The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I wouldn’t say we have “offensive woes”. We played a bad first half but we scored 50 in the 2nd half against a Top 10 KenPom defense and this year our offense is #23 in AdjO which is the highest it’s been since the 2018-2019 squad. And we’re improving each week.

Our defense is directly responsible for 2 of our 4 losses.
I don't disagree. We did give up 77 points against MS St and a ton against UNC. The author seems to be addressing the inconsistency of the offense.

This forum is just full of misery...we smoke Ole Miss and have basically a complete game.

36 pages to that thread, but bad 1st half and a tough road loss (which most regular bball fans thought could happen) and that thread is at 69 pages and counting....

I don't get it man, why do our fans only wanna show up to bitch & moan and complain about our team/coaches? Frustrates me to no end.

FAIRWEATHER FANS

I was thinking we'd probably be a 7 or 8 loss team this year...and last night's game was the 6th toughest on the schedule in SRS. I feel like we really need to go undefeated going into the game at Rupp. Bama will be a tough out, but we play them here at TBA and they don't have a big that's really dominate like we seem to struggle with.
Isn’t that the opposite of fair weather fans?

While lots went wrong today, one HUGE thing that encourages me: a typically average team went SCORCHING hot today. We weren’t in the comfort of our own building. We were out of sorts for most of the game.

What does this remind you of?

Ding ding ding - a tournament game.

What have we done in the past (even as recent as Tuesday)? Crumble, miss shots, foul, turn the ball over, etc, etc, etc. Today thought, we saw DK take over and win the game for us. Exactly what we’ve been missing in the past.

There’s tons of bad to take from today, but that’s going to happen in a lot of conference games. Today, we stepped up to the challenge and won in spite of it and that’s what gives me hope that this team can be special.

Now, rest up quick so we can kick the gators ass with much less drama on Tuesday.

While lots went wrong today, one HUGE thing that encourages me: a typically average team went SCORCHING hot today. We weren’t in the comfort of our own building. We were out of sorts for most of the game.

What does this remind you of?

Ding ding ding - a tournament game.

What have we done in the past (even as recent as Tuesday)? Crumble, miss shots, foul, turn the ball over, etc, etc, etc. Today thought, we saw DK take over and win the game for us. Exactly what we’ve been missing in the past.

There’s tons of bad to take from today, but that’s going to happen in a lot of conference games. Today, we stepped up to the challenge and won in spite of it and that’s what gives me hope that this team can be special.

Now, rest up quick so we can kick the gators ass with much less drama on Tuesday.

Maybe, just maybe, someday it will be us who is the scorching hot team in the tournament.

I know its probably been said, so sorry if it has. Does anyone know whats up with DJ Jefferson only getting 3 minutes on the year?

Best I can tell, he’s just not close to learning what he needs to know to compete at the SEC level. Some kids are just slow to mature and learn. Injuries and attitude don’t seem to be problems.

Maybe it is taking drastic measures by the staff to anttempt to bring out his talent.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I cannot believe we beat a team that hit 14 threes and were 50% from the perimeter with just a few minute left. They still finished at 43% after chucking up some prayers late.

Frustrating game but we WON which is the only thing that matters. Dalton Knecht continues to be everything we could have hoped for but we can’t expect him to average 30+ in conference play so we have to get him some help from the bench moving forward.

Can we also talk about how much better Dalton Knecht is on defense now? He’s not our best defender by any means, don’t get me wrong, but he isn’t getting blown by consistently like he was early in the year and he’s not a liability on that end.

He said when he came here he chose Tennessee to work on his defense and it certainly looks like it’s paying off.

Little something I threw together after another monster performance!
View attachment 609932
Just as an acknowledgement that I won't be stubborn on our conversation earlier this week, I won't do anything to defend JJJ, today. He was downright bad in every phase except rebounding.

Beyond that, it was his 5th straight game where he has shot under 50%. He's 13-57 in the past 5 games (22.8%). That won't cut it. We need better.

Can we also talk about how much better Dalton Knecht is on defense now? He’s not our best defender by any means, don’t get me wrong, but he isn’t getting blown by consistently like he was early in the year and he’s not a liability on that end.

He said when he came here he chose Tennessee to work on his defense and it certainly looks like it’s paying off.
Not only this, but he’s been rebounding well the last few weeks as well. I know he has a few obvious missed box outs every game, but his attention to non offensive stuff has greatly improved over the course of the season. Excited to see where he ends up in march.

Just as an acknowledgement that I won't be stubborn on our conversation earlier this week, I won't do anything to defend JJJ, today. He was downright bad in every phase except rebounding.

Beyond that, it was his 5th straight game where he has shot under 50%. He's 13-57 in the past 5 games (22.8%). That won't cut it. We need better.
Yeah, tough to watch wonder if anything is off?

And Santi still got 2 early fouls 😂. I wish he’d be more aggressive, he’s playing the 4 most the game and you’d think he has an advantage on offense with his speed & handles against whoever is on him. Just not seen him take advantage, long 3s bailing his defender out.

I don’t think Santi will see many 10 shot nights this season with DK, ZZ & Aidoo on the court. So I just want to see him play smarter defense and stop riding pine!

I think that if ZZ was at full speed from day 1 there’d be a whole different outlook for Gainey. He began the year as a primary, maybe THE primary, PG. His role changed when ZZ returned so quickly. Gainey got a taste of being a high minute and high attempt shooter early on. Then he’s had to play less and at a different position. There’s still time for him to become a 10 mpg player this year that provides an offensive spark or stepping up as a solid player coming off of the bench when a guard gets into foul trouble.

As long as ZZ and Santi are healthy, Gainey’s opportunity this year is as a role player.

2 questions for ya’ll

Which do you feel stronger about? We won or UGA choked?

Where do you think we’ll be ranked in the polls tomorrow?

1) I think we won more than UGA choked. Although anytime you go on a 21-4 run to win a game it’s always a bit of both. I think our ball pressure significantly changed in intensity those final 7 minutes, which resulted in UGA taking bad shots and being unable to score. And we also took smarter shots ourselves and rebounded exceptionally well. So, I’ll say I feel stronger about us winning.

2) I think we stay at #5. I bet UNC jumps ahead of us, but Houston falls below us after going 0-2 to unranked teams on the road. Every other top 10 team has lost except UConn and Illinois. And I can’t see Illinois jumping 5 spots in the poll from 10 to 5, especially since we beat them.

2 questions for ya’ll

Considering we’ve made those runs against UNC & Miss State I think it’s more that we won. Basketball is about runs and it was just a matter of time before we made ours dead legs kill jump shots, so them cooling off from deep was expected. Really liked that Barnes adjusted to officiating & had the guys force the issue by driving to the rim.

I think we’ll be top 10, Houston should take a bit of a tumble and other than UNC no one else did enough to jump us imo.

2 questions for ya’ll

I don’t think we’ll fall more than 1 spot in the rankings with Kentucky and Arizona also losing games this week. UNC will probably be ranked ahead of us. I say we’ll fall 1 spot to 6th.

Well, that’s disappointing. No early game because it snowed in Buffalo.

I love snow games, but I guess it’s extreme and somebody would die.

The ESPN2 TV crew couldn’t make it to Ames, Iowa last night so they subbed in a local broadcast crew and moved it to ESPN+.

The ESPN2 TV crew couldn’t make it to Ames, Iowa last night so they subbed in a local broadcast crew and moved it to ESPN+.
I’m ready for this cold front to be over. Currently dealing with a frozen pipe. No bueno.

Something like 1 to 2 feet of snow expected today and tonight, with over 3 feet in some areas due to banding. They'll need tomorrow morning to dig and plow enough to have parking and seating.

Something like 1 to 2 feet of snow expected today and tonight, with over 3 feet in some areas due to banding. They'll need tomorrow morning to dig and plow enough to have parking and seating.

They’ll have a hard time getting the game in. I wonder if moving it somewhere farther south is in play. But they really can't delay it or it will have a ripple effect disrupting the playoffs.

VN Store

Back