The Official #1 Tennessee vs Notre Dame Super Regional Games Thread (Fri 6/10 6PM EST ESPN 2) ( Sat. 6/11 2PM EST ESPN ) (Sun. 6/12 1PM EST ESPN)

View attachment 461978

Nice read from D1. . .last year's read.

"The drought of top national seeds winning in Omaha stands at 21 years after Arkansas failed to make the CWS field in 2021. The Razorbacks are the eighth No. 1 national seed not to advance to the College World Series. Only two have reached the final series once getting there. "

Here's how often each seed makes the Men's College World Series | NCAA.com

Is what you are saying Willis.........

It just doesn't matter?

Applying a CFB mentality to a game that can be, between two good teams on the best days, a crapshoot, is really something.
Tennessee has been, far and away, the best team in college baseball this year. You think that considering a finish outside the top 8 in the country to be a disappointment, given the season they've had, is a "CFB mentality?"

I am totally aware of the differences between football and baseball in terms of randomness. I think it is nuts that our odds to win the CWS are something like +250; no teams odds should be that good, especially before the Super Regional. However it is reasonable to have expectations to a certain degree, no?

Tennessee has been, far and away, the best team in college baseball this year. You think that considering a finish outside the top 8 in the country to be a disappointment, given the season they've had, is a "CFB mentality?"

I am totally aware of the differences between football and baseball in terms of randomness. I think it is nuts that our odds to win the CWS are something like +250; no teams odds should be that good, especially before the Super Regional. However it is reasonable to have expectations to a certain degree, no?

My expectation was to win the region. The remaining 16 teams can all beat one another on any given day. The 1927 New York Yankees went home as losers on 45 days.

Just tell the kids to relax, have fun, whatever happens happens. We still love them. They don't have to beat Notre Dame twice to be considered successful.

Was posting "nice read" not clear?

Yeah, I know.

But, from here on......it just doesn't matter. Even if play so far over our heads that our noses bleed for a week to 10 days, and God himself comes down and points at our side of field...........we are still going to be the Visitors for the remainder of the season.

My expectation was to win the region. The remaining 16 teams can all beat one another on any given day. The 1927 New York Yankees went home as losers on 45 days.

Just tell the kids to relax, have fun, whatever happens happens. We still love them. They don't have to beat Notre Dame twice to be considered successful.
Successful, yes. Any team that goes 56-7 is successful.

I'm just saying that if you have the season they've had you ended up not even making it to Omaha, it would be disappointing. You'd like to continue to build on and surpass what you did last year. In a way they already have, given they won the SEC regular season and tournament titles. You can be a very successful team and still feel at the end you left something about there. Given how good this team was, I don't think we're at the "everything else after this is gravy" stage.

Reactions: tn4elvis

I'm just saying that if you have the season they've had you ended up not even making it to Omaha, it would be disappointing. You'd like to continue to build on and surpass what you did last year. In a way they already have, given they won the SEC regular season and tournament titles. You can be a very successful team and still feel at the end you left something about there. Given how good this team was, I don't think we're at the "everything else after this is gravy" stage.

Well, tell the kids otherwise. Because, they are tighter than a bunch of ticks.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

I am very happy with our season but like every fan still want more. I have a feeling that this team is the same way. Making it to Omaha will not be enough for this team. These guys have one goal in mind. Winning it all

Well, tell the kids otherwise. Because, they are tighter than a bunch of ticks.
A couple of them appear to be. Not sure about dudes like Honcho and Gilbert. If they are, they do a good job of hiding it.

I'd say most teams at this stage are tight to a certain degree - that isn't unique to Tennessee.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
I actually think the rotation this weekend will be Tidwell, Dollander, and Burns. It’s a series, so it’s a bit more of a normal schedule, and you pitch your best at this point. Beam has had some control issues lately. All 3 of Tidwell/Dolly/Burns have elite velocity and swing and miss stuff. It’s literally a major league rotation.

Why did Beam get the call over Burns in the regional start?

I'm going to guess the plan for Sewell will be dictated by how things unfold. My guess is Sewell/Burns will be the wild cards. One of them will come in for long relief (if necessary) in Game 1 or 2, but I would be shocked if one wasn't reserved for an if necessary Game 3. We'll bring one of them out of the pen in the first two games, and my guess is whoever comes out of the pen first will tell us who Vitello is reserving for a Sunday start.

I guess you could see both out of the pen, but that would mean Beam is the Sunday starter, and considering his control issues lately, I just don't see him starting a winner take all game.

Burns control has been an issue lately. I'd bet Tony will go with the veteran Sewell if there is a game three.

Why did Beam get the call over Burns in the regional start?

Variety reasons, but probably because they felt Burns was better out of the pen and they wanted to prioritize winning Game 2 because losing that game makes it a LOT harder to win the regional. I suspect with a normal 3 game series we see Burns back in the rotation, but again it all depends.

Burns control has been an issue lately. I'd bet Tony will go with the veteran Sewell if there is a game three.

Sewell didn’t pitch this weekend. Game 3 isn’t a guarantee win or lose the Super so you’ll see Sewell Friday night I bet. No way Tony risks Sewell not pitching for 3 weeks in between his start against Florida in Hoover and Omaha.

Remember - The 1969 Mets beat the mighty (then) Baltimore Orioles in the WS.

Remember - The 1969 Mets beat the mighty (then) Baltimore Orioles in the WS.
Yeah, and I'm sure the Orioles were very disappointed. That's my point.

I've said earlier in the thread that any kind of a "championship or bust" mentality or thinking that a season is a failure because you don't win it all is stupid. Tennessee has had a great year even if they don't win another game. However it would be disappointing if they don't make it to Omaha given the season they've had. IMO if they get to Omaha and win a game, everything after that is a cherry on top because they will have exceeded what they achieved last year.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Burns has more stopping potential to shut a team down in mid to late relief. In elimination type games you will do anything to win and stay out of the losers bracket.

Viewed from my armchair, Burns also has control issues, especially with his FB when pitching from the stretch. He's been relying on offspeed stuff in the stretch. I can see him in relief to start an inning, but not to come in and have to pitch from the stretch. I think I would put both Burns and Beam in my pocket and go with. Blade, Dolly and use Sewell if needed in games one and two and if not start him in game three. If we use him up in games 1 or two, then Burns/Beam would have to start game three, and that is of concern to me. Call me crazy but.................

Yeah, and I'm sure the Orioles were very disappointed. That's my point.

I've said earlier in the thread that any kind of a "championship or bust" mentality or thinking that a season is a failure because you don't win it all is stupid. Tennessee has had a great year even if they don't win another game. However it would be disappointing if they don't make it to Omaha given the season they've had. IMO if they get to Omaha and win a game, everything after that is a cherry on top because they will have exceeded what they achieved last year.

Right. I pointed out the 69 Mets just to say anything - literally ANYTHING - can happen in baseball.

VN Store

Back