The Official Zone Severe Weather Thread

The governor has gotten Major Disaster Area designation for NC. Surely the Tennessee governor will do the same.

Stop politicizing a natural disaster. You’re an idiot.

First, glad you are safe. The TN governor has asked for multiple days through multiple avenues without a response (yet). Personal issue for me as I got screwed out last year and @hmanvolfan's sister really got screwed because of political posturing by Gov. Lee towards a Democratic county.

Neither party has the high ground here. I just want critical help to get to those on both side of the mountain without worrying about budgets...

Didn't something similar happen at a candle factory in KY only a few years ago? Except it got hit directly by the tornado

edit: Yup, I remember it from when I was stationed at Campbell

Oh dang, I remember that now

First, glad you are safe. The TN governor has asked for multiple days through multiple avenues without a response (yet). Personal issue for me as I got screwed out last year and @hmanvolfan's sister really got screwed because of political posturing by Gov. Lee towards a Democratic county.

Neither party has the high ground here. I just want critical help to get to those on both side of the mountain without worrying about budgets...
People literally get stupid over politics during this stuff. I just read arguments between people, some who legit believe, the chemical plant on fire here was placed in it's location by Republicans to kill black people 🤣. I know that's just people on Facebook, problem is I've seen politicians (both sides) say just as stupid stuff

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Thankfully, we're doing okay. The benefit of living on a mountain side. The areas nearest to the Pigeon River weren't so lucky. I rode through Canton and Clyde yesterday. The little town of Clyde is more or less no more where it sits on the river. People going through mud picking up belongings, throwing away belongings that can no longer be used due to the River going into their homes. Canton was blocked off due to the damage. The Pisgah high school football field was ruined from what I saw online as was the softball and likely baseball field. Most of the old paper plant was covered in debris and belongings.

You could really see the damage 💔 😢 after the River receded. Heartbreaking stuff. Peoples homes condemned due to the damage...
Clyde was where we were supposed to be staying tonight and tomorrow night. The owner of the property called on Saturday stating they couldn't host us, which was expected, but he said they were only without power, asking if we wanted to rebook. I definitely will once we know we can get there. The stress in his voice just made me want to support so badly.

People literally get stupid over politics during this stuff. I just read arguments between people, some who legit believe, the chemical plant on fire here was placed in it's location by Republicans to kill black people 🤣. I know that's just people on Facebook, problem is I've seen politicians (both sides) say just as stupid stuff

There are 5 states with over a billion dollars of damage from Helene and this will end up a Top 10 disaster in terms of cost all time. This isnt hard and isnt political. Designate those 5 states ASAP. Doesnt matter if they are red, blue, or purple. The last thing locals need to worry about right now are the budgetary constraints of search/rescue, etc and if/when they will be reimbursed....

There are 5 states with over a billion dollars of damage from Helene and this will end up a Top 10 disaster in terms of cost all time. This isnt hard and isnt political. Designate those 5 states ASAP. Doesnt matter if they are red, blue, or purple. The last thing locals need to worry about right now are the budgetary constraints of search/rescue, etc and if/when they will be reimbursed....
I agee 100%...

Well considering your penchet for wanting to silence people I guess that tells me all I need to know. But honestly I'm tired of feuding with you, I didn't start it, but you won't ever let it go. For someone who talks about being older, you're acting like petulant butt hurt teen. Get over yourself. I posted news on the Flood as it was happening, and because I felt much of the info was pertenant, and many did want to see, and hear about it. Others did the same. If you don't wish to see it scroll on. You're just pissed I didn't roll over and because I called you an expat. Or maybe because you know on a lot of previous topics I was right.... Eitherway, your the one who keeps trying to start stuff with me in every thread. It's getting way too cereal for me and the zone. If you want you can argue with me in PF, though at this point I doubt I'd respond. Otherwise just how about calming down....
Tl;dr....again

Just rode up in the elevator with a utility crew from Noo Yawk here to restore power in the Greenville area. I can’t get my mind around the total area affected by this.
We we drove from Asheville to Greenville on Saturday, we did not get reception until almost Greenville. Just crazy how bad service was hit.

We we drove from Asheville to Greenville on Saturday, we did not get reception until almost Greenville. Just crazy how bad service was hit.
I had never seen SOS in the top right corner of my phone, where the signal strength bars and LTE or 5G usually display.

Meaning that there is 0 cellular service (and obviously no WiFi), and the only service available is to text for emergency services. That was pretty sobering.

That displayed for hours on end.

I had never seen SOS in the top right corner of my phone, where the signal strength bars and LTE or 5G usually display.

Meaning that there is 0 cellular service (and obviously no WiFi), and the only service available is to text for emergency services. That was pretty sobering.

That displayed for hours on end.
I feel like I read somewhere that an emergency connection something was going to be turned on. They had to decide to do that? WTH??

Here, where power, communications, and water/sewer are restored, boil water advisories are in effect. Imagine those areas where they’re not. Potable water, ready to eat food, and temporary sanitation becomes tantamount for those unable to move temporarily to safer locations. It’s heart rending. Here, they’re organizing drives for supplies to areas hardest hit. Trucks can only go so far. Some areas are still accessible only by helicopter. Pray that weather allows for delivery. 🙏🏽

Yeah, it's humbling to me.

I can't help but see everything I'm seeing and read Tin's post and think about how the rest of the world goes on about it's business. Monday night football went on. People went to bars and ordered pitchers of beer and chicken wings. Restaurants threw out good leftover food. The list goes on.

It's a good time for me to self evaluate.

I feel like I read somewhere that an emergency connection something was going to be turned on. They had to decide to do that? WTH??
I think that maybe what you read is that the various cell providers agreed to let cell subscribers from competitors use their towers. So if you’re Verizon, and your phone pinged on an AT&T tower, they’d let you in.

Maybe it was a City of Asheville thing? It was something announced on an early update on 107.9, Blue Ridge Public Radio, that has the only consistent info I’ve found.

I know that my phone always has it, because when I try to turn it off, it also brings up the SOS option. Perhaps the agreement is to accept all SOS texts and calls, as opposed to calling your family to let them know you’re alive. 🙄

I have a LOT to learn about emergency situations in this day and age. It’s a lot more than boiling water, that’s for sure.

Edit to add: I posted before seeing Tin’s post. The comment about boiling water wasn’t a jibe at his excellent post. It was just an example of how I used to think - test flashlights, find candles and matches, boil water.

Last edited:

I can't help but see everything I'm seeing and read Tin's post and think about how the rest of the world goes on about it's business. Monday night football went on. People went to bars and ordered pitchers of beer and chicken wings. Restaurants threw out good leftover food. The list goes on.

I keep thinking I’m ok. Then I went down to the lobby for coffee (no breakfast available at hotel which just reopened yesterday), and saw the morning news - a drone video of the River Arts District and Biltmore Village; gone. Where friends go to church at All Souls Cathedral, where another friend had an art studio, Guitar Bar where Hubs hangs (hung) out once a month, my daughter’s medical clinic where they treat patients without insurance.

^^ She’s driven to Indiana with the kids to stay with her in-laws, doing 24-hour telemedicine and triage for those patients who can access text or calls. My son-in-law stayed in AVL to do volunteer work.

I keep thinking I’m ok. Then I went down to the lobby for coffee (no breakfast available at hotel which just reopened yesterday), and saw the morning news - a drone video of the River Arts District and Biltmore Village; gone. Where friends go to church at All Souls Cathedral, where another friend had an art studio, Guitar Bar where Hubs hangs (hung) out once a month, my daughter’s medical clinic where they treat patients without insurance.

^^ She’s driven to Indiana with the kids to stay with her in-laws, doing 24-hour telemedicine and triage for those patients who can access text or calls. My son-in-law stayed in AVL to do volunteer work.
Sigh.

I told my hubby that exact thing Saturday afternoon. That sitting in my home, that I love so much and feel so safe in, felt so wrong knowing people were dead and dying just a few hundred miles from me. It feels like survival guilt.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back