The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Gotta admire Mizzou. They have a lot of shortcomings on this team, but they’re not backing down from Bama, even with Bama’s antics. Not likely that Mizzou wins, but I give them credit for not taking any ish off of Nate Oats and his less than classy group.

DW won’t hire this clown whenever Barnes retires.

Talk about a bad culture fit.
I might be wrong but he hired him at Buffalo. Again I might be wrong and I don’t feel like looking it up but I’m pretty sure he hired him and Kansas’ football coach while at Buffalo. Both excellent coaches. (Not talking about their character)

I might be wrong but he hired him at Buffalo. Again I might be wrong and I don’t feel like looking it up but I’m pretty sure he hired him and Kansas’ football coach while at Buffalo. Both excellent coaches. (Not talking about their character)

You’re correct. DW hired him at Buffalo.

Reactions: cardvolfan
He was getting the player out of his huddle. Not worthy of a tech.
You have to watch the full video. It was right after a whistle, and there was not a huddle. There’s kind of an unwritten rule for a coach to stay out of ghat kind of stuff. Oats has definitely had some prior issues, too.

Nate Oates just approached a Missouri player in a scrum and pushed him. How is that not a tech?
I completely disagree with your statement. He didn’t approach a player in a scrum. A couple players were yapping during a dead ball while he was setting up a huddle. He broke it up and got the opposing players out of his huddle. What do you want him to do? Let them fight? How soft are we that this is something we’re outraged about? Non-story IMO.

I completely disagree with your statement. He didn’t approach a player in a scrum. A couple players were yapping during a dead ball while he was setting up a huddle. He broke it up and got the opposing players out of his huddle. What do you want him to do? Let them fight? How soft are we that this is something we’re outraged about? Non-story IMO.
There was no huddle. Deal with your own player rather than talking **** to an opposing player and pushing them. Let the ref handle the opposing player.

You have to watch the full video. It was right after a whistle, and there was not a huddle. There’s kind of an unwritten rule for a coach to stay out of ghat kind of stuff. Oats has definitely had some prior issues, too.
Agree to disagree. Just my opinion. He’s breaking up a fight.

Agree to disagree. Just my opinion. He’s breaking up a fight.
Just watch the full video. The Missouri player was talking to another player with a teammate at his side, and there wasn’t a huddle. He can encourage the guy to move along without touching him. Something that you will never see Rick Barnes do.

There was no huddle. Deal with your own player rather than talking **** to an opposing player and pushing them. Let the ref handle the opposing player.
I think the issue for Oates was, it's impossible for you or your players--even in the attempt to avoid conflict--to walk away from your own bench or huddle area. I mean... where ya gonna go?

Since a ref was right there, I'll bet the key was what the ref heard Oates saying to the Mizzou player. If Oates was saying, "Get outa my huddle!" the ref might've pulled the trigger.

But if the ref heard Oates saying something positive like, "Son, you don't want to get a technical. Go to your coach and get re-set to play," the ref was probably appreciative, regardless of the hands-on approach.

EDIT:
LOL! Of course, I wrote the above before I saw the replay. NAH! Oates was being a jerk.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
I realize I’m apparently in the minority here, and I’m honestly fine with that. No disrespect, just my opinion. He’s breaking up a fight and getting a guy away from his bench. Agree to disagree, go vols.
He can just do that by going over to his own player and moving him away and let the official get the Mizzou guy away. That’s what a logical coach would do.

VN Store

Back