The Southern Indiana Postgame Report

1. The defensive length on this team is going to give every opponent big fits this season. They know how to use it in the paint. Southern Indiana tried to attack the basket all night and UT gave them hell.

2. Look, I'm not the coach, so I'm not at every practice, but man it's going to be hard not to give Pops Ndiaye minutes after his performance. He's very active on both ends, he rebounded well, and he hit a left handed hook Yemi never even thought about trying. He affected a ton of shots tonight. I don't know how you can not play him after that performance.

3. Jarnell Stokes looks great and is going to have an All-American season. Just wanted to let you guys know.

4. A big issue is the shooting. I figured it was going to be better, and one game doesn't mean a lot, but 3-21 is a big problem. Barton will help, but Hubbs has to be able to hit those outside shots.

5. It seemed pretty interesting that Cuonzo gave first half minutes to everyone in contention at the 4. Armani played more wing today. Reese/Edwards/Davis all had positives. Edwards was active on D. Reese attacked the boards, and Davis affected multiple shots.

6. Although what I don't like from Davis is that he gives too easy post position. If he's going to play the 4 this year, that has to get better or he'll be picked on all year.

7. Bernard King Player of the Game- Armani Moore. Lots of candidates tonight. Stokes probably should get it, but his lack of minutes hurt his stats. Moore was everywhere. Two blocks, a steal, four points, six boards, three assists, and excellent defense. He was everywhere tonight and his weak side defense was looking great. Love what he brings to the table.

8. I was disappointed in the ball movement tonight. Too many times it moved without purpose. You have to drive and kick. UT didn't do that. They shot really bad tonight. 36.4% won't cut it and Stokes/Maymon have to get more touches in the paint.

9. I was also disappointed in the bad entry passes. UT did not use the bounce pass, nor did they fake a move and make a pass. They tried going to the corners, which I liked, but it still didn't work very effectively. What I would like to see is one dribble left or right, fake the pass up, and then give it to the hand Maymon/Stokes is calling for with a bounce pass.

10. Anyways, it was a good win for UT. They attacked the basket, and their D looks excellent, even despite the fouling, which every team will battle with this season. I like this team. They look very talented. I want to see better shooting and better ball movement, but I'm not worried about it yet. Everyone enjoy the season. It's gonna be a good one.

Go Vols!!!!!! :hi:

good post.thanks for the info.looking forward to watching this team.

He does not like to pass the rock - he get any assists today? Moore and Richardson are better than McRae at the point imo.

Moore is in no way shape or form better at pg than McRae. When we have McRae at point his job isn't to become a passer. He's just bringing up the ball and starting the offense. He's a SCORER. He's not going to be used at the PG position a lot.

Thompson can give you 10-15 minutes a game and be productive. If you pair him with either Armani, Jordan, or Josh, then he can guard the weaker guard.

I hope you are right and I am sure he will get more comfortable - but he struggled tonight imo. Based on tonight - I would give most of those minutes to Richardson and Moore.

He does not like to pass the rock - he get any assists today? Moore and Richardson are better than McRae at the point imo.

He's a scorer and I'm ok with that mentality. If we do have emergency situations, I hope he stays on the wing. He will be ready to get the ball out of his hands after he makes it across half court at pg, and that's when we need for him to be moving without the ball in order to get the ball from a pg to attack the rim.

BYhMitKCYAAJH75.jpg:large

Needs a caption contest IMO

"Boy, yo game stanks! Woooo!"

I hope you are right and I am sure he will get more comfortable - but he struggled tonight imo. Based on tonight - I would give most of those minutes to Richardson and Moore.

Yea he's a true freshman, there will likely be some growing pains, this staff loves his potential though.

Shooting was atrocious.
Thompson plays the point way too upright. He'll get eaten alive in the SEC. Missed some wide open shots as well.

Pops is a load, but he'll struggle in league play. When Maymon and Stokes left the game the scoring literally stopped. Think they only scored around 7 points in the last 8 or so minutes.

Richardson looked good. Very 'in control.' Moore hustles and helps his team.

We've beaten the $hit out of 2 teams that gave Florida and Indiana all they wanted, and without our starting senior PG, I'm feeling good.

Reactions: 1 person
Possible, and not completely unsurprising, but shooting 36% doesn't exactly scream confidence in me, ya know.

Thanks for the report OP.

They'll get better. Just one game. I didn't see this game but I saw the previous one. This team, I believe, will be very enjoyable to see. Can't wait!
GO VOLS!

1. The defensive length on this team is going to give every opponent big fits this season. They know how to use it in the paint. Southern Indiana tried to attack the basket all night and UT gave them hell.

2. Look, I'm not the coach, so I'm not at every practice, but man it's going to be hard not to give Pops Ndiaye minutes after his performance. He's very active on both ends, he rebounded well, and he hit a left handed hook Yemi never even thought about trying. He affected a ton of shots tonight. I don't know how you can not play him after that performance.

3. Jarnell Stokes looks great and is going to have an All-American season. Just wanted to let you guys know.

4. A big issue is the shooting. I figured it was going to be better, and one game doesn't mean a lot, but 3-21 is a big problem. Barton will help, but Hubbs has to be able to hit those outside shots.

5. It seemed pretty interesting that Cuonzo gave first half minutes to everyone in contention at the 4. Armani played more wing today. Reese/Edwards/Davis all had positives. Edwards was active on D. Reese attacked the boards, and Davis affected multiple shots.

6. Although what I don't like from Davis is that he gives too easy post position. If he's going to play the 4 this year, that has to get better or he'll be picked on all year.

7. Bernard King Player of the Game- Armani Moore. Lots of candidates tonight. Stokes probably should get it, but his lack of minutes hurt his stats. Moore was everywhere. Two blocks, a steal, four points, six boards, three assists, and excellent defense. He was everywhere tonight and his weak side defense was looking great. Love what he brings to the table.

8. I was disappointed in the ball movement tonight. Too many times it moved without purpose. You have to drive and kick. UT didn't do that. They shot really bad tonight. 36.4% won't cut it and Stokes/Maymon have to get more touches in the paint.

9. I was also disappointed in the bad entry passes. UT did not use the bounce pass, nor did they fake a move and make a pass. They tried going to the corners, which I liked, but it still didn't work very effectively. What I would like to see is one dribble left or right, fake the pass up, and then give it to the hand Maymon/Stokes is calling for with a bounce pass.

10. Anyways, it was a good win for UT. They attacked the basket, and their D looks excellent, even despite the fouling, which every team will battle with this season. I like this team. They look very talented. I want to see better shooting and better ball movement, but I'm not worried about it yet. Everyone enjoy the season. It's gonna be a good one.

Go Vols!!!!!! :hi:

Moore is probably going to be my favorite Vol this season (apart from the two Memphis guys, naturally). He does the little stuff and really impacts the stat sheet defensively in relation to his minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Richardson in the minds of Vol fans as the "best defender on the team".

Well played game last night, all around.

Moore is probably going to be my favorite Vol this season (apart from the two Memphis guys, naturally). He does the little stuff and really impacts the stat sheet defensively in relation to his minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Richardson in the minds of Vol fans as the "best defender on the team".

Well played game last night, all around.

Did you watch/attend the last 2 games?

Ok champ.

Well in the first game southern Florida had a guy go off for 18 in the first half, Richardson guards him primarily the second half and he's shut down. Last night they had a lightning quick PG, Thomson, McRae and just about everyone else couldn't keep him out of the lane. Richardson switched on to him and he wasn't nearly as effective.

Most people don't draw a conclusion on 2 players without watching either play, that's why I asked.

Well in the first game southern Florida had a guy go off for 18 in the first half, Richardson guards him primarily the second half and he's shut down. Last night they had a lightning quick PG, Thomson, McRae and just about everyone else couldn't keep him out of the lane. Richardson switched on to him and he wasn't nearly as effective.

Most people don't draw a conclusion on 2 players without watching either play, that's why I asked.

That's a really awesome story.

Problem is I've watched both players play, and I'm not saying Richardson isn't a very good defender. But Moore is currently undervalued, and I bet he'll have a great year playing more time at the wing, possibly the 4. IMO with his ability to force turnovers and get blocks, he could be the best defender you have.

Feel free to disagree, I was telling you guys exactly one year ago that McRae should be starting and getting huge minutes. You gnashed your teeth about it because it was coming from me but you saw that I was right after the Memphis game.

That's a really awesome story.

Problem is I've watched both players play, and I'm not saying Richardson isn't a very good defender. But Moore is currently undervalued, and I bet he'll have a great year playing more time at the wing, possibly the 4. IMO with his ability to force turnovers and get blocks, he could be the best defender you have.

Feel free to disagree, I was telling you guys exactly one year ago that McRae should be starting and getting huge minutes. You gnashed your teeth about it because it was coming from me but you saw that I was right after the Memphis game.

You're right, you were the only person on this board that thought McRae should be playing more, would you like a cookie?

How did Maymon look? Still explosive?

How did Thompson do running the point?

IMO

Maymon looks good, still knocking the rust off. If he can play 25-30 minutes he will be a 10&10 guy a night. He's gonna defer the scoring to McRae and stokes so he won't put up huge numbers, but he's fine with that and his assist numbers obviously go up.

Thompson has great vision and pretty good ball handling for a freshman guard his size. The weakness of his game which has been my concern from day one is lateral quickness, he had a lot of trouble with the quickness of the PG last night.

You're right, you were the only person on this board that thought McRae should be playing more, would you like a cookie?

I want a cookie bc I thought he should be too.... LOL sorry for interrupting....I will let you two get back to arguing.

VN Store

Back