The Official Florida @ Tennessee Weekend Series Thread (Thurs. 4/6 8PM EST) ESPNU (Fri. 4/7 7PM EST) SEC Network (Sat. 4/8 2PM EST) ESPN 2

SEC Baseball:

LSU is 5th in the SEC but 1st in the nation lol
They need to drop out of the top spot. I think they have the most talent but they’ve not proven to be the best team heads and shoulders. I’d have SCar or UF at #1 right now. LSU is extremely vulnerable to anyone in this league on Sunday’s and it’s 50/50 on Saturday’s from what I’ve seen. In their defense tho, them, us, AM and Arkansas to a degree had heavily weighted front loaded schedules on paper. UK has played 3 of the 4 bottom teams in the league and a Bama team that’s maybe 8th on a good day and 11th on a bad day.

Last edited:
They need to drop out of the top spot. I think they have the most talent but they’ve not proven to be the best team heads and shoulders. I’d have SCar or UF at #1 right now. LSU is extremely vulnerable to anyone in this league on Sunday’s and it’s 50/50 on Saturday’s from what I’ve seen. In their defense tho, them, us, AM and Arkansas to a degree had heavily weighted front loaded schedules on paper. UK has played 3 of the 4 bottom teams in the league and Bama team that’s maybe 8th on a good day and 11th on a bad day.
Leave ‘em at #1.

We know they have the best team in the country so I’d rather see them with the bullseye on their shoulders.

The last time the #1 overall seed won it all was 1999.

A solid.....C- coach..........A+ recruiter. I ain't giving an inch........nor is Coach Lemonis....right Coach?

View attachment 545540

I went to the game and from my seats this is what I see:

1. Pitching will keep us in every game, against anybody.
2. CTV needs to figure out who can play and who cannot fast. Let Stark catch till proven otherwise. C. Scott is not a Plus+ at the plate. I'd try someone else now to see if they can handle center field. Booker would get another couple of weeks to prove himself out as far as being a Plus+ at the plate. I am concerned about him.
3. Merritt has not produced for us yet, but his history speaks for itself, and players show up eventually. He looks the part. I run with him as a permanent RF'r.
4. We need Ahuna bad!!! Jaslove, decent glove, big minus at the plate. Has bad at-bats.
5. Put Dickey in LF.
6. Dickey, Burke, Denton, Merritt, Moore, and Ahuna will be your offense. Maybe someone rises up and helps out on top of that.
7. Overall, not happy with the slow start at the plate for the guys, but the talent is there. Pitching is ridiculous. Still got the best recruiter in the dugout who is a C+ coach in-game.

We'll be fine long term. Don't see us winning regular season and tournament SEC this year (as of today). But its a long season. Sure didn't see Ole Miss winning Natty after we dog stomped them at their place last year either !

Just my opinion.....not interested in a debate....

If I remember correctly, you had given Vitello a C+. So you already have given an inch, but the other way 📉

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
What Beam does on day 3 is amazing. I know that also is an argument for moving him up the rotation, but I’d leave him right where he is. His mental toughness to finish off opponents when we are up 2-0 or tied 1-1 is surpassed only by his ability to stop the bleeding when we are down 3-0.

He has proven he fits that role in any circumstance. That is extremely valuable to a coach. (Kinda like having Kirby to use against a lefty.). I would love to know I had that in my corner going into a series, and I wouldn’t touch it.
That was essentially what Chris Burke said on the broadcast today. Tom Hart countered with moving Beam up. Beam was on fire today and the bullpen has been terrific.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Leave ‘em at #1.

We know they have the best team in the country so I’d rather see them with the bullseye on their shoulders.

The last time the #1 overall seed won it all was 1999.
The best team in the country isn’t a grand slam away from 5 league losses in the first 4 series.

Thoughts on the day:

1) Just a tremendous gut check “punch back” win by the BaseVols
2) Beam came up HUGE today when the team had to have a Win. Just an outstanding performance by QB1
3) Merritt showed his experience and grit by putting the team on his shoulders today. Awesome to see him emerge triumphantly from his benching and slump. However he can’t get thrown out at 3rd on the ball that Ensley hit in the hole.
4) Cal Stark showed some fire and competitiveness with a huge HR today.
5) Solid defense overall today (Jaslove can really pick it at SS).
6) Team showed their potential and I think they will have a really strong 2nd half of the season.

VN Store

Back