The Official #9 Tennessee vs. Tennessee Tech Game Thread, 6:30 PM ET, SEC Newtork+

We should have beat this team 172-15 and they only score 15 because we put our cheerleaders in the game. Knecht should have had 50 by himself and a quintuple double.

So disappointed.

Reactions: TennVols12
Have a feeling my patience with Mashack starting at the 1 is going run thin very quickly. Really no reason why gainey isn’t starting at the 1 right now.

Reactions: b_gann
Sloppy at times, but used a lot of different line ups. A lot of things to like. My main concern with this team right now is the lack of front court production, other than that we look pretty solid. Overall, not a bad way to start the year. Looking forward to seeing what we how we look Friday!
Positives
Knecht and Gainey raise our offensive ceiling a ton.
ZZ and Vescovi are known producers and weren't overly involved tonight. That should improve.
Aidoo is playing good pick and roll defense and providing good rim protection.
Solid % from 3PT

Negatives
TN Tech is a really bad team, and we had some sloppy moments.
Backup PG play is my biggest concern. Gainey might be our best option. I've not seen much from Freddie that makes me feel confident in him.
Awaka seems to be losing ground to Estrella already. We had high hopes for Awaka but it's not showing early.

I may get roasted for this. Aaaand I love our veterans. But, vs MSU, those two looked better and allowed a better offensive flow than I've seen in a while around here. I know it was one exhb game. But, for years now when JJJ, SV, and even ZZ control the flow it didn't look like that. We tend to have a lot of head scratching and unsure offensive plays.
Maybe it's blasphemous, but Barnes may have upgraded at the 2 & 3! If so, I hope he is oriented in such a way as to allow the best on the court. 😳 fire away.
Now lets hope by the end of the season they don't look unsure and unconfident like some of the others.

Dalton Knecht reminds me of Ernie Grunfeld with the creative ways that he can score the ball at all three levels.
That’s a great comparison. I hadn’t thought about it until now. Grunfeld was such a great finisher at the rim, and now we have Knecht who finishes quite brilliantly.

Positives
Knecht and Gainey raise our offensive ceiling a ton.
ZZ and Vescovi are known producers and weren't overly involved tonight. That should improve.
Aidoo is playing good pick and roll defense and providing good rim protection.
Solid % from 3PT

Negatives
TN Tech is a really bad team, and we had some sloppy moments.
Backup PG play is my biggest concern. Gainey might be our best option. I've not seen much from Freddie that makes me feel confident in him.
Awaka seems to be losing ground to Estrella already. We had high hopes for Awaka but it's not showing early.
Awaka was sick last night and gutted it out just to play.

Have a feeling my patience with Mashack starting at the 1 is going run thin very quickly. Really no reason why gainey isn’t starting at the 1 right now.
They want the shooters on the wing. Look at how they have the players running on the break. They keep them out wide, they have the 4 and 5 go to the corner and the 2 and 3 on the wing.

If Barnes starts Gainey, now your bringing Mashack off the bench with ZZZ, FD, TA, JE, and, CP. All your offensive firepower would be in your starting group.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back