45 game last night. Now does it mean that the defense is falling apart and whole team is tired and we are about to drop 6/7 down the stretch and be on the bubble? I sure hope not, but if that happens then looking back yes, this wasn’t a good sign and there was no silver lining…but if we took some offensive steps and get back to our season long defense we’ve had and go 6-1 down the stretch then this loss doesn’t really look bad at all (Q2) and it’s just a speed bump.

**back to hiding I go**

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I still feel like perhaps this year our run in March is going to be highly dependent on the draw, even more so than normal.

We clearly have a weakness. Teams with strong inside games and competent 5-men give us fits. Inexplicably, these 5-men seem to have their best game of the season against fairly often.

I have some confidence we can make it out of the first weekend or even to an E8 if we draw teams that are more dependent on guard play and perimeter shooting. I would probably be a lot less optimistic and could see a first weekend exit if we draw one of these teams that play inside out.

It’s really odd how in games where the refs refuse to call fouls, we almost always have a key player sitting on the bench IN FOUL TROUBLE.
ZZ has the same disease that plagued SV last season. He’s been picking up SOOOO many stupid fouls early. He’s gotta stop that, it cripples the offense when he does this.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/10/x-factors-uconn-kansas-alabama-tennessee-houston

These X-Factor Players May Shape Men’s College Basketball’s Title Race
The ceiling of these contenders could come down to the performance of a more under-the-radar name.

Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee
Stop me if this sounds familiar: Tennessee is a top team with an elite defense that occasionally gets hamstrung by its own sporadic scoring. The Vols have had success the past few seasons employing similar defense-first approaches—Rick Barnes has done a stellar job on that front—but haven’t made it past the first weekend of the tournament in that period, and have done so just once in his tenure. So while there’s plenty of reason to trust their effort and consistency on the defensive end to keep games close in the postseason, there’s fair skepticism as to whether these guys will actually score enough to make a deep run.

It appears that most of those crucial shot-creation duties will fall on sophomore guard Zeigler, who moved into the starting lineup a few weeks ago and supplies plenty of energy. However, he can be streaky, he’s not extraordinarily efficient and he doesn’t have ideal size with which to impose himself on games: Zeigler is listed at just 5'9" and certainly isn’t taller than that. We’ve seen small guards dominate college basketball in the past, and there’s a lot to love about Zeigler’s approach and effort—he’s quick, tenacious on defense and gets the most out of what he has. But for Tennessee to be a legitimate Final Four–caliber team befitting its ranking, he may have to carry them every night.

After stepping into the starting lineup, Zeigler strung together a series of solid performances, including 22 points and 10 assists in a big nonconference win over Texas, but he’s still prone to the occasional bad game—he’s scored in single digits on seven occasions this season, and against better opponents, that’s probably not going to get it done. Other than Santiago Vescovi, who’s played more of an off-ball role next to Zeigler and primarily moves the ball and shoots threes, the Vols don’t really have other creative players, occasionally feeding big man Olivier Nkamhoua, but mostly relying on group effort to scrap together sufficient offense (they’re among the nation’s top teams in assisted field goal percentage). It’s just really hard to win that way in the postseason, particularly when you’re not a high-end three-point shooting team (32.4%).

Bottom line, there are a lot of sporadic offensive contributors in the rotation here due to the fact that Tennessee runs a lot of sets to get offense—it relies more on flow and doesn’t have a nominal go-to guy (at least not yet). Zeigler is probably the guy who’s going to have to create and take the big shots for the Vols—it may take quite an individual effort from him for Tennessee to get over the hump and into the further rounds of the tournament. But he also strikes me as the caliber of competitor I like to bet on succeeding in pressure situations, and some heroic performances could potentially be on tap.

Reactions: Freak
Better hope ZZZ gets into a groove before NCAAT.

Need to get him some rest, maybe bring him in off the bench. Key seems to have picked it up recently, maybe start him a few games.

Reactions: berryvol
Really hoping for a solid showing today so it’ll run off some of these drive by posters…very interested to see how we handle Kobe Brown, tough matchup for us especially without JJJ.
I’m very curious about how tempo will play out tonight. I think it’s going to be a very interesting game and fun to watch, and I enjoy watching Kobe Brown. I’m curious to see what our offensive rebounding numbers look like tonight. Missouri loves to push quickly, so will we get as many rebounds offensively, and will Missouri get more fast break points because of this scenario. Go Vols.

Did not see this in the b-ball forum so thought I would repost

APPRECIATE THE VOLS TRIFECTA

Often in life you don’t appreciate how good things are until you look back on that time. In the 13 years I have been a Vols fan I have never, not even remotely, seen a better threesome than Josh Heupel, Rick Banes and Tony Vitello and I suspect if I have had supported the Vols for 113 years this would still be the best Trifecta Tennessee has ever had.

Josh Heupel – Not even the first choice, this man not only took over what was often described as “a dumpster fire”, having recorded historically bad seasons but he inherited a roster that was very active…active by leaving via the Transfer Portal. Oh and throw in multiple NCAA violations which were left hanging over their head. Two years later he posts an 11-2 season with the No 1 Offense in nation and a really strong incoming class to add to a well-developed roster. Oh, and Tennessee was also ranked No 1 in the national rankings during the 2022 season.

Rick Barnes – This guy did come with a proven track record, so I suppose you would hope/expect that he would turnaround the Vols and that he did, by winning the SEC last year. The first time for a couple of decades. Year on year we have looked stronger reaching a level that to lose in the “Sweet Sixteen” this year, would now be regarded as a failure. Oh, and Tennessee was also ranked No 1 in the national rankings during the 2022 season.

Tony Vitello – Another appointment, like Josh, who was not a high profile ‘can’t miss’ appointment. Yet, he has improved the Vols to a point where Tennessee are busily adding to the stadium to accommodate the demand that a Baseball ticket has nowadays. The roster is so strong going into 2023 that the entire pitching staff is nationally ranked and if I wished to park my car when going to a game, I would be wise to park well away from the stadium as Blake Burke is going to be “knocking it out of the park” on a regular basis this season. Oh, and Tennessee was also ranked No 1 in the national rankings during the 2022 season.

Try to enjoy where we are as you may look back in about 20 years and think what a great era this was.

I have expanded on this aviewfrombigben.com as I did not want this post to be too long

Go Vols

I’m very curious about how tempo will play out tonight. I think it’s going to be a very interesting game and fun to watch, and I enjoy watching Kobe Brown. I’m curious to see what our offensive rebounding numbers look like tonight. Missouri loves to push quickly, so will we get as many rebounds offensively, and will Missouri get more fast break points because of this scenario. Go Vols.
Same here…if we had JJJ I would feel a bit better about playing tempo with them, but I worry about without JJJ. At the same time theoretically our bigs should dominate down low against their frontline, but if they don’t and we have 2 bigs out there they will absolutely expose us on the other end.

VN Store

Back