The Official #18 Tennessee vs. East Tennessee State Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Bailey a better facilitator than Powell is just false. Using a few assist totals from two games against lower level teams is not an accurate gauge.

Right. A weird hill to die on. Powell averaged nearly 5 assists last season a freshman. Bailey is currently at his career high with 2.5 as a 5th year senior.

Reactions: therickbol
I don’t disagree at all with KC/Santi/JJJ, so it comes down to Powell & Bailey…I think both bring a different dynamic and an ability to shoot the lights out. Right now numbers would suggest Powell is a better shooter and Bailey has been a better defender/facilitator…having both of those guys playing well isn’t a bad thing, allows for JJJ to slide to the 4 for minutes and has our strongest players getting the most minutes. I think Villanova will be telling and a first look, but I think come conference games and tougher opponents you’re gonna see…

Chandler 32/Vescovi 8
Vescovi 22/Bailey 18
JJJ 22/Powell 18
ON 11/BHH 21/JJJ 8
Fulky 26/ON 14

Wildcard there is does Barnes go with Zeigler as backup PG or does he trust Vescovi? If it’s Zeigler I think Santi still gets his 30 and probably Powell/Bailey both lose a few minutes.

I'll be interested to see how Zeigler does against better/ bigger athletes. I'd imagine he'll go with Vescovi.

Reports before last season was that he was the best kept secret in college basketball, then got out performed by 2 freshmen in a covid year. He's not good. Powell will have a shot at playing in the NBA. They're not in the same league.

Wee bit facetious…BHH has a shot at the NBA and ON is out playing him? Vescovi was better than Johnson or Springer and both of them are in the NBA…not a great point.

Right. A weird hill to die on. Powell averaged nearly 5 assists last season a freshman. Bailey is currently at his career high with 2.5 as a 5th year senior.
Powell also primarily played PG…I do think over the course of the year the numbers will even out, and I also think Powell is probably the better facilitators but if you anticipate Powell averaging 5apg I got some oceanfront property in Iowa to sell ya.

My point simply was that through 2 games Bailey better than he was last year imo and is deserving of the minutes he’s been getting, we will see how he plays going forward. I’ve not seen anything this year so far that would make me say bench Bailey and give all his minutes to Powell.

And this isn’t me dogging Powell, I was elated to land him and hyping him up more than most posters were, I thought/think he was a massive get…it’s more about I think Bailey is playing much better than he appeared to last year and is deserving of minutes at this point.

I haven't really been watching Powell on D, but it is hard to imagine anyone thinking he was a disappointment. He's been everything advertised on offense.

It is true though, that it appears Bailey has stepped up his game quite a bit.

Maybe the next few games against better competition will let the cream come to the top, but hopefully they all continue to ball out.

Reactions: cardvolfan
3rd on the team in assists, 2nd in steals, 6th in FGA…he’s contributing in other areas than scoring, and the shots he’s taking are good shots.

Yeah, everyone falling in love with Powell cause he’s a stud shooter.

Meanwhile Bailey, Santi, James all play better defensively and without the ball.

We have 3 seasons of big boy ball from Bailey to suggest he is what he is, but after 2 cupcake games you think he's a new player?

Less than 30 games at UT in this system, one that historically takes guards until year 3 to really figure it out.

Yeah, everyone falling in love with Powell cause he’s a stud shooter.

Meanwhile Bailey, Santi, James all play better defensively and without the ball.
He’s more than a stud shooter. It’s too early to put a label on him, but I think you’ll see more than you’re suggesting as the games go by.

He’s more than a stud shooter. It’s too early to put a label on him, but I think you’ll see more than you’re suggesting as the games go by.

I’m not suggesting anything, and I love his game. But he’s got 12 college games under his belt. Still learning the college game and now he’s in a completely different system.

Barnes favors experience & playing tough defense, it’s why the guys getting the bulk of minutes do.

Do you have access to Watchespn? I get it because of Comcast/Xfintity internet and TV package.... if not it's $7+ dollars a month... I use it for many UT sports, especially baseball and not broadcast Basketball etc... live and replays.

He was an older gentleman. Hopefully, he's ok. Man, I used to argue with him constantly

Yeah I didn’t think about that. To be fair he usually deserved the arguments. He had some pretty ridiculous stances, and I don’t think he was trolling.

Reactions: vols 30

VN Store

Back