The Official #7 Tennessee vs. Syracuse Game Thread, 2:30 PM ET, ESPN2

Obviously Edey is going to be a problem, but we can beat these guys if we shoot well and don’t have careless turnovers. I would run Edey all game long off defensive rebounds. Aidoo, Estrella and maybe Phillips need to have their track shoes on and get up the floor. Aidoo will have a ton of open looks in half court facing up.

Defensively it will be interesting to see how Barnes plays Edey. I would bring help off the weak side if/when he puts the ball on the floor. If he doesn’t put ball on the floor play him straight up. Can’t let him live on FT line. We could play them with small ball at times and double team him immediately in post.
Against Gonzaga, Edey ate it up in the post, but he struggled if he caught the ball farther out, like at the elbow. If he's in the low post we have to double hard every time but i think there are options if he is elsewhere.

Just finished watching the game. A few observations:
-ZZ is still rusty. He’ll get better.
-Aidoo is improving but needs to take the ball up quickly when he gets it down low
-JJJ had a very balanced game
-SV looked good running the offense at the end
-We could have won by 20 if we knew where the sideline was.
-Knect is a baller

Just finished watching the game. A few observations:
-ZZ is still rusty. He’ll get better.
-Aidoo is improving but needs to take the ball up quickly when he gets it down low
-JJJ had a very balanced game
-SV looked good running the offense at the end
-We could have won by 20 if we knew where the sideline was.
-Knect is a baller
Great take--- yes to all--- yeah Aidoo still a bit timid/waiting too long... When he's playing with confidence down low he is a lot to handle. I hope he doesn't run into foul trouble too early trying to establish himself with Edey.

The Purdue fan with the gold hat is…..let’s just say he’s reason enough to want to beat them.
I was soooo embarrassed for that guy. As much as I enjoy watching the Vols win….i will NEVER act that way over a ball game. I’m from the Reggie White school when he was ask if he ever cried over a loss…His reply…”Cry…I NEVER cry over ball games”! I’ll Never forget that.

I have already acknowledged what you are saying. At first I thought yall were saying we wore them down with depth which is not the case. Our depth allowed us to finish the game with three guys out is what was meant. I see that point.
If you couldn't see they were worn down in the last 5 minutes, you couldn't have been watching the game. Your agenda is tired and uninformative

Last edited:
I thought it was a good warm up for us going against McLeod today.
McLeod and Edey are almost polar opposite players, though. McLeod is more of an athletic defender and rebounder. Edey is more of an offensive threat that we will have to account for. McLeod got pulled when we went small because he isn't an offensive threat and couldn't keep up with the pace and movement of our offense trying to guard JJJ and Aidoo out to the perimeter.

Really good win . Start time like morning time in Knoxville explains some of the slow start mostly it was intensity of defense increased 2 fold. Closed 1st half like Top 10 teams should. 2nd half only run Cuse had was 1mn 3 turnovers by ZZ but he came back and played well like we knew he would. The depth of this team is really impressive so many players to go to but still much to work on. Go Big Orange 🍊. Grace Mercey and Peace to all. In CHRIST Alone

McLeod and Edey are almost polar opposite players, though. McLeod is more of an athletic defender and rebounder. Edey is more of an offensive threat that we will have to account for. McLeod got pulled when we went small because he isn't an offensive threat and couldn't keep up with the pace and movement of our offense trying to guard JJJ and Aidoo out to the perimeter.
Sure no disagreement. Still a good warm up navigating such a tall player.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I was soooo embarrassed for that guy. As much as I enjoy watching the Vols win….i will NEVER act that way over a ball game. I’m from the Reggie White school when he was ask if he ever cried over a loss…His reply…”Cry…I NEVER cry over ball games”! I’ll Never forget that.
He was probably 40 something acting like 8. Camera will probably be on him a lot tomorrow.

Last edited:
I believe Edey played about 25 minutes.

Hope UT plays fast when he is in. We can get him tired and help our cause.

Gonna need JP and CP to be effective when they have their chance.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yep. Edey didn’t win POY because he’s a stick in the mud. He’s more athletic than he appears.

Looks like you’re choosing to die on that hill
I can’t imagine feeling confident moving forward if the only offensive production you’re getting from your starting point guard is rebounds and put-backs. If we had a primarily on-ball guard or forward, then sure - but that’s not the case. Mashack isn’t creating offense. We’re at our best when SV’s sole objective is to score off the ball.

edit: if Barnes wants to focus on Knecht as the lead ball handler then maybe I can get around it, but I don’t see that being a common theme till crunch time.

I don't completely disagree, and wouldn't be opposed to either guy starting. I think Gainey brings some offensive punch off the bench that Mashack lacks. I don't have a preference who starts, I guess. They played almost identical minutes, today. Gainey did play his worst game of the year, today.
The board is acting like I’m against Mashack as a player. I’m not. He’s solid defensively and brings a lot of energy, but he’s still a wildcard and not really secure with the ball. He hardly creates on O and still isn’t shooting a justifiable clip to get around that. He’s not a point guard to me - more so an undersized 3.

VN Store

Back