The Paris Agreement

That's some top notch fear mongering. Goebbels would be proud.
C’mon McDad, you know there’s people on this board creaming their pants looking at that picture.
BEIJING-superJumbo-v3.jpg
I mean, just look at all that economic growth! Imagine how cheap their electricity bills must be! Think of the jobs!! If only we stopped giving a **** about pollution we could be just like that. Sustainability be damned, we need double digit growth rates NOW!!

:p

Reactions: 1 person
Oh, the climate change doomsdayers are precious. According to them the world should have ended twenty times over already.

I even will acknowledge that it is occurring. I'm nowhere near convinced that it's anywhere close to as catastrophic as the Chicken Littles are predicting, and am very wary of "solutions" that give the government even greater control over the economy.
Welp, maybe we should have thought of that before we axed the bipartisan cap-and-trade bill (again, a policy invented by the Reagan administration) in 2009 or other more palatable solutions over the years. There are ways to nudge the economy in the right direction without leaving it up to Obama, the EPA, activist judges, etc. But by going into full-on denial mode our republican lawmakers effectively removed themselves from the discussion.

Since I don’t recognize some of you from the other threads, let me clarify my position. I consider myself libertarian and will probably be voting 3rd party again. I am pro-nuclear, pro-hydro, and pro-gas. I’m also a geoscientist (private sector) so I have a little more expertise on the topic than your average Joe. And as a native of the Netherlands (dual citizen), a low-lying country especially vulnerable to sea level rise, I care a bit more than the average Joe too.

I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of earth scientists do believe climate change is a serious problem. We don’t need to overreact, but we do need to react. This agreement has been a long time coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Welp, maybe we should have thought of that before we axed the bipartisan cap-and-trade bill (again, a policy invented by the Reagan administration) in 2009 or other more palatable solutions over the years. There are ways to nudge the economy in the right direction without leaving it up to Obama, the EPA, activist judges, etc. But by going into full-on denial mode our republican lawmakers effectively removed themselves from the discussion.

Since I don’t recognize some of you from the other threads, let me clarify my position. I consider myself libertarian and will probably be voting 3rd party again. I am pro-nuclear, pro-hydro, and pro-gas. I’m also a geoscientist (private sector) so I have a little more expertise on the topic than your average Joe. And as a native of the Netherlands (dual citizen), a low-lying country especially vulnerable to sea level rise, I care a bit more than the average Joe too.

I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of earth scientists do believe climate change is a serious problem. We don’t need to overreact, but we do need to react. This agreement has been a long time coming.

You're a government stooge. And it shows in your posts. You buy the kool aid that climate change is the biggest threat to our nations security because Obama says so. You actually think we human beings are the root cause of all this wacky climate. You, Obama and Gore are just sad misinformed individuals who want to spread fear to gain momentum for a profitable agenda.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
...and that's the reason they finally decided to partake in the Paris Agreement and clean up their economy. The Chinese people are fed up with the pollution. It's unsustainable.

Back here in the U.S., though, people want to eliminate environmental protection until our cities look just like that. And while China adopts a market-based scheme to reduce their pollution (invented in the U.S. under Ronald Reagan), America uses the kind of command-and-control regulation that one would expect out of communist China.

irony-everywhere.jpg

Lol. This is a whole bunch of dumb. So China needed everyone to get together to fix an issue they are supposedly "tired" of?

Along with this, the chinese govt has such a great history of taking care of what the people are tired of? Man this is just stupid.

Reactions: 2 people
It's funny how all these "world leaders" fly on their big jumbo planes to a far away country adding to the problems of climate change or global warming or whatever it's going to be called tomorrow. Bunch of hypocrites living the big life.

Not quite. Some aspects of the agreement are legally binding and some are not. Countries are required to have a target, they’re required to be transparent about their emissions and their progress toward said target, and they’re required to meet in regular intervals to assess global progress and adjust targets as needed.

True, it doesn’t have all the teeth of a proper treaty, but that’s a big reason this agreement has been more successful. It relies on peer pressure more so than legal enforcement. It’s better to use the carrot than the stick, as some of you have pointed out in the global warming thread.

Many countries wanted the entire deal to be legally binding, but everyone knows such a treaty would never make it through the only legislature in the world that continues to deny the problem even exists.
Really, "legally binding"? What parts would that be?

What happens "legally" if a country doesn't do what it agreed to do under this agreement?

Do the other countries call them names? Do they not let them play in their reindeer games?

Really, "legally binding"? What parts would that be?

What happens "legally" if a country doesn't do what it agreed to do under this agreement?

Do the other countries call them names? Do they not let them play in their reindeer games?

The last part can't happen. I heard there was a safe space clause.

The best part of this deal is not the limitations or terms; it's the over 100 countries that have collectively, for the first time in written form, acknowledged the dangers of climate change. That's a big first step.

Climate change is the biggest power and cash grab in the history of politics. And it is a goose that lays golden eggs. As long as politicians and their cronies are able to make money by the truck load off of the fear campaign of climate change, I wouldn't bet on its getting any better.

Reactions: 3 people
The best part of this deal is not the limitations or terms; it's the over 100 countries that have collectively, for the first time in written form, acknowledged the dangers of climate change. That's a big first step.

No doubt bruh. Writing this down has to be the greatest achievement of all mankind.

Climate change is the biggest power and cash grab in the history of politics. And it is a goose that lays golden eggs. As long as politicians and their cronies are able to make money by the truck load off of the fear campaign of climate change, I wouldn't bet on its getting any better.

Thank God the President is busy tackling issues like this, you know, instead of dealing with people actually being killed today right now.

:fireworks: happy happy....joy joy to the world.

Spot on.

The same can be said for a whole host of other topics. Climate Change is no different except for the fact that it will kill us, all of us, eventually.

No doubt bruh. Writing this down has to be the greatest achievement of all mankind.

I never said that but reading comprehension is not a strong point for you, so let me spell it out more:
i-t w-a-s a b-i-g f-i-r-s-t s-t-e-p

This was announced today, while the Climate conference has taken place over the course of a month. A bit of perspective is needed here for fairness. It's absurd to believe our government/citizens doens't give a $hit about what Isis's is doing based simply on the fact that Trump is the leading Republican candidate, but you know, whatever fits your narrative.

Last edited:
The same can be said for a whole host of other topics. Climate Change is no different except for the fact that it will kill us, all of us, eventually.

I never said that but reading comprehension is not a strong point for you, so let me spell it out more:
i-t w-a-s a b-i-g f-i-r-s-t s-t-e-p

I-t i-s n-o-t-h-i-n-g m-o-r-e t-h-a-n a p-o-w-e-r g-r-a-b.

Don't go full retard like your buddies.

And there is the rub. Humans have had little impact on the climate, there is nothing we can do to prevent the earth from warming or cooling yet we want to spend billions in a futile attempt. Where the money should be spent is dealing with the effects of a warming planet to ensure survival.

You should have to forfeit your Dutch citizenship.

And there is the rub. Humans have had little impact on the climate, there is nothing we can do to prevent the earth from warming or cooling yet we want to spend billions in a futile attempt. Where the money should be spent is dealing with the effects of a warming planet to ensure survival.

This is where we disagree, but in a way kinda agree. I feel like you acknowledge climate change but do not want to accept the fact that humans are the major cause. In addition, I feel like there are still steps that could be taken, some outlined in Paris, that could help at least stop the warming of the Earth, whereas you do not. But we do agree on your final point: more must be done to get us ready for this, instead of just accepting that a disaster will happen and kill millions of people.

Oh, I also believe that CC is more of a reason for terrorist activity, as stated by some govt officials in the last two weeks, then some of you are wanting to acknowledge.

This is where we disagree, but in a way kinda agree. I feel like you acknowledge climate change but do not want to accept the fact that humans are the major cause. In addition, I feel like there are still steps that could be taken, some outlined in Paris, that could help at least stop the warming of the Earth, whereas you do not. But we do agree on your final point: more must be done to get us ready for this, instead of just accepting that a disaster will happen and kill millions of people.

Oh, I also believe that CC is more of a reason for terrorist activity, as stated by some govt officials in the last two weeks, then some of you are wanting to acknowledge.

I will acknowledge climate change, it's a fact the earth has gone through several warming and cooling periods over it's existence. These warming and cooling periods happened without any help from humans, why should this warming period be any different?

I do reject the notion that climate change has had any effect on increased terrorist activity. That's ludicrous.

I will acknowledge climate change, it's a fact the earth has gone through several warming and cooling periods over it's existence. These warming and cooling periods happened without any help from humans, why should this warming period be any different?

I do reject the notion that climate change has had any effect on increased terrorist activity. That's ludicrous.

We've been through this, but the climate has seriously changed since the introduction of mass amounts of carbon. The data on that is pretty consistent.

And when I say I think CC contributes to terrorist activity, I mean it creates extreme drought and flooding---I believe what we are seeing in Syria, where there has been severe drought, is at least in some part due to CC. Although I do not agree with Sanders on many things, I do believe he is right on this one.

All of us will die, eventually. That is true. The reason for our demise will not be climate change. To presume a death of our species from climate change, we have to ignore that humans have survived ice ages and warming for 30,000+ years. Our ability to migrate from inhospitable regions of our planet, our ability to adapt over time to extreme temperatures, and our unique ability to shape (farming, building structures, organizing together) the local area in which we live all have proven we will survive.

For everyone who fears climate change, I am happy to assist you by taking your vehicle, your central heat/air, computers and other things which consume resources.

For everyone who fears climate change, I am happy to assist you by taking your vehicle, your central heat/air, computers and other things which consume resources.

I bike to work, and recently took advantage of the 30% tax credit to have 4 solar panels installed while I have reserved my Tesla Powerwall as well. I guess that makes me someone that practices what they preach? Sorry to disappoint you.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back