The Third Saturday in October

Would you be in favor of not playing Bama every season?

• Yes

Votes: 101 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 62.2%

• Total voters
It's our rivalry game. It has to stay.
But its not theirs, they look at us like Miss. State. They say all the right things on game day,smoke the Cigar & laugh all the way home for going through the frivolities but if you really talk to Bama fans and their honest, Tennessee is not a rival. Kentucky and Vanderbilt call us rivals, I don't look at hem as rivals. It is what it is, as an old fan I want to believe that Bama call us a rival but its just not reality.

Most every team now has tough schedule, and we're not on an island anymore with arguably the toughest SEC conf schedule every year. We all know that UT, Bama and SEC aren't going to let this game go off the schedule.

But its not theirs, they look at us like Miss. State. They say all the right things on game day,smoke the Cigar & laugh all the way home for going through the frivolities but if you really talk to Bama fans and their honest, Tennessee is not a rival. Kentucky and Vanderbilt call us rivals, I don't look at hem as rivals. It is what it is, as an old fan I want to believe that Bama call us a rival but its just not reality.
topic from another board...a good bit of Bama votes for TN, so even though we've not competed w/ them (or really any high level SEC team until a little more w/ JH), Bama definitely doesn't look at us like MST.

re: What two SEC schools truly have the most hatred towards each other ?
Alabama is hated pretty hard by Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU. I’m not sure who we hate the most in return; it was probably Tennessee until they started sucking. Auburn fans are more of an annoyance since so many have a permanent chip on their shoulder and think everything is a giant conspiracy to prop Alabama up and keep Auburn down.

re: What two SEC schools truly have the most hatred towards each other ?
For me it’s Alabama and Tennessee. I will always hate Tennessee . Always have. Always will.

I don’t like Auburn but hate might be too strong.

I don’t like LSU mainly because their fans are stupid. I have met very few intelligent LSU fans. Idiots. I do have a friend who started for LSU about 10 years ago. I make an exception for him. He’s a great guy. Other than that I think they are dumbasses.

Reactions: pimo1
I’ll say this: if the TSIO as an annual rivalry is abolished because we only keep Vandy as an annual game, I don’t see a reason to stay in the SEC. Grab Kentucky and move to the ACC.

The entire point of being in the SEC (as a fan) is to keep up those annual traditional rivals. We have as much or more connection to Georgia Tech, Clemson, Duke, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina as we do Missouri, Oklahoma, aTm, and Texas.

So if we’re not going to continue the great annual rivalries like Alabama, Auburn (used to be huge), Kentucky, etc., why stay in the SEC with a tougher row to hoe? Move to the ACC, win more championships, and win 10+ games and make the playoff every year.

Living in Tide Land now I can tell you they hate TN just as much as ever and want to beat us in any sport we play them, just like we feel the same way about them. Just beating us, in their minds, keeps things the way they are supposed to be. They see Auburn as the annoying step child trying to be them but are not and beating them every year keeps them in their place. That's the difference between their TN-AU dislikes.

And as Orangefloyd posted above and as Spurrier once said: "A rivalry is not a rivalry if the same team wins all the time". So take that as you will.

I’ll say this: if the TSIO as an annual rivalry is abolished because we only keep Vandy as an annual game, I don’t see a reason to stay in the SEC. Grab Kentucky and move to the ACC.

The entire point of being in the SEC (as a fan) is to keep up those annual traditional rivals. We have as much or more connection to Georgia Tech, Clemson, Duke, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina as we do Missouri, Oklahoma, aTm, and Texas.

So if we’re not going to continue the great annual rivalries like Alabama, Auburn (used to be huge), Kentucky, etc., why stay in the SEC with a tougher row to hoe? Move to the ACC, win more championships, and win 10+ games and make the playoff every year.
This! Past time for the Vols to make a move and get out of the SEC cellar / sewer.

If we want to be known as a playoff contender every year, why would we run away from the team that more likely than not, is gonna be there most years as long as Saban hangs his hat in Tuscaloosa? To be considered as an elite team, we have to play, and beat, the teams that are considered elite teams. Who knows, we could just as easily go on a long winning streak against them. Wouldn't it be nice to get back to even with them? At my age I'm not likely to see that happen, but maybe I would get a glance at it from Glory.

With the additions of Texas and Oklahoma next season the schedule is about to get significantly tougher for everyone in the SEC including us. I’ve long thought that we got the shaft having to play Bama every year when Florida and Georgia didn’t have to. Would you be in favor of dropping the Alabama game and playing them every 3 to 4 years? We could pick up Ole Miss again as an annual opponent or even Auburn back in the day we used to play those teams every year and now hardly ever play them. I know of course that some traditionalists would strongly oppose not playing Alabama every season, but it really hasn’t helped us much in the last twenty years only winning 3 times since 2004 and it’s always usually a automatic loss every season. We always get screwed over by the refs in Tuscaloosa as well so I ask you this fellow Vol fans is it really worth the frustration and hassle of playing these fools every year? The landscape of college football is drastically changing and alot of long rivalries have ended in recent years due to expansion and realignment so I def wouldn’t be too upset or anything if the Bama game was dropped in 2025 and it’s not a guarantee anyway that it will continue past next season because of the 9 game conference schedule the SEC will adopt starting in the 2025 season.

Understand that chalking up tut annual loss sucks, but I think the key is patience. The tables will turn at some point and it will feel like ‘95-‘06 again.

I see them really falling off once Saban hangs it up. I would like to keep them on the schedule. I think with the growth of talent in TN due totit population shifts it will really begin to benefit us and we will see Tennessee beat Bama more often than not once Saban is gone.
When Saban retires, they will go get a top coach in the country. Don't know about beating them more often than not. Hope so

Reactions: DarkVolder
I want to play Bama every year,
but I am also incredibly excited to play other West teams we have barely seen in 30 seasons, in addition to the newer teams.
I love the format of rotating through the Conference, home and away, and think it will be great to make the conference much more cohesive.

I just don’t think that the younger people in this fan base understand the significance and tradition of Tennessee and Bama as to them Florida and Georgia are bigger games.

Bama fans will tell you Auburn is bigger rivalry game as it is in state, but there’s hate for Tennessee.

You earn hate by being good and dominating an opponent for years at a time. I still think no team has beat Bama more times than Tennessee has in football.

On a side note I think Tennessee has beat Kentucky more times than anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkVolder

The ACC is likely spiraling into a non power 5 conference. FSU and Clemson want out, if they can beat that Grant of Rights. NC and Duke want out too.

In desperation they picked up....... Cal? Stanford? There's some regional rivalry schools for TN. 🙄

This! Past time for the Vols to make a move and get out of the SEC cellar / sewer.
Take yourself and your thinking to another conference. I never speak in absolutes but today I will. Tennessee is never leaving the SEC so you and the weak minded take your butts to another team. We don’t need your type of fandom at Tennessee!!!! What is past time is you spilling your drivel here. GBO

Reactions: PetrosBoy
They will still be so far ahead of us whoever they hire will step into a great situation. It will be like when Les replaced Saban at LSU
Not entirely. Saban can’t win without the right QB and help from officials these days. The game has changed and defense cant seem to hold teams scoreless like they did in the early 2000’s.

I know of course that some traditionalists would strongly oppose not playing Alabama every season, but it really hasn’t helped us much in the last twenty years only winning 3 times since 2004 and it’s always usually a automatic loss every season.

Do we need to eliminate every damn tradition, just because most of them are gone? The 3rd Saturday has been the game I most look forward to ever since being at the '82 game in Bear's last season and helped carry the North goal post out of Neyland and down Cumberland.

And the series has always gone in streaks one way or the other. Saban is nearing the end, and my guess is that the tide will turn again (pun intended) and it will be much more competitive, like it used to be. But not having that game on the schedule every year would kind of be the final nail in the coffin of what the SEC used to be.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back