The Official #9 Tennessee @ Wisconsin Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, Peacock

Was Estrella injured/sickly last night? Very surprised to see Phillips getting early PT, but he appears comfortable and playing with energy. The future is bright also!
Phillips is ahead of Estrella because of Rebounding and Defense. The staff was expecting to redshirt him but he makes things happen around goal in practice earning some playing time. Great problem to have in future with both these guys on our team. In CHRIST Alone

Also, you gotta give Barnes a lot of credit for his exhibition scheduling. Pretty clear he laid that out with an eye toward this years early schedule.
When the crowd was going off last night after Wisconsin finally took the lead I was thinking we've already done this. We will be fine.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Was Estrella injured/sickly last night? Very surprised to see Phillips getting early PT, but he appears comfortable and playing with energy. The future is bright also!

I see Estrella more as a 5 and Phillips as a 4. I don’t think they compete much for playing time.

One of Awaka or Aidoo is gonna need to be in foul trouble in close games for Estrella to see time right now IMO

But Phillips is probably gonna play routinely because we don’t really have any depth at the 4.

And Phillips is super athletic. He fit right in to all the set inbounds lob plays Olivier used to do for us

The last couple years our guys were scared to make a single mistake (turnover, foul, dumb shot) because Barnes would take them out almost instantaneously. Maybe because Barnes now has a pure scorer he hasn’t had since Grant/Admiral days…..

Now he’s yelling at Dalton to shoot the ball and not be passive. Barnes hasn’t been like that with a single player in a while. I’m glad. It’s likely because he knows DK is special and probably going to go gangbusters scoring this year.

Ugh….this is such a false narrative. Why do you keep pushing it? Barnes has taken players out of games for NOT taking shots way more than making an offensive mistake. He has taken out players for missing defensive assignments because that’s what he requires. But he has not just sat players for taking a bad shot.

Barnes hater? Are you freaking serious? I’ve done nothing but defend the guy because he’s the best we could hope for and the results show that. Literally have said multiple times Barnes should decide when his time is up here, not the university. But that is Barnes hating!

Fact is he finally has a dominant ball handler who can score. We haven’t had that in a few season and often times, guys played tight and would assert themselves. This isn’t some grand conspiracy.

Good grief, not everything is a slight or knock. Barnes finally has the ideal player he’s been waiting for after a few years.

Get a grip of yourself.
You’ve moved the goalposts from guys played tight and wouldn’t take as many shots because they were afraid to make any mistakes as Barnes would sit them for anything. Now you’re saying things are different and Barnes isn’t sitting folks as quickly because we’ve got a dominant ball handler who can score. Which is it?

To clarify - I didn’t say YOU hated Barnes. I said the narrative you referenced of Barnes making everyone afraid to play because he had a quick hook was created on here by the Barnes haters.

It’s going to be a great season- let’s all enjoy it because they don’t come along all that often in this sport!

Ugh….this is such a false narrative. Why do you keep pushing it? Barnes has taken players out of games for NOT taking shots way more than making an offensive mistake. He has taken out players for missing defensive assignments because that’s what he requires. But he has not just sat players for taking a bad shot.

Tell me you didn’t read the comment without telling me you didn’t read it.

This team finally has an alpha that isn’t timid or looking over their shoulder if they make a mistake.

“False narrative” “Barnes Hater”

Keep crying about it.

Barnes finally has a player who is going to be a volume shooter who’s going to score points. A lot of points. He hasn’t had this in several seasons.

But please do keep going on and on about a comment that has zero to do with hating or criticizing Barnes and making it out to be exactly that. Especially from someone who’s been crystal clear where I stand on Barnes

God you people could steal the joy out of anything.

Reactions: mackievol
You’ve moved the goalposts from guys played tight and wouldn’t take as many shots because they were afraid to make any mistakes as Barnes would sit them for anything. Now you’re saying things are different and Barnes isn’t sitting folks as quickly because we’ve got a dominant ball handler who can score. Which is it?

To clarify - I didn’t say YOU hated Barnes. I said the narrative you referenced of Barnes making everyone afraid to play because he had a quick hook was created on here by the Barnes haters.

It’s going to be a great season- let’s all enjoy it because they don’t come along all that often in this sport!

Literally the first sentence of your comment:

“This is such nonsense made up by a few Barnes haters on this forum.“

…..but but but i didn’t call you a Barnes Hater…..

I moved nothing. Please tell me where I said Barnes isn’t sitting people as quickly? Please cite those exact words. You people are clowns.

Barnes finally has a team that isn’t gonna play timidly on the offensive end and is gonna play throw mistakes. Somehow noting this is Barnes Bashing when not a single criticism in my comments was actually present.

The last few seasons we never had anyone assertive who wasn’t gonna look over their shoulder with a mistake or play scared. Dalton broke that mold and Barnes now has the alpha he hasn’t had in years.

Hopefully it infects the rest and spreads because this team could be his best roster ever at Tennessee in talent and depth.

Dalton doesn’t play scared / passively. We haven’t had someone who plays that way in a while. This is great

Anyone who’s followed Tennessee basketball would know exactly what I’m talking about with our guys being timid on offense in terms for asserting themselves. This is not some grand controversy.

Barnes finally has the SCORER he’s been waiting on who’s going to go bonkers on offense without fear.

This is a great thing.
Yes, we have had some less than aggressive offensive players. I've always thought it dwas more about the DNA of the individual player rather than it being a Barnes thing. Barnes has always begged his players to shoot more. IMHO anyway

The officiating wasn't perfect and it probably favored the home team a little but it was far better than a typical SEC game.
That was exactly my comments after the game last night. I wish we could hire them for the sec games. The only thing worse than sec football refs are sec basketball refs.

Reactions: Lankykong
Tell me you didn’t read the comment without telling me you didn’t read it.

This team finally has an alpha that isn’t timid or looking over their shoulder if they make a mistake.

“False narrative” “Barnes Hater”

Keep crying about it.

Barnes finally has a player who is going to be a volume shooter who’s going to score points. A lot of points. He hasn’t had this in several seasons.

But please do keep going on and on about a comment that has zero to do with hating or criticizing Barnes and making it out to be exactly that. Especially from someone who’s been crystal clear where I stand on Barnes

God you people could steal the joy out of anything.

Clever attempt at trying to hide what you wrote. How about deleting your first sentence because it is completely false? And Barnes has always asked certainguys to take more shots. This is nothing new.

We can absolutely agree about DK. He is special and Barnes certainly sees it. Just stick with the positive part of your post and delete the false part. Carry on.

Literally the first sentence of your comment:

“This is such nonsense made up by a few Barnes haters on this forum.“

…..but but but i didn’t call you a Barnes Hater…..

I moved nothing. Please tell me where I said Barnes isn’t sitting people as quickly? Please cite those exact words. You people are clowns.

Barnes finally has a team that isn’t gonna play timidly on the offensive end and is gonna play throw mistakes. Somehow noting this is Barnes Bashing when not a single criticism in my comments was actually present.

The last few seasons we never had anyone assertive who wasn’t gonna look over their shoulder with a mistake or play scared. Dalton broke that mold and Barnes now has the alpha he hasn’t had in years.

Hopefully it infects the rest and spreads because this team could be his best roster ever at Tennessee in talent and depth.

Dalton doesn’t play scared / passively. We haven’t had someone who plays that way in a while. This is great
Not my argument, but this is what you said:

"The last couple years our guys were scared to make a single mistake (turnover, foul, dumb shot) because Barnes would take them out almost instantaneously"

VN Store

Back