The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I didn't watch the first half but how did Edwards look? Evidently not great if his play didn't warrant any PT in the 2nd half?

He got a run in the 1st half, ZZ, Santi, and I think Mashack all 3 had 2 fouls. Considering he hadn't played in a few weeks he looked pretty good. Scored 2 on 2 attempts, but both were good shots to take (didn't force anything) also went 2 of 2 from FT, so 4 total points in his limited minutes. He did have 2 turnovers though, and he was solid defensively.

Was clear why he's not been playing imo, I think he could step into a bigger role next season for us though.

Reactions: cardvolfan
His athleticism was on display on a couple plays. Made a three and got into the pain and hit a floater, but made a few mistakes that are to be expected from a FR. He missed a defensive assignment or two and has a couple bad TO's. One he got his pocket picked and one he made a bad entry pass trying to get us into a play.

BJE made a three? What happened? Did Barnes make him give it back?

Reactions: berryvol
He got a run in the 1st half, ZZ, Santi, and I think Mashack all 3 had 2 fouls. Considering he hadn't played in a few weeks he looked pretty good. Scored 2 on 2 attempts, but both were good shots to take (didn't force anything) also went 2 of 2 from FT, so 4 total points in his limited minutes. He did have 2 turnovers though, and he was solid defensively.

Was clear why he's not been playing imo, I think he could step into a bigger role next season for us though.
He missed one three.

I'm not just talking his points production, he's been a turnover machine and even worse he keep making the same type turnover mistakes every game by trying to force passes inside. I don't think I'm alone in saying he's been bad.
I cringe when the ball is in his hands. I just don’t think he has perception and awareness when the ball is in his hands. There was a turnover Saturday he made on an attempted pass that just wasn’t open. There was no way it was getting where he wanted it to go, and it just baffles me as to how and why he doesn’t recognize that stuff.

Reactions: cncchris33
I'm not too surprised by the inconsistent play from ON/Uros...before the season really got going I tried to point out to people that the "experience" was fool's gold because of how few minutes those two have actually played despite being in their 4th/5th years in college.

Santi and JJJ are the only true battle tested and experienced SEC players we had coming into the season. This team NEXT YEAR would be very similar to what Grant/Admiral/Kyle/Bone were in their final year here (if you looked total minutes played).

At this point with how injuries are impacting us I'm just hopeful for a 3-3 finish with a solid showing in the SECT to help with seeding. Then March will be about team health and matchups.

I think Julian Phillips would be smart to come back next season though unless he just has a ridiculous final stretch to end the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Govolsman98
His athleticism was on display on a couple plays. Made a three and got into the pain and hit a floater, but made a few mistakes that are to be expected from a FR. He missed a defensive assignment or two and has a couple bad TO's. One he got his pocket picked and one he made a bad entry pass trying to get us into a play.

Not sure who you are thinking of but that wasn’t Edwards.

Reactions: berryvol
I cringe when the ball is in his hands. I just don’t think he has perception and awareness when the ball is in his hands. There was a turnover Saturday he made on an attempted pass that just wasn’t open. There was no way it was getting where he wanted it to go, and it just baffles me as to how and why he doesn’t recognize that stuff.

I'm sure Barnes wants to strangle him.

Unfortunately most of the guys have a level of inconsistency in their own style, but it really feels like you can at least of late count on the guards to bring it. Maybe the shots don’t fall but they’re going to still play well defensively and rebound etc, I say that to say at this point you’re looking for consistency as a coach, nothing more frustrating than what Nkamhoua, Uros & Aidoo are bringing to the table, Awaka you at least know he’s gonna rebound like his hair is on fire and that he will go up strong around the basket. Big picture meaning, if healthy, small ball with Nkamhoua and Awaka rotating at the 5 likely gives us our best chance of success imo. Mashack can be effective with scorers around him and playing a super small 4 spot in that lineup as he did against Missouri, he can hold his own against bigger guys and his quickness/athleticism on the other end can cause them some issues. The spacing is so much better when we are small and guys like Zeigler, Vescovi and Key are getting way better looks out of that lineup. It may not work, but imo it’s playing to our strengths and most likely path to success, again gotta get healthy though.

Unfortunately most of the guys have a level of inconsistency in their own style, but it really feels like you can at least of late count on the guards to bring it. Maybe the shots don’t fall but they’re going to still play well defensively and rebound etc, I say that to say at this point you’re looking for consistency as a coach, nothing more frustrating than what Nkamhoua, Uros & Aidoo are bringing to the table, Awaka you at least know he’s gonna rebound like his hair is on fire and that he will go up strong around the basket. Big picture meaning, if healthy, small ball with Nkamhoua and Awaka rotating at the 5 likely gives us our best chance of success imo. Mashack can be effective with scorers around him and playing a super small 4 spot in that lineup as he did against Missouri, he can hold his own against bigger guys and his quickness/athleticism on the other end can cause them some issues. The spacing is so much better when we are small and guys like Zeigler, Vescovi and Key are getting way better looks out of that lineup. It may not work, but imo it’s playing to our strengths and most likely path to success, again gotta get healthy though.
Missouri played that spread. Of course, Kobe moves like a 6’3” guard, so that is what they do best. Heck, Heupel spreads the field in football and makes defenses defend boundary to boundary. Spacing, at the least, gets open looks and shooters their shots.

Missouri played that spread. Of course, Kobe moves like a 6’3” guard, so that is what they do best. Heck, Heupel spreads the field in football and makes defenses defend boundary to boundary. Spacing, at the least, gets open looks and shooters their shots.
If we had dominant bigs who hit 65-70% from 2 on high volume it would be one thing, but we don’t…and playing 2 of them together at the some time is just asking for issues.

If we had dominant bigs who hit 65-70% from 2 on high volume it would be one thing, but we don’t…and playing 2 of them together at the some time is just asking for issues.

Tbf nobody has that. Even Edey’s FG% is “only” 63% and he is the best big in the country by a significant margin IMO

Tbf nobody has that. Even Edey’s FG% is “only” 63% and he is the best big in the country by a significant margin IMO
I’m pretty sure I saw something 3-4 weeks ago where several every day players had extremely high percentages. I can’t remember who or where I saw those numbers, but I think I saw them in some something somewhere. As always, I do reserve the disclaimer that I might be wrong.

I’m pretty sure I saw something 3-4 weeks ago where several every day players had extremely high percentages. I can’t remember who or where I saw those numbers, but I think I saw them in some something somewhere. As always, I do reserve the disclaimer that I might be wrong.

The only time you see players get into that territory of FG% are the ones that literally only score wide open dunks, putbacks and lobs.

It’s funny because that high of a FG% is usually a sign that you’re a really bad offensive player. I.E. Mitchell Robinson

Wow. Surprised we stayed top ten. Third top ten match-up in TBA this Wednesday ever, second this season
And how many times has TN had #1 visit? I’d guess KY a few times. Game Notes will be interesting.

Tip of the cap to Bama for rising to #1. It would be a real shame if they turned around and lost their next game….

VN Store

Back