The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

We need the college basketball version of ProStars.

MV5BOWVkNjMyMTQtM2I0My00ZTI5LWFiMGItZTNhNWE0NDU5ZmQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgzMTg5Ng@@._V1_.jpg

I guess Stankey is getting worried this might level the playing field in football and hurt his golden boy Nick from hoarding all the talent.

What could possibly go wrong? Side note, trip includes a meeting with two senators, one of whom is Marsha Blackburn. We'll see if her message is: leave Nico alone.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I guess Stankey is getting worried this might level the playing field in football and hurt his golden boy Nick from hoarding all the talent.

My biggest gripe with college athletics was always that the federal government was just not involved enough. Thank goodness we’re finally getting on that 😒

I hope they are informed that they will be required to split the 3 billion dollar tv contract, an the revenue from ticket sales, and jerseys if they want to try and deny people the ability to make money off their own NIL.

I’ve not found the Basilio show worth listening to for some time now. But for more than an hour today it was very interesting. Best broadcast I’ve heard for a long time. TB and Doc Sinclair talked about Spyre, other collectives, boosters, budgets, athletic departments, the NCAA, and other stuff related to NIL. It’s hilarious that the greedy NCAA, conferences, coaches, and administrators are losing control and the boosters are gathering more influence. Lots of great points about how wasteful the broken system has been and how the boosters are getting more involved.

The 5/4/2022 program. The first hour is really good. Gets boring for the first half of the tennis coach interview, but the 2nd half redirects back to NIL. Interesting that tennis has 4.5 scholarships for about 11 players and also the roster for the tennis team is global (and international players can not participate in NIL - except if it is within their own country (a loophole for Vescovi, Uros, ORN, etc ?). Also the ON3 writer has a segment.

The Tony Basilio Show

If I thought the NCAA was pushing for regulations on NIL to protect the player, (such as having written, legal offers; solid financial advising in place, making sure kids understand what they're agreeing to) and not just limit their options then I would have no problem with regulations. However, I just don't see that being the case.

Reactions: Volprofch05
If I thought the NCAA was pushing for regulations on NIL to protect the player, (such as having written, legal offers; solid financial advising in place, making sure kids understand what they're agreeing to) and not just limit their options then I would have no problem with regulations. However, I just don't see that being the case.

Agreed. This is almost certainly to protect the NCAA and it's member institutions and not the athlete. I suspect they will be asking for caps on pay, narrow the scope, and perhaps even the abolishment of collectives to prevent these pay for play scenarios. Somehow, the NCAA is going to mess this up even more than it already is.

Agreed. This is almost certainly to protect the NCAA and it's member institutions and not the athlete. I suspect they will be asking for caps on pay, narrow the scope, and perhaps even the abolishment of collectives to prevent these pay for play scenarios. Somehow, the NCAA is going to mess this up even more than it already is.
The problem is the NCAA doesn’t have the legal authority to trump federal law so capping somebody’s income is not possible

Like a desperate swimmer being pulled out to sea in a riptide, opening a vein to summon some hopefully helpful large fish to pull him back to shore... Kliavkoff and Sankey will appear before congress wielding the words "there's too much unregulated money coming in."

VN Store

Back