The Official #21 Tennessee vs. #17 Iowa Citrus Bowl Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, ABC

Throwing the ball up 35 with 40 seconds left is not "getting a shot." Heupel could have brought him in earlier and the game and let him throw. You don't start throwing with a minute to go in the game and up 5 TDs. Show some respect for your opponent.
Woody Hayes 1968, Ohio State v Michigan.

Ohio State scores to make them up 50-14 late in the 4th quarter. Woody goes for 2 after the TD.

Urban legend says they asked him why and he said "because they wouldn't let me go for 3."

The quote from Woody actually was "we wanted more than 50 points."

Football isn't meant to be polite.

Woody Hayes 1968, Ohio State v Michigan.

Ohio State scores to make them up 50-14 late in the 4th quarter. Woody goes for 2 after the TD.

Urban legend says they asked him why and he said "because they wouldn't let me go for 3."

The quote from Woody actually was "we wanted more than 50 points."

Football isn't meant to be polite.

Cool story! However, Woody Hayes went down as the biggest AHOLE in CFB, forced to resign in disgrace. Hardly someone to reference.........

Reactions: VolDave53
Cool story! However, Woody Hayes went down as the biggest AHOLE in CFB, forced to resign in disgrace. Hardly someone to reference.........
That is a true story. Woody always had a temper but truth be known Woody was probably entering the early stages of dementia during his last years as OSU coach.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Being a jerk is actually the sign of a good football coach. Saban, Smart, Hayes, Bear, etc.

Let's not forget General Neyland who was NEVER shy about running up the score.

It's not a friendly sport. You coach players to hit often and as hard as possible. The coach should do the same.

Obviously you haven't watched much Alabama or Georgia football. Both Saban and Smart both try to run the clock out and take knees when the game is well in hand. Even in the Georgia vs Florida State boat race Smart was running pure vanilla plays at the end but FSU was just simply awful. Act like you've been there before.

I have seen Saban run it up on Tennessee over and over again. It’s a bowl game that is meaningless, quit crying

Classless is defined by going for it on fourth down on your 34 yard line in a vain effort to steal the shutout accomplishment of your opponent, and then expect that opponent to just take a knee. If you want mercy, punt the damn football, Iowa!
I don’t have a problem with it either way. It’s football. If you want someone to stop scoring it’s your job to stop them. If you want a shutout stop the other team. I would coach my team to try to get the most out of my players that have worked hard all year. It wasn’t as if Heupel still had all starters in trying to run up the score. He was trying to allow his senior qb that worked hard in this program a moment in a major bowl game before his time was over.

My only concern is that Nico seems to get hit too much. That wasn't too big a deal today, but if that happens every week through the SEC grind, it will be a problem. Hopefully the off season will see communication with the line and Sampson's pass blocking improve. Otherwise you couldn't ask much more. Sure Iowa's D was going to be overrated due to the trash offenses they faced all year, but they were still a pretty good defense. Only gave up 3 real drives to us, we had the defensive TD and started a drive on their 2.

Obviously you never completed for sh!t in your life

If you want your backup to throw the ball, you put him in with 6 minutes to go in the game or somesuch. We had a 35--0 lead with, what, half of the 4th quarter to go? Instead, Heup puts his backup in the game with 2/3 minutes to go in a blowout--and he's got him throwing the ball deep in their territory with 40 seconds on the clock. That's just disrespectful, period. You don't do it. It's not a huge deal, but Heupel has done this a few times and he really should stop. If you want to give your backup real game reps and running our full scheme, then put him in earlier, that's all.

Reactions: carolinaviking

VN Store

Back