The SEC vs the B10

To make this judgment, we have to take a very detailed, rational look at opt-outs. I assume, for example, that OSU had far more opt-outs than Mizzou because OSU is sending far more players to the NFL. That's not a down year. To a recruit, OSU still looks more attractive because of this.

The only person that is eating it is Sankey today for hyping Alabama only to see them lose the first game. FSU got robbed.
Of what? A butt kicking at the hands of Michigan?

I watched parts of their games against Florida, crappy team, and Louisville, a mid team at best. they STRUGGLED in those. long before their whole defense opted out.

Reactions: Fightmaker
IMO the conference structure are mirror images.

Each conference has two top dogs (UGA/Bama) (Mich/OSU) Mich beat Bama this year. You won’t convince me otherwise that OSU beats UGA last year if MHJ doesn’t get knocked out of the game.

Each conference has different teams popping up for the 3rd and 4th best teams from year to year. This is where SEC typically wins the lean.

And as all conferences across the nation the mid to bottom teams are capable of winning/losing but you get about 1 good upset a year.

The SEC bottom is = to BIG 10 bottom.
The BIG10 top is = to SEC top.
SEC middle > BIG 10 middle.

That’s where the gap lives and separates itself Imo.
why are you comparing this year Michigan & Bama, but last years OSU and Georgia? OSU clearly wasn't very good this year.

The SEC has had 3 teams win a CFP title.
The B10 has had 1 team win a CFP title, with a chance for a second this year.

the SEC has won 6 national titles since the B10 last won one.

The SEC has had 2 teams in the playoff twice, the Big 10 hasn't done it once.
The national title game has been all SEC before.

I think we have had 2 teams who didn't win the SEC go on and win a national title. at some point its fair to wonder if its easier to win a national title than an SEC championship. With Georgia this year I think thats another data point.

This year I think things have shaken out to be:

Michigan (14-0)
Georgia (13-1)
Bama (12-2)
Missouri (11-2)
Ole Miss (11-2)
Ohio State (11-2)
Penn State (10-3)
LSU (10-3)
Tennessee (9-4)
Maryland (8-5)
Kentucky (7-6)
TAMU (7-6)
Wisconsin (7-6)
Auburn (6-7)
Iowa (10-4)
Florida (5-7)
Rutgers (7-6)
Minnesota (6-7)
Nebraska (5-7)
South Carolina (5-7)
Mississippi State (5-7)
Illinois (5-7)
Arkansas (4-8)
Michigan State (4-8)
Purdue (4-8)
Vandy (2-10)
Indiana 3-9

Reactions: -GiveHim6-
PSU got beat by Ol Miss. Wisconsin also lost to LSU.
With opt-outs and transfers, I don't know how much you can judge a team by a bowl appearance.
Those 2 losses were straight-up losses. The only team that has some kinda portal excuse would have been OSU. They lost most of their offense to portal/optout. And for giggles lost 3/4 of their 2023 WR haul from recruiting. SEC was 5-4 in bowl games 4-2 vs the big 10. We went 1-1 vs the ACC even though I'm not sure the UGA FSU could be legally defined as a football game. FSU was the posterboy for optout/portal decimation.

I think the playoffs will change it back to the better some but I mean most bowl games are hard to judge outside of the playoff teams. So many teams had half their players in the portal and NFL optouts are higher than ever.

Each conference has two top dogs (UGA/Bama) (Mich/OSU) Mich beat Bama this year. You won’t convince me otherwise that OSU beats UGA last year if MHJ doesn’t get knocked out of the game.

Each conference has different teams popping up for the 3rd and 4th best teams from year to year. This is where SEC typically wins the lean.

And as all conferences across the nation the mid to bottom teams are capable of winning/losing but you get about 1 good upset a year.

Now, tell me how many different Big teams have won national championships in the last 30 yrs and how many different SEC teams have won championships. Yeah, in any single yr a Big team can slip up and beat an SEC counterpart but the bowls and playoffs have a clear trend. That trend is a lot of preseason Big hype and a lot of azzwhoopins in the bowls and the playoffs.

Reactions: VolDave53
PSU got beat by Ol Miss. Wisconsin also lost to LSU.
With opt-outs and transfers, I don't know how much you can judge a team by a bowl appearance.

I agree, but if the turns were tabled, the BIG 10 and the Herbstreits of the world would be bragging about destroying the SEC.

I think the B10 bottom is bigger than the SEC bottom. The SEC has maybe 4 teams that more often than not really bad, but the B10 has more like 6 or 7. The majority of the B10 west is hot garbage.

Let me tell you what’s stupid, all these “we need to play Alabama every year” fans. Then pull for them in playoffs, so they can win and get more 5* players because they win in the playoffs. You are brilliant! Not only are you hurting us by playing them every year, you are helping with recruiting for them.

I hope every SEC team not named Tennessee loses every game. Conference pride to the point of hoping the competition beats non-competition makes no sense.

Yes I really hope one day Tennessee can be the dominate team in the worst and least respected conference in college football. Man if we could just hurry up the process and join the MAC or CUSA it would be so worth it!! If we really put in the work, I think 10 years from now we can match Liberty's current success; go 13-0 and get up to 18th in the polls. Total Voltopia! And to top it off we'll be getting the absolute best recruits in a conference recruits don't want to go to! As long as we are out recruiting our conference mates...that's all that matters. Nothing feels better than being #1 in recruiting with 14 2 stars!!! LET'S DO THIS!!! To HELL with the SEC!!!! Em-A-See! Em-A-See! Em-A-See!

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Yes I really hope one day Tennessee can be the dominate team in the worst and least respected conference in college football. Man if we could just hurry up the process and join the MAC or CUSA it would be so worth it!! If we really put in the work, I think 10 years from now we can match Liberty's current success; go 13-0 and get up to 18th in the polls. Total Voltopia! And to top it off we'll be getting the absolute best recruits in a conference recruits don't want to go to! As long as we are out recruiting our conference mates...that's all that matters. Nothing feels better than being #1 in recruiting with 14 2 stars!!! LET'S DO THIS!!! To HELL with the SEC!!!! Em-A-See! Em-A-See! Em-A-See!
Because Alabama and Georgia being dominate worked out so well for the last two decades. Not pulling for the competition. That's stupid at any level.

Reactions: Chad F
Because Alabama and Georgia being dominate worked out so well for the last two decades. Not pulling for the competition. That's stupid at any level.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I hope as well this conference crumbles around us. The best Vol fans like us want all SEC teams to lose as much as possible. That'll put us on top. Recruits will be coming from everywhere to play in the 4th best P5...and some years when the stars align just right we may be lucky enough to slip behind the Mountain West or the AAC. At that point it's Natties every other year. After all, it worked for Clemson. All we need to do is do what they did...go 13-0 and/or win the Conference every year. Piece of cake. It's like taking candy from a baby. How many times you think we can do this (go 13-0) over the next 10 years? I say at least 7.

The SEC tends to have a HUGE drop off when you get past the elite teams.

You take a look at Auburn for example. They nearly beat Alabama but got hammered by New Mexico State the week before and lost horrible in a noncompetitive bowl game (note they also had most their starters). The inconsistency of teams like Auburn has you scratching your head about the SEC.

Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Texas A&M all crap the bed this year. Tennessee kind of did by losing to Florida.

I think the B10 bottom is bigger than the SEC bottom. The SEC has maybe 4 teams that more often than not really bad, but the B10 has more like 6 or 7. The majority of the B10 west is hot garbage.
A bad SEC team would have a winning record in any other conference most years. The difference between the top and bottom in the Big10 and the SEC is way different. There are probably 4-5 teams each year that would not beat the worst SEC team that year. This changes to some extent next year when the BIG 10 becomes a 5-6 team conference instead of a 3 team conference. It brings them more in line to where the SEC is now. The problem with that is the SEC also adds 2 teams that are gonna be competitive. So now the gap between the big 2 conferences and everyone else widens but the gap between the SEC and Big10 remains the same.

The only person that is eating it is Sankey today for hyping Alabama only to see them lose the first game. FSU got robbed.
Florida state didn’t get robbed of anything. They would’ve been beaten by any team in the top 6 teams by two TDs minimum. Their leadership is the reason they’re still in the ACC, their leadership is the reason the playoff expansion is next year instead of this year. Florida state got karma this year period.

The SEC tends to have a HUGE drop off when you get past the elite teams.

You take a look at Auburn for example. They nearly beat Alabama but got hammered by New Mexico State the week before and lost horrible in a noncompetitive bowl game (note they also had most their starters). The inconsistency of teams like Auburn has you scratching your head about the SEC.

Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Texas A&M all crap the bed this year. Tennessee kind of did by losing to Florida.
Auburn was what number 9 in the conference?

Maryland was number 5 or 6 in theirs. They were ranked behind Iowa, but thats just because Maryland has to play the big 3 every year. really they were the 4th best team in the Big 10.

I don't think there were any major drop offs in the SEC, we were pretty spread out this year.
Bama and Georgia as the elite schools.
Ole Miss and Missouri behind them as the great teams.
LSU and Tenn behind them as the good teams.
TAMU, Kentucky, and Auburn were ok.
USC, Florida, were bad.
Mississippi State, Arkansas were very bad. a
nd Vandy was well Vandy.

the Big 10 has HUGE drop offs.
Michigan was elite.

Ohio State and Penn State were worse than our great teams.
Maryland was ok,
Iowa was a farce, decent but not 10-2 in ANY other P5 division. Wisconsin was decent.
the rest were TRASH.

like somewhere down at the bottom struggling between Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Vandy. and I would expect Vandy to pick up a couple wins in the Big 10.

Auburn was what number 9 in the conference?

Maryland was number 5 or 6 in theirs. They were ranked behind Iowa, but thats just because Maryland has to play the big 3 every year. really they were the 4th best team in the Big 10.

I don't think there were any major drop offs in the SEC, we were pretty spread out this year.
Bama and Georgia as the elite schools.
Ole Miss and Missouri behind them as the great teams.
LSU and Tenn behind them as the good teams.
TAMU, Kentucky, and Auburn were ok.
USC, Florida, were bad.
Mississippi State, Arkansas were very bad. a
nd Vandy was well Vandy.

the Big 10 has HUGE drop offs.
Michigan was elite.

Ohio State and Penn State were worse than our great teams.
Maryland was ok,
Iowa was a farce, decent but not 10-2 in ANY other P5 division. Wisconsin was decent.
the rest were TRASH.

like somewhere down at the bottom struggling between Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Vandy. and I would expect Vandy to pick up a couple wins in the Big 10.

Who would Vandy beat in the B1G? They lost to UNLV?

Iowa was about on par with Kentucky. Agree, B1G is usually suspect after Michigan and Ohio State but the SEC has struggling programs as well like Florida. SEC also lost a lot of its meaningful regular season OOC games, that didn't help the cause.

Who would Vandy beat in the B1G? They lost to UNLV?

Iowa was about on par with Kentucky. Agree, B1G is usually suspect after Michigan and Ohio State but the SEC has struggling programs as well like Florida. SEC also lost a lot of its meaningful regular season OOC games, that didn't help the cause.
Indiana definitely. And I would expect them to have picked up a win from someone between Purdue and Michigan State

Minnesota, Rutgers, and Illinois were probably too good but I wouldn't have been floored if Vandy found a win there if they played during the season. during a bowl game, sure Vandy wouldn't have much chance, but Vandy is used to playing against better teams game in and out.

and while Florida is struggling we are better than we have been. Florida would have been #10, so the SEC has depth to accept them being down. Not arguing this is probably the worst the SEC has ever been in the last decade or so, but we still have plenty of depth compared to others.

I forgot Northwestern, put them in the decent category.

we lost a lot of meaningful OOC because we played them. Not sure what meaningful OOC games the Big 10 played. we were 4 and 2 against the Big 10 in Bowl season.
I will give Ohio State credit for playing Notre Dame, but the rest aren't meaningful
but otherwise you have Michigan state playing Washington
Iowa played Iowa State

Wisconsin played Washington State
Indiana played Louisville
Maryland played Virginia
Rutgers and Purdue played Virginia tech
Illionois did play Kansas

Reactions: volbound1700
SEC finished 4-1 against the Big 10 in bowl games

#9 Missouri beat #7 Ohio State 14-3
#11 Ole Miss beat #10 Penn State 38-25
#13 LSU beat unranked Wisconsin 35-31
#21 TN beat #17 Iowa 35-0
#4 Alabama lost to #1 Michigan 20-27 in OT

SEC outscored their Big 10 opponents 142-86
You’re missing Auburn (SEC) vs Maryland (Big 10) and the 31-13 final

So you should probably edit it to be the SEC finishing 4-2 against the Big 10.

And that the SEC outscored their Big 10 opponents 155-117.

Now, tell me how many different Big teams have won national championships in the last 30 yrs and how many different SEC teams have won championships. Yeah, in any single yr a Big team can slip up and beat an SEC counterpart but the bowls and playoffs have a clear trend. That trend is a lot of preseason Big hype and a lot of azzwhoopins in the bowls and the playoffs.
Now if Michigan wins it this year does that make the Big 10 the better conference this year? That’s essentially what you’re arguing.

The answer is no, SEC was a much better conference this year than Big 10. However Big 10 could have the champion. Same with years past. Big 10 might have been a deeper conference but another school won the NC.

As I said I feel both conferences are similar. The top dogs can compete with each other. The bottom feeders can compete with each other. The middle of the conferences is a lean towards the SEC.

The talk of SEC being immensely superior is an exaggeration.

VN Store

Back