The Official UNC @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 2 Thread (Sun. June 16) (7PM EST) (ESPN2)

This^^^^^ times 1000!

If Beam had gotten the same strike zone last night there is a 0% chance he goes 5 innings! When your most perfectly located pitches are called balls, like Friday night, it's nearly impossible to be very successful.

It was called much more accurately last night IMO.
The first ump MAINLY called consistently, THEN would lapse and give them calls when the ball started in the box and finished in the river never approaching the black. Go look at the Curly strikeout immediately after the Tears bomb. Struck him out on about 6 balls. Then back on task.

LATER EDITED TO ADD

Go check out the 1-2 call on Beam’s last batter. Big #14 jumped back from a breaker that crossed he plate easily below the numbers and turned that free pass into the ball that rocketed off Amick. Created one of their biggest shots during the game. Kirby had to save the day.

Last edited:
Omaha has been a blast. The Vols dominated last night thanks to a tremendous performance by Beam and outstanding relief by Kirby and Snead. Tears was tremendous at the plate and the defense was stellar. I’m pulling for a rematch vs NC as the offensive power of FSU is something I don’t want to face again. GBO.
I’m hoping for FSU, unless for some reason we have that ump from Friday. I think he effectively upped FSU’s chances of winning by making their offense even better. I like our pitching matchup better against them.

On this date 73 years ago.

June 17, 1951

Omaha’s Morning World-Herald headline read “6,290 See Oklahoma Clip Vols for College Baseball Title, 3-2.”

In its first program trip to Omaha, Tennessee finished second in the nation to the College World Series champion Sooners, letting a 2-0 lead slip away in a finals loss. Holding the lead until the fifth inning, the Vols watched their national title hopes slide as Sooners rounded the bases for single runs in the sixth, seventh, and eight innings.

“The Cinderella team almost made it,” reporter Robert Phipps wrote in his recap. “That would have been a great news story. But Tennessee, which seemed to lead a charmed life in the College World Series, finally ran out of luck Sunday night at Muny Stadium.”

UT outfielder Bill Asbury tallied two of three hits in the match-up. Asbury, who was born in Powell, Tennessee, and later resided in Alcoa, served as a colonel in the Tennessee Air National Guard at McGhee Tyson airbase for 30 years following his time in Knoxville. The 1951 College World Series Most Outstanding Player, Sid Hatfield, pitched eight innings of relief in the loss.

View attachment 649896
had heard about his baseball days but and had forgotten he coached basketball at Rule while I was at West. Other Rule folks associated with UT athletics include Jerry Helton ( Todd's father), Mike Cofer and Gus Manning

The first ump MAINLY called consistently, THEN would lapse and give them calls when the ball started in the box and finished in the river never approaching the black. Go look at the Curly strikeout immediately after the Tears bomb. Struck him out on about 6 balls. Then back on task.

LATER EDITED TO ADD

Go check out the 1-2 call on Beam’s last batter. Big #14 jumped back from a breaker that crossed he plate easily below the numbers and turned that free pass into the ball that rocketed off Amick. Created one of their biggest shots during the game. Kirby had to save the day.
Honeycutt should have struck out before that homerun hit. Watched the 3rd or 4th pitch go straight down broadway and called it a ball.

I believe we are up to 177 HRs. Only 11 back from LSU’s record of 188. It’s starting to become a real possibility…

View attachment 649918
The dream:

4 HRs in a win on Wednesday to advance to the finals.
4 HRs in a Game 1 Finals win.
4HRs in a Game 2 Finals win.

Tennessee is National Champion and breaks the record with 189 HRs.

And Burke hits one of those HRs to give us 5 guys with 20 HRs.

The dream:

4 HRs in a win on Wednesday to advance to the finals.
4 HRs in a Game 1 Finals win.
4HRs in a Game 2 Finals win.

Tennessee is National Champion and breaks the record with 189 HRs.

And Burke hits one of those HRs to give us 5 guys with 20 HRs.

I’ll see your 4 HRs per game and raise you to 7 HRs per game

Still doesn’t change the fact that their offense is 2nd best in CWS. Would definitely prefer to face NC vs FL St.
Florida St definitely has the best offense of the 2, but I think North Carolina has a decent bit more pitching and the better defense. I think we are in a really good spot either way, but yeah I think I’d rather face Carolina as well.

Reactions: taylorvol
We lost a game to Kentucky and Florida. We beat A&M, UNC, and FSU. Prefer we play UNC and Texas A&M so pulling for them in other brackets and games. FSU is a good offense and defense combo like we are. Then there is their MCWS “close but no cigar“ streak.

Being born outside Charlotte, lived in Raleigh and having my dad and aunts/uncles go to both UNC and NC State.....I love everything about this.

State fans are much cooler and it is more like an SEC school in mentality (and academics).

Reactions: Pappy
Man that weather forecast just isn’t looking good. Hasn’t changed much today. Hope it clears up enough to get the game in. IMG_2786.png

What’s the plan if we have weather delay as in how long can they push back our start since there is a 7 est game
Not sure the later game plays a role. They’ll just broadcast one or the other on a different channel. Not a whole lot of pressure on Wednesday night.

VN Store

Back