The Official Tennessee Tech @ Tennessee Game Thread Tuesday April 18, 2023 6:30 PM EST SEC NETWORK +

I promise you a pitcher or two are tipping pitches. I thought it was happening from umpiring but had a former pro hitter watch and could tell 95% of the time the pitches. I have been amazed by the things in pitchers that this guy can see. He could tell me almost to a T when our pitchers were picking also. It is tiny things but it is tips. I have heard Burke and a few others do the same thing when announcing SEC games. It is tiny things but they are dead on. Things that I do not think many college guys will see but some coaches will.

So the pitchers are tipping their pitches and don’t hold runners? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Titan05
I promise you a pitcher or two are tipping pitches. I thought it was happening from umpiring but had a former pro hitter watch and could tell 95% of the time the pitches. I have been amazed by the things in pitchers that this guy can see. He could tell me almost to a T when our pitchers were picking also. It is tiny things but it is tips. I have heard Burke and a few others do the same thing when announcing SEC games. It is tiny things but they are dead on. Things that I do not think many college guys will see but some coaches will.
From umpiring, how does that work?

If this is true and we are tipping pitches and no one can fix it… that’s a problem lol also how did we not tip pitches one bit last year and all of a sudden can’t stop doing it.. if someone can really tell and our coaches don’t know/can’t fix it??!! Pathetic lol

Link Garrett figured it out and is sharing it with everybody.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Link Garrett figured it out and is sharing it with everybody.

I think this is absolutely true. The umps also squeeze our zone more than others.

When we beat GT and were rounding first double birding their CF the NCAA made sure that we were gone by the next weekend. Last year's team ultimately may cost us for a while. When you bring that much attention to yourself you have to go ahead and kick the door down and bring it all home. If not they will make sure nothing like that happens again.

I think this is absolutely true. The umps also squeeze our zone more than others.

When we beat GT and were rounding first double birding their CF the NCAA made sure that we were gone by the next weekend. Last year's team ultimately may cost us for a while. When you bring that much attention to yourself you have to go ahead and kick the door down and bring it all home. If not they will make sure nothing like that happens again.
Welcome to posting…you’ve been lurking awhile! 😉

Johnny Bench couldn’t throw out runners with this philosophy. And it may have a little to do with the issues recruiting a catcher.

I am sure that it has been discussed here before but the lack of a solid catcher since Pav. is concerning. This pitching staff has brought every mlb scout to the stadium and gets a lot of attention. Any catcher interested in playing pro baseball should be banging down the door to catch at UT. I understand some pitchers have struggles to keep people close but geez scouts can see that and still get accurate pop times.
Way harder to get scouts attention at South West Mayonnaise State that rarely host pro scouts.

I am not bashing Russel, Dickey, Stark or Taylor. A.J. did a heck of a job last year and progressed at receiving the ball. I was hoping he was just filling in for a temporary situation. A more traditional catcher would help the pitchers, a guy that is smooth receiving the ball, blocks the plate well and has an arm to keep runners honest. I think it would be worth a little sacrifice at the plate for a solid, consistent catcher.

Reactions: Tnphil
We had 2 others catchers recruited. Kid from Austin Peay went in draft and other kid couldn't handle conditioning (was rumor) and left. So you can only recruit so many for one position. No team can bring in more than 4 catchers.

Reactions: greasemachine
I am sure that it has been discussed here before but the lack of a solid catcher since Pav. is concerning. This pitching staff has brought every mlb scout to the stadium and gets a lot of attention. Any catcher interested in playing pro baseball should be banging down the door to catch at UT. I understand some pitchers have struggles to keep people close but geez scouts can see that and still get accurate pop times.
Way harder to get scouts attention at South West Mayonnaise State that rarely host pro scouts.

I am not bashing Russel, Dickey, Stark or Taylor. A.J. did a heck of a job last year and progressed at receiving the ball. I was hoping he was just filling in for a temporary situation. A more traditional catcher would help the pitchers, a guy that is smooth receiving the ball, blocks the plate well and has an arm to keep runners honest. I think it would be worth a little sacrifice at the plate for a solid, consistent catcher.

Pudge Rodriguez couldn’t keep base runners honest with the way the UT pitching staff holds runners.

Reactions: wmcovol and Titan05

VN Store

Back