The Official #9 Tennessee vs. Tennessee Tech Game Thread, 6:30 PM ET, SEC Newtork+

Have a feeling my patience with Mashack starting at the 1 is going run thin very quickly. Really no reason why gainey isn’t starting at the 1 right now.
I think Barnes has a plan. Did you see how many combinations he put on the floor. He is seeing what he has got.
Gainey looked good right where he was playing ... why would we make him a point guard ... he was super efficient at the guard spot!!!

I think Barnes has a plan. Did you see how many combinations he put on the floor. He is seeing what he has got.
Gainey looked good right where he was playing ... why would we make him a point guard ... he was super efficient at the guard spot!!!
He played some point last night, and has played PG in all 6 games so far. (3 in Italy, 2 exhibitions, 1 regular season)

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Spark off the bench with Gainey
Some people are just better off the bench. Come in with better focus, more drive, more determination.
I would put ZZ in that category as well.
Edit ... I am not saying that we will not see Gainey start at PG. Frankly, I have no idea and I love the depth.

Reactions: spyfish007
He played some point last night, and has played PG in all 6 games so far. (3 in Italy, 2 exhibitions, 1 regular season)
There you are! Right on time!
I think it is very cool to have 4 different looks / players who can play PG position.
JM, JG, ZZ, FD ... scouting just became more difficult. :)

Reactions: chuckiepoo
@BTO ... You thinking we will have one or more players who average 30 mpg this year?
I am going with my standard, "Barnes would like to keep the mpg under 26." But I would willing to put an option on Knecht making it to 30. :)

@BTO ... You thinking we will have one or more players who average 30 mpg this year?
I am going with my standard, "Barnes would like to keep the mpg under 26." But I would willing to put an option on Knecht making it to 30. :)
Thats a good question…I definitely think you’ll see guys over 26mpg, but not sure if for the year we will have anyone over 30mpg. I would say Knecht and Vescovi would be the most likely candidates if it were to happen.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
I think I’ve read posts indicating that Awaka, Dilione, and Gainey weren’t 100% healthy last night. And obviously ZZ is taking it slow.

I’d like to see DJ’s offense resemble Admiral’s. We can use some more help in the paint this year and with JJJ, SV, and Knecht in their final year there will be a lot more perimeter minutes available NEXT year.

I’m hopeful that with the extra offensive punch from Gainey and Knecht, there will games that this team just blows out the opponent. There are multiple 3 point shooters to do that. Also, when the long shots aren’t falling the ability to drive to the rim keeps us from being one dimensional.

Positives
Knecht and Gainey raise our offensive ceiling a ton.
ZZ and Vescovi are known producers and weren't overly involved tonight. That should improve.
Aidoo is playing good pick and roll defense and providing good rim protection.
Solid % from 3PT

Negatives
TN Tech is a really bad team, and we had some sloppy moments.
Backup PG play is my biggest concern. Gainey might be our best option. I've not seen much from Freddie that makes me feel confident in him.
Awaka seems to be losing ground to Estrella already. We had high hopes for Awaka but it's not showing early.
One game. SMDH

They want the shooters on the wing. Look at how they have the players running on the break. They keep them out wide, they have the 4 and 5 go to the corner and the 2 and 3 on the wing.

If Barnes starts Gainey, now your bringing Mashack off the bench with ZZZ, FD, TA, JE, and, CP. All your offensive firepower would be in your starting group.
Mashack just isn’t a point guard IMO and will struggle controlling the ball - reasons why we struggled with zakai going down. We didn’t have a confident ball handler outside of Santi who needs to be on the wing.

Reactions: b_gann
ZZ isn’t an efficient scorer.

His role on offense is to facilitate.

But he needs someone to facilitate to.
What exactly is Mashack efficient at on O? Starting Mashack just handicaps our O till Gainey subs in.

Zakai looked pretty good in 2021 coming off the bench as a spark plug, so.

What exactly is Mashack efficient at on O? Starting Mashack just handicaps our O till Gainey subs in.

Zakai looked pretty good in 2021 coming off the bench as a spark plug, so.
My concern regarding starting Gainey is if it truly helps the team. If you start SV, DK, and JG together, will one of them lose some shot opportunities. Also, if you start all three do you run into a substitution that only has one of them on the court or none of them on the court.

He's been so much better than I thought he'd be. He's solid.

Awaka was sick so I'll back off that one. Would you disagree with #2? We've seen 3 live action games, and it's been pretty consistent with each one. I listed more positive than negative.
It takes several weeks of play to make any sort of credible and accurate analysis of the players and situational lineups during the games.

My concern regarding starting Gainey is if it truly helps the team. If you start SV, DK, and JG together, will one of them lose some shot opportunities. Also, if you start all three do you run into a substitution that only has one of them on the court or none of them on the court.
Gainey has shown he’s capable of being a facilitator.

I think that Gainey is transitioning to more of a PG role than a 2 guard this year. I don’t think he needs to shoot but will to keep defenses honest by being a significant threat from the perimeter. SV will be the designated perimeter shooter while Knecht is the designated scorer from whatever defenses give him. With JG, SV, DK, and JJJ all on the court together that even creates high percentage opportunities for Aidoo/Estrella/Awaka. Mashack and ZZ can create matchup problems for opponents.

I think that Gainey is transitioning to more of a PG role than a 2 guard this year. I don’t think he needs to shoot but will to keep defenses honest by being a significant threat from the perimeter. SV will be the designated perimeter shooter while Knecht is the designated scorer from whatever defenses give him. With JG, SV, DK, and JJJ all on the court together that even creates high percentage opportunities for Aidoo/Estrella/Awaka. Mashack and ZZ can create matchup problems for opponents.
From the looks of things, everybody has the green light to shoot 3’s except Awaka, Phillips and Estrella.

VN Store

Back