The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

kinda tough to have an honest conversation about nepotism without mentioning how it applies to all our leaders 🤷‍♂️

But if you’re not really worried about it and would rather pretend that it’s unique to the lakers, go right ahead.

View attachment 656512

You’re taking a lot of liberties describing my opinion.

I really can’t think of a comparable draft scenario in any sport. But if you want to be an over the top LeBron fan boy, have at it.

The current team—minus Polish Olympian Igor Milicic (Congrats!!)—will get a short break with the holiday weekend before returning for the second leg of summer workouts.

Felix Okpara is a guy we’ve heard good things about pretty consistently just regarding his work ethic, high-motor and high-end athleticism. Tennessee was looking for an effective rim protector to replace Jonas Aidoo and there may not be any drop off on that end of the court. In fact Okpara may be more effective when you’re just talking about a shot-blocker.

Newcomers Chaz Lanier and Darlinstone Dubar have both displayed the kind of offensive skill in the gym that made them such coveted targets. No one is suggesting Tennessee has another Dalton Knecht in the fold, but there is a feeling that both should be—at the very least—effective offensive players at this level.
On the recruiting front the last two weekends have been two of the favorite evaluation windows for many college coaches. Tennessee’s staff and every other college coach in America will descend on Augusta next weekend for the NIKE Peach Jam, which starts next Saturday.

Going into July we would consider Tennessee’s board to be maybe a little less defined than in the ‘pre-transfer portal’ era, but this would be a list of 2025 guys we would say to ‘keep an eye on’ in July in terms of who the staff is tracking based on what we’ve been hearing and where they’ve spent their energies previously.

Darius Adams
Chris Cenac
Acaden Lewis
Amari Evans
Tounde Yessufou
Brayden Burries
Nate Ament
Mikey Williams
Kaden Magwood
Eric Riebe
Braylen Mullins
Dewayne Brown (commitment)
-VQ

You’re taking a lot of liberties describing my opinion.

I really can’t think of a comparable draft scenario in any sport. But if you want to be an over the top LeBron fan boy, have at it.
Well I did explicitly say that I was lumping you in with everyone else with the same lazy take so you can choose how much applies to you individually.

Don’t think I mentioned lebron once and am pretty sure I called the situation “bad” and “icky” but whatever. I think that probably sums up your actual sentiment pretty well. This was never actually about nepotism at all.

But if you’re curious about similar situations, you can google coaches/GMs drafting their relations and find plenty of examples just from the NBA. I’ve already spent WAY more time talking about this than it’s worth when my original point was that it was a waste of time to discuss.

Well I did explicitly say that I was lumping you in with everyone else with the same lazy take so you can choose how much applies to you individually.

Don’t think I mentioned lebron once and am pretty sure I called the situation “bad” and “icky” but whatever. I think that probably sums up your actual sentiment pretty well. This was never actually about nepotism at all.

But if you’re curious about similar situations, you can google coaches/GMs drafting their relations and find plenty of examples just from the NBA. I’ve already spent WAY more time talking about this than it’s worth when my original point was that it was a waste of time to discuss.

Google GMs DRAFTING relations or Google players that are RELATED to other coaches/players?

Bronny averaged about 4/5 ppg. You’re bothered that I have an issue with LeBron drafting him.

Google GMs DRAFTING relations or Google players that are RELATED to other coaches/players?

Bronny averaged about 4/5 ppg. You’re bothered that I have an issue with LeBron drafting him.
I’m bothered by all the lebron haters who just discovered that nepotism exists last week and all the subsequent pearl clutching. This isn’t new and nobody has any appetite for changing it. They all just want to get their takes off and pretend like this wasn’t an issue last week and wouldn’t be an issue now except for lebron.

What gets to me about the nepotism talk with Bronny is that nepotism was really behind the Chandler pick for Memphis and his subsequent contract, in spite of his achievements. The Grizzlies knew he wouldn’t be useful to them on the court but wanted to do a favor for Ja Morant. As much as we thought of him, he was only worth a second round pick because it made Ja happy. With most second round picks lucky to last a year in the NBA, it’s a sound investment to use them to keep your veterans happy if you can’t move them in trades and you have a stable roster.

What gets to me about the nepotism talk with Bronny is that nepotism was really behind the Chandler pick for Memphis and his subsequent contract, in spite of his achievements. The Grizzlies knew he wouldn’t be useful to them on the court but wanted to do a favor for Ja Morant. As much as we thought of him, he was only worth a second round pick because it made Ja happy. With most second round picks lucky to last a year in the NBA, it’s a sound investment to use them to keep your veterans happy if you can’t move them in trades and you have a stable roster.

I know Ja was friends with Chandler but I cannot imagine Ja required the Grizzlies to draft Chandler and give him a pretty massive (at the time) 2nd round pick contract just to keep Ja happy. I don’t think they were THAT close. Is there evidence or an article somewhere suggesting that?

I know Ja was friends with Chandler but I cannot imagine Ja required the Grizzlies to draft Chandler and give him a pretty massive (at the time) 2nd round pick contract just to keep Ja happy. I don’t think they were THAT close. Is there evidence or an article somewhere suggesting that?

Chandler is a heck of a player as well. He’s UT’s most talented PG ever, so taking a chance that it would have translated to the NBA wasn’t a bad bet.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don’t think anyone has published anything about him putting his foot down about it, but he openly campaigned for the selection. During Chandler’s rookie season Morant got himself suspended for his off the court activities and the team changed their approach to him, cutting Chandler during his first suspension.

I’m bothered by all the lebron haters who just discovered that nepotism exists last week and all the subsequent pearl clutching. This isn’t new and nobody has any appetite for changing it. They all just want to get their takes off and pretend like this wasn’t an issue last week and wouldn’t be an issue now except for lebron.

I am confused why it bothers you that people on a basketball message board are questioning why Bronny James was drafted in the second round of the NBA Basketball Draft, and then given the contract he was given. Considering this is a basketball message board and where people are also talking about the same basketball team where Dalton Knecht (Tennessee player) was drafted in the first round, I do not get your angst at them questioning the second round draftee in this situation. Finally, and considering nepotism, can you list the other NBA players' sons that were drafted with such lack of prior production and given the type of contract he just received?

By the way, I agree that nepotism exists elsewhere. No where likely more prevalent and accepted than in Hollywood, the arts, and in the narcissistic worlds of news media, movies, and political offices.

I am confused why it bothers you that people on a basketball message board are questioning why Bronny James was drafted in the second round of the NBA Basketball Draft, and then given the contract he was given. Considering this is a basketball message board and where people are also talking about the same basketball team where Dalton Knecht (Tennessee player) was drafted in the first round, I do not get your angst at them questioning the second round draftee in this situation. Finally, and considering nepotism, can you list the other NBA players' sons that were drafted with such lack of prior production and given the type of contract he just received?

By the way, I agree that nepotism exists elsewhere. No where likely more prevalent and accepted than in Hollywood, the arts, and in the narcissistic worlds of news media, movies, and political offices.

And NASCAR drivers.

Absolutely agree. Certainly nepotism exists but one would be naive to think this isn’t an egregious example and a story that folks aren’t going to discuss. It’s just not the same as a small town mayor getting his son a summer job with the town. Lebron held the Lakers over a barrel and his kid got a nice contract that was nowhere near deserved considering his stats.

Reactions: Chunkyvol12
Absolutely agree. Certainly nepotism exists but one would be naive to think this isn’t an egregious example and a story that folks aren’t going to discuss. It’s just not the same as a small town mayor getting his son a summer job with the town. Lebron held the Lakers over a barrel and his kid got a nice contract that was nowhere near deserved considering his stats.
I’m not seeing what’s so unique about it. Do you think the amount of money is extreme? It’s certainly big relative to what any of us makes but it’s not that big relative to people getting handed the keys to multinational corporations. Is it the intrusion into sports which are supposed to be more “pure” than the rest of life? It’s hardly unique in sports and isn’t really uncommon for the nba. Somebody posted a whole article full of examples last week (I think in the DK thread). It just seems kinda ho hum. It’s a minor injustice surrounded by major injustices but it gets the eyeballs because it’s Lebron.

I’m not seeing what’s so unique about it. Do you think the amount of money is extreme? It’s certainly big relative to what any of us makes but it’s not that big relative to people getting handed the keys to multinational corporations. Is it the intrusion into sports which are supposed to be more “pure” than the rest of life? It’s hardly unique in sports and isn’t really uncommon for the nba. Somebody posted a whole article full of examples last week (I think in the DK thread). It just seems kinda ho hum. It’s a minor injustice surrounded by major injustices but it gets the eyeballs because it’s Lebron.
Sure it’s a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. This ain’t world peace that we’re talking about. But as the other poster said, this is a sports forum and Lebron James is a big topic in sports. Yes, the money for Bronny is extreme for that position in the draft for a player that hasn’t proven a thing. I don’t recall a late 2nd round pick ever getting a guaranteed contract of that magnitude. And especially for a 6-1 guard that averaged 5 points a game and experienced a serious health issue.

I can count a dozen better players (like JJJ or Bacot or PJ Hall) that didn’t get drafted versus Bronny James and there is only one explanation for it. Bronny got that contract because of the Lakers needing to placate Daddy. Period. When Daddy retires, we’ll find out how long Bronny stays in the league.

I don't think all the LeBron "haters" discovered nepotism last week, it's just this one is so blatant that it's like we're being trolled. There's nepotism and there's like nepotism on steroids.

VN Store

Back