The Starting QB for Team 117

Lol yes I think a NFL QB is better then 3 kids that have only played high school football so far?

Foolish me, right? Lawl

If you think Matt Simms is an NFL Qb because he's 3rd string,then yes, foolish you!

I guess you think Tim tebow is also an NFL Qb?

The only problem is: Are the coaches trying to find an A out of B+s or a C- out of Ds?

Competition is only good if you know the bar. From what people have said about practices and, by the scrimmage numbers, the top-to-bottom doesn't look very good.

Great point! To hear the coaches speak about the 4 QB's, you'd think they were all rising stars. Yet their perfromances in practice say otherwise. However it does cause me to wonder just how much poor WR play has affected the appearance of the QB play. I keep hearing how the WR's are dropping a lot balls and some have even claimed that the WR's look like they've actually regressed since the start of camp!

Regardless who starts against AP, I think we can expect at least both non-freshman QB's to get some playing time against AP and WK. Also, who ever starts early might not necessarily be the starter all season. CBJ isn't afraid to change QB's during the season, as he did last year.

Quit worrying, Butch gets it and the best player(s) will play. . .

T
I think I'm now wanting to see this turn out like the year we all thought CJ Leak would be the starter. Shortly before that UNLV game, Fulmer announced the two freshmen would be "starters". We all think it's going to be Worley, but I think if it was going to be Worley, he would have wont he job before a week until kickoff.

Tend to agree. Think Peterman may have overtaken him.

Texas A & M started a redshirt freshman quarterback last year. Worked out pretty good for them.

Which would mean starting Peterman and not Dobbs or Ferguson. I would be OK with Peterman starting and have no doubt he will get playing time in the first two games. I think Peterman gives another dimension that Worley doesn't have, which is the ability to run.

That is an entertaining idea. Leak was outplaying everyone one up to that point. I think a large part of him not starting instead of Ainge and Schaeffer was that Leak's dad had really ticked Fulmer off and he had enough of that family, so he rolled the dice with the freshmen.
Sad to say, I agree. Fulmer popped his cork but CJ Leak was a dead end street.

if peterman starts it will be worley to Furman or could be the Mocs new starting QB i say peterman wins and dobbs # 2 and riley #3

Reactions: 1 person
my first pick was Peterman but I think worely's game experience might give him the advantage.

I hope the best qb wins the starting job, however I don't understand the love affair with Worley. Sure he has experience but he wasn't impressive at all. He throws side armed and his delivery is way to slow. If he does turn out to be the best qb it's gonna be a long year.

I hope the best qb wins the starting job, however I don't understand the love affair with Worley. Sure he has experience but he wasn't impressive at all. He throws side armed and his delivery is way to slow. If he does turn out to be the best qb it's gonna be a long year.

One name for you- Danny Wuerffel.

I am also concerned about Worley's delivery. More the habit he has of dropping the ball just a little before throwing it than anything else. There's no real "love affair". It just looks at this point that Jones has given 3 guys a legitimate shot to knock him out of the #1 spot and they've been unable to do it. That could mean he's great, he's terrible, or any degree in between.

But the one glaring fact from the outside looking in is that Peterman split reps with Worley in the spring and was relegated to primarily 2nd team reps this fall. Dobbs was given 1st team reps this fall then Ferguson got his shot. Through it all, Worley went out first and got the most reps with the 1's. (at least as reported today in the context of interviewing the coaches).

The thing you would normally look for in an open competition for a QB job is if challengers can take #1 reps away from the guy running with the 1's. So far... the answer has been no.

Jones could throw a complete curve ball but from the outside looking in... it does not appear that any of the other guys have taken the job.

I know everyone wants to know who the starting QB will be, but obviously the competition has been very close and it probably may bounce back and forth for 2-3 games. Coach Jones has a better chance of evaluating both QB's in game conditions and under duress/pressure situations. Now having said that, both QB's are probably capable of running the offense as this year we will see a totally different game plan. Last year with Dooley/Bray, Patterson, Hunter,Rivera,Zack Rogers, throwing the football was 1st and formost. I think we'll see a more balanced attack this year.
Go Vols

I think bUTch has known who the starting qb will be for a while now, but he wants all of the players to compete at all times.

One name for you- Danny Wuerffel.

I am also concerned about Worley's delivery. More the habit he has of dropping the ball just a little before throwing it than anything else. There's no real "love affair". It just looks at this point that Jones has given 3 guys a legitimate shot to knock him out of the #1 spot and they've been unable to do it. That could mean he's great, he's terrible, or any degree in between.

But the one glaring fact from the outside looking in is that Peterman split reps with Worley in the spring and was relegated to primarily 2nd team reps this fall. Dobbs was given 1st team reps this fall then Ferguson got his shot. Through it all, Worley went out first and got the most reps with the 1's. (at least as reported today in the context of interviewing the coaches).

The thing you would normally look for in an open competition for a QB job is if challengers can take #1 reps away from the guy running with the 1's. So far... the answer has been no.

Jones could throw a complete curve ball but from the outside looking in... it does not appear that any of the other guys have taken the job.

The one word I would like to reiterate to you is unimpressive, as in Worley stats. 1td5picks. Don't think Danny wuerffels stat line ever read 1 td 5 int.

I think bUTch has known who the starting qb will be for a while now, but he wants all of the players to compete at all times.

Worley was the starter coming out of Spring and no one has taken the spot. Worley will be the starter game 1 and every other game until he gets hurt or it's obvious to this coaching staff that he can't do the job. I think the kid can play, I mean he threw for over 14000 yds and 150 or so TD's in HS, National HS Player of he Year! Made Clowney look like a clown head to head!

:hi:

Tennesseeduke

I'm going to say the Worley will actually start but he will probably get benched early. (possibly the Western KY game) I think Peterman actually ends the season.

Last edited:
I think Worley will get is chance but there will be a short leash on him and then Peterman or one of the freashman take the raines. If Riley Ferguson keeps showing up he might be at the helm.

VN Store

Back