The Official Tennessee Tech @ Tennessee Game Thread Tuesday April 18, 2023 6:30 PM EST SEC NETWORK +

Our starting pitching has been the biggest disappointment, simply because of expectations and the guys struggling were so good last year. We’ve seen what Dollander and Burns are capable of and we know they’re great players. It’s crazy.
Odd and frustrating. At first, I wondered if we are predictable with calling the pitch. Kind of like an offensive coordinator developing "trends" or "habits". Now I think it's just that the strike zone being smaller with all the tech watching umpires. The other thing is the pitch clock. It might be impacting our pitchers performances. There's no way Anderson is calling for a ball right down the pipe with an 0-2, 1-2 count, but we seem to do that regularly. Combine all that with the lack of confidence these guys have to be feeling in the defense behind them plus the absolutely punitive schedule we were given, and I think it's a perfect storm.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Since the beginning of the season I've tried to remain optimistic, but now it's just frustrating. Baseball team seems confused, indifferent & team cohesiveness is lacking. Is it lack of leadership, jealousy, etc.? Still going to Hoover, though. :cool:
This is starting to feel like a Todd Raleigh type year if I'm being honest.

Reactions: feathersax
Odd and frustrating. At first, I wondered if we are predictable with calling the pitch. Kind of like an offensive coordinator developing "trends" or "habits". Now I think it's just that the strike zone being smaller with all the tech watching umpires. The other thing is the pitch clock. It might be impacting our pitchers performances. There's no way Anderson is calling for a ball right down the pipe with an 0-2, 1-2 count, but we seem to do that regularly. Combine all that with the lack of confidence these guys have to be feeling in the defense behind them plus the absolutely punitive schedule we were given, and I think it's a perfect storm.
The SEC has had a pitch clock for a decade. It's not that.

Reactions: feathersax
Some of that is because they are known commodities now. Last year Dollander, Burns, and Beam were all new to the SEC. Teams now have a year of film to study on them.
Also, as a pitcher when you know your defense sucks behind you or isn’t going to help you out you start trying to be too fine and do it yourself and as a result you start playing worse and it just snowballs from there.

Dude, quit with the "true fan" nonsense.

Not everyone can spend their evenings with a 100+ posts on VN.

That's just absurd.
It's almost like it's a "true fan lodge" with members sometimes. Do they pass out badges and decoder rings, too?

One of the worst coaching jobs I've seen on The Hill. IDC if we had lost 15 players... this team is WOEFULLY undercoached and their "give a ****" is alarming. To get your ass kicked by TN Tech is an embarrassment on all levels. Any "good will" TV built up from the last couple of years will be evaporated by May. I had much higher hopes for him, but it looks to have been fools gold. Typical UT.

One of the worst coaching jobs I've seen on The Hill. IDC if we had lost 15 players... this team is WOEFULLY undercoached and their "give a ****" is alarming. To get your ass kicked by TN Tech is an embarrassment on all levels. Any "good will" TV built up from the last couple of years will be evaporated by May. I had much higher hopes for him, but it looks to have been fools gold. Typical UT.
Be gone. You haven't been in here all season.

You one of those high dollar Tennessee Tech baseball boosters?

Also, as a pitcher when you know your defense sucks behind you or isn’t going to help you out you start trying to be too fine and do it yourself and as a result you start playing worse and it just snowballs from there.

Yes, there is some of that going on. Our staff feels the need to have 27 strikeouts. If I recall correctly, we only made nine putouts last night. If that number is correct, then we struck out 18 batters.

Reactions: Jdw2920
Winning is usually equated with great chemistry. Losing, and losing so unexpectedly, usually equates to tons of issues, real and/or perceived. No one is happy when they lose. Winning cures a lot, but in this day and age, it doesn’t cure everything.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Since the beginning of the season I've tried to remain optimistic, but now it's just frustrating. Baseball team seems confused, indifferent & team cohesiveness is lacking. Is it lack of leadership, jealousy, etc.? Still going to Hoover, though. :cool:

Of course you are, that’s you, the day you come on here and say, “No Hoover this year.” Is the day I come find you, drag you there…to the VIP section. You’ve earned it.

It's almost like it's a "true fan lodge" with members sometimes. Do they pass out badges and decoder rings, too?

I preface: I have not been reading the whole thing because of the negative stuff that happens in game threads. To me if you just are venting"We are having a tough year." that is okay. But when you begin to trash players or the team or the coaches that is where you get called out. I think you can even say what you think should happen in a certain situation without trashing the player like "I would pull him now." Rather than "__________ is a horrible pitcher and never needs to see the field again." That adds no value. I may not agree with everyone and I do not agree with every call the coaches make but that is just ball. But I also do gain any value by coming on here and trashing the coaches decisions or calling for their firing. I'm sure they are more frustrated than anyone today.
Again, I have not read so I am not singling out you in any means and you means anyone who is doing such stuff not you, Cavput. I don't think it has to be all rainbows and unicorns but it should not be a trash dump. I suggest adding value rather than tearing down. Maybe someone on here sees something or a trend that may help the team. I do think some pitchers are pressing and some are tipping pitches. And some are doing great. Have a great day.

...... do think some pitchers are pressing and some are tipping pitches. And some are doing great. Have a great day.
Interesting. I have wondered about this, but honestly, I can't tell anything from watching on TV. with technology being what it is nowadays, I have wondered if tech has helped teams ID tipped pitches, (of course, then I wonder why it doesn't seem to help us, but that is another topic).

Are you speculating here, or have you seen things at the games that lead you to this conclusion? Have you seen pitches tipped, or are you seeing something in the other teams' response to our pitchers that make you think this? It would seem to explain some of our regression on the mound from last year, especially, it would seem, when we have 2 strikes on a hitter.

I preface: I have not been reading the whole thing because of the negative stuff that happens in game threads. To me if you just are venting"We are having a tough year." that is okay. But when you begin to trash players or the team or the coaches that is where you get called out. I think you can even say what you think should happen in a certain situation without trashing the player like "I would pull him now." Rather than "__________ is a horrible pitcher and never needs to see the field again." That adds no value. I may not agree with everyone and I do not agree with every call the coaches make but that is just ball. But I also do gain any value by coming on here and trashing the coaches decisions or calling for their firing. I'm sure they are more frustrated than anyone today.
Again, I have not read so I am not singling out you in any means and you means anyone who is doing such stuff not you, Cavput. I don't think it has to be all rainbows and unicorns but it should not be a trash dump. I suggest adding value rather than tearing down. Maybe someone on here sees something or a trend that may help the team. I do think some pitchers are pressing and some are tipping pitches. And some are doing great. Have a great day.
Understood. Still my post that was quoted was referencing this distinction between "regular/long time" posters vs "drive by trolls". Granted that those who are grouped in the latter are usually the most negative. And with that in mind, I agree with your comments since my son played D1 football and I understand your perspective. Fans sometimes fail to recognize that there are people behind those numbers with family and friends. No one hurts like they do when things aren't going well especially those who are going through the demands of athletics on top of the academic requirements. Still, I'd likely be in the latter category even though I go back to the days of Rod. My main point is that post counts, likes and join dates or the lack thereof don't make someone a better or worse fan than anyone else.

Reactions: vol66
Interesting. I have wondered about this, but honestly, I can't tell anything from watching on TV. with technology being what it is nowadays, I have wondered if tech has helped teams ID tipped pitches, (of course, then I wonder why it doesn't seem to help us, but that is another topic).

Are you speculating here, or have you seen things at the games that lead you to this conclusion? Have you seen pitches tipped, or are you seeing something in the other teams' response to our pitchers that make you think this? It would seem to explain some of our regression on the mound from last year, especially, it would seem, when we have 2 strikes on a hitter.
We could greatly cut down on the threat of tipping pitches if we could keep guys off second everytime someone gets a base hit. We're better at holding than last year.... because we're actually trying, but man, we need a difference making catcher. Keep thinking about the impact the kid from LSU had on us when we were on base. Kid had a bazooka!

.... Maybe someone on here sees something or a trend that may help the team. I do think some pitchers are pressing and some are tipping pitches. And some are doing great. Have a great day.

Yea, let's talk about that. Have teams figured Frank Anderson out? Are we tipping pitches? These kids still have terrific stuff. It's not just one of them that's getting hit hard. It's almost all of them.

Yea, let's talk about that. Have teams figured Frank Anderson out? Are we tipping pitches? These kids still have terrific stuff. It's not just one of them that's getting hit hard. It's almost all of them.
location is a problem I have seen if you got 1-2 don't throw a fastball middle inn or out over plate but I pitched some and I know it's easier said than done.

The season trend is concerning, sure, but just a reminder that, on its own, last night doesn't mean anything.

"Midweek college baseball games in and of themselves aren’t something that should get anyone twisted. Top-ranked LSU lost to Louisiana on Tuesday, and fourth-ranked Vandy lost to Indiana State. More than a handful of ranked teams lost midweek games this week, and that happens almost every week. Unless you lose a significant number of midweek games … meh, you’re fine." -- Rucker

Understood. Still my post that was quoted was referencing this distinction between "regular/long time" posters vs "drive by trolls". Granted that those who are grouped in the latter are usually the most negative. And with that in mind, I agree with your comments since my son played D1 football and I understand your perspective. Fans sometimes fail to recognize that there are people behind those numbers with family and friends. No one hurts like they do when things aren't going well especially those who are going through the demands of athletics on top of the academic requirements. Still, I'd likely be in the latter category even though I go back to the days of Rod. My main point is that post counts, likes and join dates or the lack thereof don't make someone a better or worse fan than anyone else.
Fair criticism. There is most definitely a "good ol boys club" here. It's similar to a group of people that had season tickets together in left field for decades of bad baseball but showed up to every game with hope. People that show up now that we are relevant and don't know shiz about college baseball annoy them.

VN Store

Back