The Official UNC @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 2 Thread (Sun. June 16) (7PM EST) (ESPN2)

They could have walked both of them.
That what I just said…but if you load the bases, a walk, a HBP, a passed ball comes into play and can lose the game for you…would have been a ballsy move to do that and possibly the right move…would have liked to see it though!

Reactions: WillisWG
Why was pulling our starter after one out genius? He could have got out of the inning--and we needed innings from him. We have a thin staff. I thought it was a very questionable, panicky move. He played the first inning as if it were the 7th or 8th. In the end our hitting overcame, as it has all year--and when you win everything seems "genius."
I wasn’t crazy about it but Causey has been so good down the stretch. Just didn’t have his best last night. The good thing is Stamos is 100% going to have the opportunity to come back and pitch again. Same with Causey.

That what I just said…but if you load the bases, a walk, a HBP, a passed ball comes into play and can lose the game for you…would have been a ballsy move to do that and possibly the right move…would have liked to see it though!
Ha, maybe I should read to the bottom next time!

Right. I get that. But if one team pitches Arnold against Tennessee and the other pitches Sprague against Tennessee, the overall ERA doesn't really matter to Tennessee. What matters is who we face in the particular games against Tennessee. North Carolina will not be throwing pitchers at Tennessee who are as good as the pitchers FSU threw against Tennessee, in all likelihood. They used their best starter and best bullpen arm (threw 3.1 innings) yesterday.
I think we see Pence at some point tomorrow. He pitched against LSU twice in the regional and accumulated 6.1 innings between those games.

All the hate on X from everyone stuck on the check swing... So many other fanbases just tweeting "F Tennessee, I hate Tennessee, etc" Hey guys, you let 3 big leads slip away and we fought back and won. There were several BS calls that went against us and for them last night... they don't realize how stupid they sound hanging on one call at the end... they shouldn't have even let it get to that point, but they did and we capitalized...

Many TN fans too pointing out how many times we've gotten royally screwed in sports during pivotal moments time and time again... we deserve and earned this win so everyone else can F off...

I feel like we are actually gonna win this whole damn thing.

They didn’t walk him because the better hitter was due up next…lol…way less strikeouts and almost guaranteed to put the ball in play…tough calls when you have good players…walk CMO and see what happens with Blake..on and on down our lineup…Honeycutt got the job done but went 1 for 5…next guy had already went 3 for 4…the ballsy play would have been to walk both and load the bases…of course a walk, passed ball etc could then lose the game…UVA was losing regardless…lol
Honeycutt has already proven you don’t pitch to him in those situations. I’ll live with losing to their next best hitter but I’ll be damned if I lose a game because I refuse to intentionally walk one of the best players in the country. Must be a Virginia thing. West Virginia coach probably called up Virginia and said yeah I would definitely pitch to that kid with a base open and the game on the line. He didn’t do anything against us in that situation 😂

All the hate on X from everyone stuck on the check swing... So many other fanbases just tweeting "F Tennessee, I hate Tennessee, etc" Hey guys, you let 3 big leads slip away and we fought back and won. There were several BS calls that went against us and for them last night... they don't realize how stupid they sound hanging on one call at the end... they shouldn't have even let it get to that point, but they did and we capitalized...

Many TN fans too pointing out how many times we've gotten royally screwed in sports during pivotal moments time and time again... we deserve and earned this win so everyone else can F off...

Unfortunately a lot of humans aren’t smart, can’t think for themselves and/or can’t have an open mind.

They hate us because they ain't us

Damn…I thought if teams had played same amount of games as home/away team then the highest seeded team automatically got to be the home team with no coin flip. These idiots really need to change the rules on that crap. You can’t be the highest seeded team, stay in winners bracket and not be the home team. Stupid!
I occasionally wonder at the mental stress created by well established protocol used to establish the home team.

giphy.gif

Wrist didn't break, or "roll over". It was a good call. Defining a Check-Swing | 07/19/2021

Beam has been fantastic the first time through the order his last few starts, then the wheels fall off around the third or fourth inning.

Don't know about y'all, but I gotta give some love to the Heels as they beat Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Louisville, Georgia Tech and LSU THREE times each this year, along w wins vs Virginia, NC State. ECU and a few other semi decent teams.

Still think we gonna whoop thar arses but, reckon it may not be as easy as I thought it was a gonna be. Go Vols!

1718466605864.png

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I wasn’t crazy about it but Causey has been so good down the stretch. Just didn’t have his best last night. The good thing is Stamos is 100% going to have the opportunity to come back and pitch again. Same with Causey.
I thought Stamos got shafted and that he should have been given the chance to work through it. He got a weak ground ball that should've been an out, got squeezed on the strike zone for a walk, and then got another weak ground ball. I hope Stamos gets a chance to pitch again. He is the epitome of a team player. After he was pulled, he didn't go in the dugout and sulk or throw a tantrum, he was hanging out of the dugout cheering on Causey and the rest of the team.

Causey and Combs were good too, but they also got squeezed on the strike zone. If a pitcher isn't getting the corners, he's going to get rocked at some point.

Was last night the Basevols version of...Vols football vs Arkansas 98'?
there was also a punt mishap by Arkansas that was totally and admitted to by the officials afterward. They accessed the wrong penalty, Should have given Tennessee a first down at the 2 yard line vs a safety.

I’m relishing being the Mighty Villains. The team to beat. The “bad guys”. We’ve earned some happiness and some breaks, and this team has earned even more.

All those other fan bases can, well, they can do some things. They forget so fast about all the other plays, bad decisions and situations that got them to that point - before and after the play in question. That was a pure baseball call and the ump was right not to decide a game on a clear 50:50 call.

We would all agree that there were many coaching blunders along with team playing tight, making odd errors, etc. I'll move on but would love to see us not put ourselves behind the 8 ball for once and play sound Sunday.

Pitching wise, all of our pitchers should be able to throw at least an inning. These guys grew up playing travel ball and it is nothing to throw 40-60 pitches and come back on a days rest to throw another 30. Wouldnt do it in the season, but now that you are at this point everyone is an option.

Beam will need to keep the ball down and reduce the speed of his curve. At times he throws it too hard and it has no touch. He's due...I would have a short leash and be ready to pitch Zander. Then use Beam and Causey on Wednesday. It should be all in to win with the winner not playing again until Wednesday.

I love the never quit of this team. I hope we can mix that with sound decisions and good play. We win Sunday and we likely make the finals. Would be hard to beat us twice
C- coaching. Please forward your resume and agent contact information.

VN Store

Back