The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

This is the worst year in a long time/potentially ever at the top, that’s what makes it different. We wouldn’t be a 2 seed sitting at 19-6 in years past either, the top of the field is at an all time low.

Maybe, but if the season ended today we'd be a 3 seed most likely.

Houston, Bama, Purdue, UCLA as 1 seeds
Kansas, Texas, Virginia, Arizona as 2 seeds
Baylor, Us, Marquette, Kansas State as 3 seeds (possibly Gonzaga)

And that's just going by the AP rankings without all the back/forth that happens when seeding is done.

I'll just say this, the only way we get a 2 seed IMO is if we don't lose more than 2 games between now and selection Sunday.

Maybe, but if the season ended today we'd be a 3 seed most likely.

Houston, Bama, Purdue, UCLA as 1 seeds
Kansas, Texas, Virginia, Arizona as 2 seeds
Baylor, Us, Marquette, Kansas State as 3 seeds (possibly Gonzaga)

And that's just going by the AP rankings without all the back/forth that happens when seeding is done.

I'll just say this, the only way we get a 2 seed IMO is if we don't lose more than 2 games between now and selection Sunday.
My point was simply that overall it’s down, so comparing to years past isn’t really apples to apples at this point, so many of them already have 6 losses like we do. You’re talking 4-5 B12 teams in that range, they are going to suffer losses as they beat up on each other in the regular season and then B12 tourney as well.

Olivier only plays well when everybody else is playing well. I don't even think it's a "want to" problem, I just think he's lacking in the BBIQ department. He doesn't play like he grew up playing basketball.

Lol when I first read this, I read it as "lacking in the BBQ department"; I was like "man, he sucks at BBQ too? Harsh."

Reactions: johnfnkelly
My point was simply that overall it’s down, so comparing to years past isn’t really apples to apples at this point, so many of them already have 6 losses like we do. You’re talking 4-5 B12 teams in that range, they are going to suffer losses as they beat up on each other in the regular season and then B12 tourney as well.

It's never apples to apples, just like projecting with 6 games left isn't apples to apples with seeding debates after the SECT is done.

I just brought up previous seeding to point out that we've never gotten a 1 seed...and already sitting at 6 losses this year doesn't seem to be a good candidate for it either.

I think we have 4 quad 2 losses as well and Kentucky could become a quad 2 loss.

I for sure would prefer us finish 6-0 and revisit the debate after the SECT championship game we win to repeat. ;)

I love Tennessee sports, but this Barnes hate is so confusing to me. Yes, the basketball Vols have sh!t the bed a few times under Barnes, but not to the level the football team did against South Carolina, last year. Talk about a choke job, that's a monumental choke job. Beat a 6-4 'Cocks team and we are in the CFP and it was a complete embarrassment, imo. We also have the hands down #1 seed in baseball and don't even make the CWS. Nothing Barnes has done compares to either one of those things. But, I don't hear a damn word about those 2 classic choke jobs. Guess the new hasn't rubbed off, yet. Wonder if those 2 coaches get the Barnes-level hate if it happens again ?

I love Tennessee sports, but this Barnes hate is so confusing to me. Yes, the basketball Vols have sh!t the bed a few times under Barnes, but not to the level the football team did against South Carolina, last year. Talk about a choke job, that's a monumental choke job. Beat a 6-4 'Cocks team and we are in the CFP and it was a complete embarrassment, imo. We also have the hands down #1 seed in baseball and don't even make the CWS. Nothing Barnes has done compares to either one of those things. But, I don't hear a damn word about those 2 classic choke jobs. Guess the new hasn't rubbed off, yet. Wonder if those 2 coaches get the Barnes-level hate if it happens again ?
This is the distinction. If that kind of thing keeps happening, they'll get the same heat I'd think

Responding to imbecile negavols by bashing our other teams is extremely wrongheaded, my friend. Don't go Cal vs Stoops self-destructive on us.

And it appears, in addition, that you don't read the football forum because you would see the same style idiots waiting for a chance to pounce.

All for one and one for all.

Reactions: The Dog
This is the distinction. If that kind of thing keeps happening, they'll get the same heat I'd think
Yeah I was about to say, the only difference is Barnes has been much longer than either of those two.

If Vitello has a great season every year, is number 1 in the country, but doesn't make Omaha, then he will get heat

If Heupel goes 10-2, and losses to a **** team or slips up, then he will get the heat as well. Although 10-2 will be playoff caliber in a few years lol

Putting the negativity beside, I think Barnes is here to till the end of his contract, unless everything just blows up or his health catches up to him, which I'm fine with, I enjoy our team and where our program is now.

Sure it was a collapse it was Heup’s second season. Lol he had UT in places that took Barnes 4 years to sniff.

It absolutely will. If TV doesn't make Omaha this year it will ramp up, and if we take a step or 2 back next season in football it will start to build.

Mizzou shot over 50% from 3 with nearly 30 attempts and we lost by a last second buzzer beater. The game was absolutely variance.

About 3/4 variance with 1/4 being our mental collapse in the final minute.

Vandy game was similar. If our offense keeps playing this well, it wouldn’t shock me if we pounded Alabama. No cap.
If we face Bama without JJJ and Phillips then our chances go down significantly

Reactions: berryvol
Idk much about hip flexors. Anyone know the recovery timeline for those?
Quick google search says 7-10 days of rest typically, it’s essentially a pain tolerance thing. He injured it Thursday or Friday and gave it a go on Saturday and played pretty well I thought, coming off the floor at half he was in pain and Barnes said he wasn’t coming back in.

Quick google search says 7-10 days of rest typically, it’s essentially a pain tolerance thing. He injured it Thursday or Friday and gave it a go on Saturday and played pretty well I thought, coming off the floor at half he was in pain and Barnes said he wasn’t coming back in.

That makes me slightly optimistic. At his age with a full medical/PT team at his disposal.

VN Store

Back