The Official #7 Tennessee vs. Syracuse Game Thread, 2:30 PM ET, ESPN2

If your coach doesn't have enough confidence to put them in the game then it's not depth. We have tons of talent on the bench but with these injuries we are not deep for the rest of this tournament.
We had 5-7 guys playing in the second half when Knecht was out. They were playing hard, relentless defense and converting on the offensive end in a timely manner. No one was committing stupid fouls or silly turnovers. We were knocking down our FTs. Damn, why did we need to play another 2-3 players? Tell me, why should we should have been substituting? Bless your heart

I’m sure it’s been covered but why did Awaka not play? Wasn’t able to watch game, just saw where he only played a one minute

Mashack offered absolutely nothing on the offensive end today. Hard to justify keeping him as the starting 1 moving forward if he doesn’t pick it up.

I don’t see much, if any improvement regarding his offensive skill set compared to last year, imo.

Apparently Tennessee was +15 when Mashack was on the floor (Wes Rucker)....best for #2 on the team.

I'm starting to wonder if this court is regulation size. I know Univ. of Hawaill plays here, but Purdue just stepped on the sideline, Cuse did it once (I think) and we did it 5 times (Gainey 3 times, himself). You might go an enter season and not see that 5 times, and we've seen it 7 times in less than three halves of basketball.
I wonder if it’s the NBA 3pt line throwing them off?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We had 5-7 guys playing in the second half when Knecht was out. They were playing hard, relentless defense and converting on the offensive end in a timely manner. No one was committing stupid fouls or silly turnovers. We were knocking down our FTs. Damn, why did we need to play another 2-3 players? Tell me, why should we should have been substituting? Bless your heart
I said we won this game by having our older players step up and play well. We didn't play a deep rotation at all especially in the second half. We are agreeing on this.

Wait: This game started at 9:30 a.m.? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why?

Trying to get the whole tournament fit into 3 days (Monday - Wednesday). There are 4 games to be played in Round 1. The last game can start at 11:30pm EST at the latest. Work backwards from there and adjust for the Hawaiian time difference.

We just happened to draw the shortest straw with the times slot but luckily didn't have a rough Round 1 opponent.

We are gonna miss Awaka against Purdue

Just said this in another thread, but actually not sure Awaka being out in this particular game matters. He is 8” shorter than Edey. He isn’t winning that matchup.

We’re going to need Aidoo to have a big game but really this gameplan should just copy FDU. Lots of small ball, shut down their guards, and you can win.

I must have watched a different game cause he had several offensive rebounds and put backs. Hit a couple of big free throws down the stretch and played locked down defense on their best player for most of the game.
Offensive rebounds and put-backs are nice, but if that’s all your starting point guard is bringing to the offensive end then you have a problem.

Purdue is going to be a brutal test tomorrow but these are the types of games you want to see where your team is at early in the season. Hope the vols can pull
It off.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I think he got hit slightly too. I don’t think he reacts like he did without contact. Trying to find it again.

Edit: the replay is strange, but I think he got brushed by the offensive player’s shoulder. Vescovi immediately touches his eye/head as he went down. Maybe he saw the elbow flash before his eyes and freaked out.

I thought it was dramatics. But I was thinking he did it to avoid getting whistled.

He had 8 points and 4 rebs, 1 assist and only 1 TO on 3-5 shooting. His ball-handling has improved tremendously. What were you expecting and who would you give his minutes to? ZZ has been much worse, understandably so.
Gainey should be starting at the 1. The offense just flows more cohesively when Gainey is in. I hate seeing our offense look so stale to start games with Mashack starting, but it’s clear I’m in the minority.

I said we won this game by having our older players step up and play well. We didn't play a deep rotation at all especially in the second half. We are agreeing on this.
No reason to go deep. We could have though. That's a fact you don't consider

I'm starting to wonder if this court is regulation size. I know Univ. of Hawaill plays here, but Purdue just stepped on the sideline, Cuse did it once (I think) and we did it 5 times (Gainey 3 times, himself). You might go an enter season and not see that 5 times, and we've seen it 7 times in less than three halves of basketball.

I think the pro lines on the court are screwing with their subconscious reference points and everyone is having a hard time localizing themselves on the edges.

Gainey should be starting at the 1. The offense just flows more cohesively when Gainey is in. I hate seeing our offense look so stale to start games with Mashack starting, but it’s clear I’m in the minority.

Mashack is not the reason we started stale today. Sounds like you just don’t like him. We missed a lot of open shots early. That’s not on Mashack.

VN Store

Back