The Official Evansville @ #1 Tennessee Knoxville Super Regional Game 3 Thread (Sun. June 9th 7:06PM EST) (ESPNU)

I’m feeling calm about tomorrow. We lost one at home to Lipscomb for cryin’ out loud. Games like that happen and they’ve happened this year. We also haven’t dropped a series at home and we’ve been playing against great teams all year. We know how to dig deep, and I know we’ve got more than they do. Bad teams don’t make the supers and Evansville will throw everything they’ve got at us. But tomorrow night is ours. Go Vols!

Sounds crazy to me. They mentioned it was an old school approach. I thought it was to get the pitchers motion down or something… seems like a disadvantage to someone like me who hasn’t played since middle school
It’s a conservative approach that teams use when the proportional walk ratio is high on a pitching staff. I don’t think it was wise given the quality of our hitting. Once they noticed we were doing it, they threw all first pitches in the zone. It really hurt us getting behind in the count so often. We didn’t pitch well, and we didn’t get runners home, but the take call was a coaching error. They are a good team and they scouted us well. They obviously have a read on Kirby, maybe even a tell. He can’t throw to them again. On paper, tomorrow is ours, but today was ours on paper too. Have to play smart and take this one.

Last edited:
So are we. We have a pretty good record after loosing a game this year and we are at home.
Absolutely! Didn’t mean for it to come off that I don't. I wouldn't have watched every game this year if I felt otherwise.

Just meant the aces aren't any different than I expected.

We do what we've done all year and we come away with the win tomorrow.

GBMFO!!!!

Reactions: txbo
It’s the pressure that worries me. It’s a big reason for the curse of the #1 seed. All the pressure is on TN. Evansville won their season already. Vols are a loss away from major disappointment.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
They aren't losing their bats, that's what I'm worried about. The Aces are a veteran squad, they'll come ready to play. They hit like they did today, it's going to be a battle.
That’s a big if, I just don’t see them repeating it.

Reactions: TechnoVol
As bad as we played today, we were one swing away from taking Game 2. We’re gonna be ready, bet on that.
I wouldn’t say that they played bad, just pitched bad. The offense is typically going to have us in every game. 8 runs is plenty enough to win a game. No way out pitching should be giving up 3 homers and 10 runs to a team like Evansville. That was very out of character.

I wouldn’t say that they played bad, just pitched bad. The offense is typically going to have us in every game. 8 runs is plenty enough to win a game. No way out pitching should be giving up 3 homers and 10 runs to a team like Evansville. That was very out of character.
Well I didn’t wanna pinpoint one group and throw them under the bus, but yes lol. One huge swing though and we would’ve took that game, no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: VolPack22
A few observations after attending first 2 games:
1) Evansville plays loose and with confidence as evidenced by their very seasoned lineup.
2) They have at least 600 fans at LNS and they seemed to be loud and pretty classy
3) LNS will be a different environment tomorrow night—hopefully louder and more passionate than today.
4) CMO will be back at 2B tomorrow. I hope he’s better as his leg was obviously giving him discomfort today. He didn’t even take infield practice today so I hope it isn’t anything serious.
5) Zander will calm the waters tomorrow.
6) Ensley just missed a grand slam by a few inches IIRC. He’s been on an absolute tear.
7) Tears is playing incredible defense in RF. His arm is lethal.

We at least have a legit starter. They burned theirs today
Who did they burn? Harris didn’t start until game 4 last weekend and Smith didn’t start at all. Harris has 3 starts all year. FR Nick Reed has 6 starts on the year and went for them in game 3 last weekend. That’s likely who they roll out there.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Who did they burn? Harris didn’t start until game 4 last weekend and Smith didn’t start at all. Harris has 3 starts all year. FR Nick Reed has 6 starts on the year and went for them in game 3 last weekend. That’s likely who they roll out there.
They’ll start Reed, I think. With a 7.4 ERA, I hope we can rack it up early.

We got our ass kicked. They were the better team today. Certainly not what I expected, but it wasn't the first time this has happened this year. Vols haven't made a habit of letting that happen to them two days in a row. I don't expect them to start now. We're in our building. We have better position players and better pitchers. I fully expect that to show up tomorrow. 2022 isn't in these kids minds and it shouldn't be in the fans no matter what reporter wants to bring it up in the press conference.

I'm more irritated by the loss than dejected. I hope them boys feel the same. Silver lining is the celebration tomorrow will feel more rewarding now than if we rolled them like a bunch of 10 year olds.

If we don’t locate tomorrow we are going to get absolutely rocked. Way too many balls up in the zone today

People are going to talk about 2022 until they win tomorrow. It isn’t wrong to do that. Those parallels exist until they don’t. And if they don’t win, they’ll be talking about 2022 and 2024 until they win a title. You can think that’s unfair to Tony, and perhaps it is, but he signed up for that the day we gave him $100 million for stadium renovations and made him a top 3 paid coach in the country.

VN Store

Back