The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

The only time you see players get into that territory of FG% are the ones that literally only score wide open dunks, putbacks and lobs.

It’s funny because that high of a FG% is usually a sign that you’re a really bad offensive player. I.E. Mitchell Robinson
Oh, agreed. A very limited repertoire.

I mean honestly in a "perfect" situation and the team is healthy.

Your 1-3 lineup is ZZ, Santi, Key
You have JJJ & Phillips to rotate at the 4
You ride with ON and Awaka at the 5

Mashack gets minutes playing the 3 or 4 depending on fouls and matchups.

Tbf nobody has that. Even Edey’s FG% is “only” 63% and he is the best big in the country by a significant margin IMO
There’s a few 65%+ guys at 7+ attempts a game, but yea that’s my point, we don’t have that and many teams don’t either. So playing 2 bigs on the chance we run into teams also playing that way seems foolish at this point.

I mean honestly in a "perfect" situation and the team is healthy.

Your 1-3 lineup is ZZ, Santi, Key
You have JJJ & Phillips to rotate at the 4
You ride with ON and Awaka at the 5

Mashack gets minutes playing the 3 or 4 depending on fouls and matchups.
Key has played well the last couple coming off the bench, I’d be tempted to keep him in that spot.

Key has played well the last couple coming off the bench, I’d be tempted to keep him in that spot.

Yeah, that was mostly a "minutes" breakdown not necessarily who I'd start.

The bulk of the minutes for small ball would be ZZ, Santi, JJJ (each getting 30 or more) and then you'd have Key and Mashack rotating in for the 1-3 spots with Phillips also being an option to rotate in at the 3/4 spot.

But I wouldn't have two bigs on the court at the same time. Uros/Aidoo can still get some minutes but they'd have to do it as the only true big on the court.

If you wanted to go with more size you could go with Phillips at the 4 and JJJ at the 3 and then Aidoo or Uros at the 5.

But of course we're not healthy so just wishful thinking...

There’s a few 65%+ guys at 7+ attempts a game, but yea that’s my point, we don’t have that and many teams don’t either. So playing 2 bigs on the chance we run into teams also playing that way seems foolish at this point.

Just in the SEC...

Noah Clowney at Bama 9.8 ppg shooting 68.5% from 2PT with 7 FGA a game
Jaemyn Brakefield at Ole Miss 10.0 ppg shooting 66% from 2PT with 6.8 FGA a game
Makhi Mitchell at Arkansas 7.0 ppg shooting 65.1% from 2PT with 4.4 FGA a game

ON is at 10.7 ppg shooting 56.6% from 2PT (only one with 7 FGA a game)
Uros is at 5.3 ppg shooting 62.4% from 2PT
Awaka is at 3.5 ppg shooting 59.6% from 2PT
Aidoo is at 4.7 ppg shooting 50.6% from 2PT

Hell a bigger worry is that of our top 6 in FGA per game only 2 are shooting above 40% from the field (ON at 54.2% & Phillips at 41.7%). Last year KC, Santi, ON, and Fulky were all over 40% from FG and top 6 in FGA on the team only JJJ and ZZ were under 40% and even then both of them were still at least 38% from the field.

For now at least. IYO what record do we need to finish with one of those seeds?
6-0…1 seed
5-1…1 seed/2seed 50/50
4-2…2 seed
3-3…3 seed/2 seed, 3 being more likely

Obviously can all change based on what others do, but considering projections for those teams around us that’s what I currently see it as.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Not sure what's "god awful" to you, but since the Texas game he's averaging 9ppg. Not great, but it's been a better stretch than the one he had between the 21 at South Carolina and the 27 at Texas. I will say that he was off against Florida and Auburn though, he was just 8 of 29 from the field in those games. And if he's going to take a ton of shots that % has gotta be better than 27.5% since the bulk of his looks are in the paint.

ZZ basically vanished against Auburn and Vandy offensively. 8 points and 2 of 17. That was too much to overcome for us.

Really though Julian Phillips is killing us right now. He's had 1 game with more than 6 points since scoring 10 at LSU, and in that same stretch he hasn't had a single game with 5 rebounds. So it's not just that he's not scoring he's also not rebounding or making an impact on the defensive end.
His shooting percentage has been awful…especially for the number of shots he takes (15-44 and only 4 FT attempts) and the position he plays, as has his general awareness, decision-making, and basketball IQ. His effort is almost always questionable, and he consistently blames teammates for his mistakes. His loss certainly won’t be felt in the accountability and leadership department, next year. The dude is in his 4th year and is still an enigma wrapped up in a riddle as to what kind of effort you’ll get from him. It’s no surprise his minutes have shrunk over the past 4 games. If Nkamhoua had Awaka’s “want to”, he’d be a 1st round pick. As it is, he’s gonna have a mediocre pro career back home in Finland.

Last edited:
Even going 6-0 I'm not sure I'd feel confident we get a 1 seed...of course part of it would depend on other teams and how the conference tournaments go. Still though 6 losses will be borderline at best.

Last year we got a 3 seed with 6 losses and the SECT championship.
2018-19 we got a 2 seed with 5 losses and played in the SECT championship game.
2007-08 we got a 2 seed with 4 losses and no SECT championship game appearance.

At this point I'm hoping we win enough to get a 3 or 4 seed. 2 seed would likely require us to win at least 6 more games (counting the SECT) imo.

His shooting percentage has been awful…especially for the number of shots he takes (15-44 and only 4 FT attempts), as has his general awareness, decision-making, and basketball IQ. His effort is almost always questionable, and he consistently blames teammates for his mistakes. His loss certainly won’t be felt in the accountability and leadership department, next year. The dude is in his 4th year and is still an enigma wrapped up in a riddle as to what kind of effort you’ll get from him. It’s no surprise his minutes have shrunk over the past 4 games. If Nkamhoua had Awaka’s “want to”, he’d be a 1st round pick. As it is, he’s gonna have a mediocre pro career back home in Finland.

Olivier only plays well when everybody else is playing well. I don't even think it's a "want to" problem, I just think he's lacking in the BBIQ department. He doesn't play like he grew up playing basketball.

Reactions: Chunkyvol12
Even going 6-0 I'm not sure I'd feel confident we get a 1 seed...of course part of it would depend on other teams and how the conference tournaments go. Still though 6 losses will be borderline at best.

Last year we got a 3 seed with 6 losses and the SECT championship.
2018-19 we got a 2 seed with 5 losses and played in the SECT championship game.
2007-08 we got a 2 seed with 4 losses and no SECT championship game appearance.

At this point I'm hoping we win enough to get a 3 or 4 seed. 2 seed would likely require us to win at least 6 more games (counting the SECT) imo.
This is the worst year in a long time/potentially ever at the top, that’s what makes it different. We wouldn’t be a 2 seed sitting at 19-6 in years past either, the top of the field is at an all time low.

Reactions: berryvol
His shooting percentage has been awful…especially for the number of shots he takes (15-44 and only 4 FT attempts), as has his general awareness, decision-making, and basketball IQ. His effort is almost always questionable, and he consistently blames teammates for his mistakes. His loss certainly won’t be felt in the accountability and leadership department, next year. The dude is in his 4th year and is still an enigma wrapped up in a riddle as to what kind of effort you’ll get from him. It’s no surprise his minutes have shrunk over the past 4 games. If Nkamhoua had Awaka’s “want to”, he’d be a 1st round pick. As it is, he’s gonna have a mediocre pro career back home in Finland.

Fair assessment for sure. I think with the talent incoming and who we have returning ON and Uros both will be advised not to try and use their COVID year.

Last edited:
Olivier only plays well when everybody else is playing well. I don't even think it's a "want to" problem, I just think he's lacking in the BBIQ department. He doesn't play like he grew up playing basketball.
Part of that may be true, but there has been a lot of lack of effort across his career, manifested most often with regard to rebounding. He doesn’t hardly ever play like a guy I’d say plays the game like his life depends on it. And I think Awaka and ZZ play that way every time they step on the court.

Fair assessment for sure. I think with the talent incoming and who we have returning ON and Uros both will be advised no to try and use their COVID year.
And you know what, that sucks, because ON, on his best day, is a guy we could use, next year. Unfortunately, you only see that version 15-20% of the time.

VN Store

Back