The Third Saturday in October

Would you be in favor of not playing Bama every season?

• Yes

Votes: 101 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 62.2%

• Total voters
I used to be demanding about keeping the 3rd week of October. However after seeing how the thumb is on the scales for them year in and year out, I’ve had my fill of it. Play Bama about as much as we play Miss State, and whenever.

This is really the only reason I am fine with ending the rivalry. The officiating seems to be disingenuous at best when we play down there. If we put an end to 3rd Saturday, there better be a terrible calls compilation along with a press release calling for scandal and fraud. I’m not a quitter, but I can’t stand a cheater and there is a moral obligation to stand against it.

Otherwise, you’re no different than the people who elected the Biden crime family (or insert any embezzling politician). There has to come a point where even the stupid have to know that something is off.

This! Past time for the Vols to make a move and get out of the SEC cellar / sewer.
That is a cowardly way of thinking. UT is a great program with a winning tradition. People get so caught up in the now. We want everything immediately all gain no pain. I have been a UT fan for almost 40 years now and can proudly say the good times outweigh the bad. The decade before CJH was regrettable but it was something that had to happen. I think UT sports overall are in as good a place as they ever have been. UT not in the SEC would just be wrong and that's not a world I would want to be in..

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
If Heupel was truthful, he probably be all for giving up the Alabama game and moving over to the ACC. His laid back approached to coaching and recruiting doesn't properly align with the SEC style of coach.

If Heupel was truthful, he probably be all for giving up the Alabama game and moving over to the ACC. His laid back approached to coaching and recruiting doesn't properly align with the SEC style of coach.
ACC or AAC

we have beat them 39 times,more than any other team has won against them.
Auburn is 2 games behind us on wins and they've played them 88 times. We've played them 105 times. Auburn vs alabama is one of the top 3 most hated rivalries. Prob #2 just behind Ohio st and Michigan. Vanderbilt is our rivalry hence why we play them during rivalry week

Reactions: DarkVolder
Us and Auburn are the only two teams that have play UGA and Bama annually. Time to move away from this type of scheduling with todays playoff system

Reactions: Rocky Top T
I "Payback!" But with Sanky, the SEC HQ in Birmingham and their trained Bama refs (so obvious this past year) when can we ever win? You thin Satan retiring will give us a chance? Ha! No Way! Not until all the above is fixed!

I "Payback!" But with Sanky, the SEC HQ in Birmingham and their trained Bama refs (so obvious this past year) when can we ever win? You thin Satan retiring will give us a chance? Ha! No Way! Not until all the above is fixed!
I think Texas will raise a big stink about it next season when they see firsthand what the rest of the SEC has been dealing with from Bama and Sankey for years now. SEC headquarters in Birmingham what a crock of chit that is.

Us and Auburn are the only two teams that have play UGA and Bama annually. Time to move away from this type of scheduling with todays playoff system
Georgia will be just a normal rotation game in the schedule after next season, even if they go to the 3-6 schedule. Our permanent opponents would be Vandy, Bama, and probably UK.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Georgia will be just a normal rotation game in the schedule after next season, even if they go to the 3-6 schedule. Our permanent opponents would be Vandy, Bama, and probably UK.
I’m just talking more in years past…it hasn’t helped us lately when both have been at peak years

Unless we go to a 9-conference game schedule, this series will go to every other year beginning in 2025.

With 8 conference games, Vandy is our annual rival game.
With 9 conference games, Vandy, Kentucky and Alabama are our annual rival games.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I’m just talking more in years past…it hasn’t helped us lately when both have been at peak years

Because we were in the same division as Georgia and Alabama was a 'permanent' cross division rival. The reason it wasn't 'fair' is only because of the utter incompetence and mismanagement of the UT program from Fulmer's final seasons until White and Heupel arrived.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
This game doesn’t have the significance it used too is what I’m saying. Auburn and LSU are bigger rivals to Bama than we are now

This is simply not true. Ask any bammer you know.

And the UT - Bama game is the favorite game of the year for a whole lot of people on both sides - especially those of a certain age that have come to enjoy the fleeting moments of beauty that only a hate game of this magnitude can produce. Win or lose.

Reactions: sami and DuckInAPen
That is a cowardly way of thinking. UT is a great program with a winning tradition. People get so caught up in the now. We want everything immediately all gain no pain. I have been a UT fan for almost 40 years now and can proudly say the good times outweigh the bad. The decade before CJH was regrettable but it was something that had to happen. I think UT sports overall are in as good a place as they ever have been. UT not in the SEC would just be wrong and that's not a world I would want to be in..

I think it is a little more than that, Tennessee as a State is not a huge location for blue chop recruits. Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Alabama all hVe more 4 star and 5 star prospects.

UGA and UF have bigger student bodies and reside in states with more people, more media centers, stronger economics, and the. Better recruiting options. UT is at a disadvantage on resources to the other SEC rivals and it is hard to call them elite anymore as a result. Once Georgia, LSU, and others figured out how to recruit in-state, it was game over.

Sure Tennessee could win big with the right coach but we don't have that and thst is very rare.

The Alabama vs. Tennessee rivalry was predicated on both being the top 2 teams in the SEC, I wouldn't call Tennessee the 2nd best program anymore and I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

Nobody is saying we shouldn’t play them, just not every season.
The 3rd Saturday in October has been a tradition for nearly 100 years, despite getting the date moved a little now and then.

With all the traditions being abandoned in college football, this isn't one we should just give away or run away from.

Saban will be gone soon and maybe they'll get another DuBose or Shula.

It's a hard no from me and I'll bet it's an even harder no from the powers that be at UT and the SEC.

I think it is a little more than that, Tennessee as a State is not a huge location for blue chop recruits. Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Alabama all hVe more 4 star and 5 star prospects.

UGA and UF have bigger student bodies and reside in states with more people, more media centers, stronger economics, and the. Better recruiting options. UT is at a disadvantage on resources to the other SEC rivals and it is hard to call them elite anymore as a result. Once Georgia, LSU, and others figured out how to recruit in-state, it was game over.

Sure Tennessee could win big with the right coach but we don't have that and thst is very rare.

The Alabama vs. Tennessee rivalry was predicated on both being the top 2 teams in the SEC, I wouldn't call Tennessee the 2nd best program anymore and I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.
Like I said, cowardly. Tennesse is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was as far as talent is concerned from even as far back as the 90's. UT has something almost no other SEC city has. It's not a podunk town in the middle of nowhere. There is a reason Spyre is one of the biggest NIL collectives in the nation. But none of that really matters what matters is that UT belongs in the SEC and running off to what the ACC does what? You can't beat the bully in your neighborhood so you move? What happens when you can't beat the guy in the new place? Where does that stop? Instead of running from problems people need to face them and move forward. Yes, it sucks we haven't won the SEC in a while. That wait is soon to end.

With the additions of Texas and Oklahoma next season the schedule is about to get significantly tougher for everyone in the SEC including us. I’ve long thought that we got the shaft having to play Bama every year when Florida and Georgia didn’t have to. Would you be in favor of dropping the Alabama game and playing them every 3 to 4 years? We could pick up Ole Miss again as an annual opponent or even Auburn back in the day we used to play those teams every year and now hardly ever play them. I know of course that some traditionalists would strongly oppose not playing Alabama every season, but it really hasn’t helped us much in the last twenty years only winning 3 times since 2004 and it’s always usually a automatic loss every season. We always get screwed over by the refs in Tuscaloosa as well so I ask you this fellow Vol fans is it really worth the frustration and hassle of playing these fools every year? The landscape of college football is drastically changing and alot of long rivalries have ended in recent years due to expansion and realignment so I def wouldn’t be too upset or anything if the Bama game was dropped in 2025 and it’s not a guarantee anyway that it will continue past next season because of the 9 game conference schedule the SEC will adopt starting in the 2025 season.

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back