The UNOFFICIAL 2014 Wimby Thread

I think Fed has beaten Raonic 4 straight times and in straight sets at the Australian Open last year.

But just since the past 3 months, Raonic's game has really come together. That serve is tremendous. I'm pulling hard for Federer, but deep down know there's a 50/50 chance it doesn't go his way.

I got Murray totally wrong. Totally. But am glad Dimitrov won.

This Wimbledon has given me hope that there are some great players coming up the ranks to somewhat fill the void that'll be left by RF and RN in the next few years.

Finally, tennis needs a healthy Del Potro. Unfortunate injuries.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No shame in getting Murray wrong. Even though Baby Fed has been coming on pretty well lately, I doubt many people not related to Dmitrov had him winning that match. I am really looking forward to the semis. I think both matches will be pretty competitive.

I'm taking Federer in 4 sets. I say this without having seen much of Stan's form since he beat Federer in the Monte Carlo final earlier this season. Playing on the grass just makes this a probable win for RF. Of course, serving difficulties could change everything. RF in 4.

I like this Kyrgios kid a lot. Never phased by the fact he was playing number one player in world on Centre Court at Wimbledon. Unreal. Raonic in 5.

Looking forward to Dimitrov v. Murray tomorrow. I expect Murray to come through (and possibly win it all), but I am anxious to see Gigor's form. It is time for him to make a move on tour. Murray in 4.

Djokovic v. Cilic has potential as well. Djokovic in 5. Good day for tennis tomorrow.

Did you see Grigor v. Murray? I wish I would have.

I think Fed has beaten Raonic 4 straight times and in straight sets at the Australian Open last year.

But just since the past 3 months, Raonic's game has really come together. That serve is tremendous. I'm pulling hard for Federer, but deep down know there's a 50/50 chance it doesn't go his way.

I got Murray totally wrong. Totally. But am glad Dimitrov won.

This Wimbledon has given me hope that there are some great players coming up the ranks to somewhat fill the void that'll be left by RF and RN in the next few years.

Finally, tennis needs a healthy Del Potro. Unfortunate injuries.

I give Raonic no chance of beating Fed.

And yes, tennis always needs a healthy Del Potro. Solid player.

Saw the post-match interview w/ Kvitova, and I have to say, she cleans up pretty well. Funny how sometimes women can tread the line of ugly/pretty on court and then be pretty hot away from the court.

I hope Federer gets into Raonic's serve early on. Tie-breakers are a crap shoot and not good for my stomach. I think Raonic has a chance tomorrow and it won't even take a perfect storm. His game on grass is a huge threat to anyone.

Didn't see a single point of Murray v. Dimitrov. Had I known what was going on, I would've tuned in. I was at work and clicked on the score app to see Grigor with a match point and couldn't believe it.

Sounds crazy, but I give Dimitrov a shot tomorrow as well. Not a great one, but a shot. He has beaten Djoker on clay.

Saw the post-match interview w/ Kvitova, and I have to say, she cleans up pretty well. Funny how sometimes women can tread the line of ugly/pretty on court and then be pretty hot away from the court.

Ha ha. Didn't "The Worm" Radek Stepanek date her for a while? The Worm has dated some beautiful women who must not be able to resist his spell.

I can never get past the belly on Kvitova. Or any of the women players actually. How can they play professional tennis and not be in top shape?

But to your point, I hardly recognize most of these women players when they are fancied up and photographed out on the town. Some are gorgeous.

Ha ha. Didn't "The Worm" Radek Stepanek date her for a while? The Worm has dated some beautiful women who must not be able to resist his spell.

I can never get past the belly on Kvitova. Or any of the women players actually. How can they play professional tennis and not be in top shape?

But to your point, I hardly recognize most of these women players when they are fancied up and photographed out on the town. Some are gorgeous.

LOL. The belly and the posture, itself, take away from her looks for sure.

Yes, he dated and married Nicole Vaidosova (sp) sometime after she reached the semis of the French as a teenager. She went to s***, soon after and retired from the game. He also dated Martina Hingis,who was rumored to be a coke-head nearing the end of her career, prior to marrying Nicole. I get this info from my wife, who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the sport.

One year, when my wife and I attended the Memphis event, Stepanek was coming up the steps while we were about to descend. (this shows how tuned-in I am to the sport compared to her) Wifey nudges me and excitedly whispers "There's Radek." By this time the ugly bastage was right next to me, I turned to her and said "THAT'S not Roddick." She tells me "Stepanek, dumbass." Of course, I said "I knew that - I've seen him dozens of..."
Wifey: 'Right'

Eating crow - good, and good for ya..

Yeah, I know, "cool story, bro"

Dmitrov screwed up. He had four set point in the fourth, by my count. The announcers refuse to tell it like it is - 'you screwed up, bro.'

You guys may be right in this Fed match. His serve is on, which I think has been suspect, lately. I still think he's gonna see trouble from Milos before it's over.

Fed wins first set by breaking MR's serve first game. As Memphis says, it'll be a battle before it's over, especially if it gets to tie-breakers. Match can switch momentum easily when it looks like Federer is in control.

Guess it's my time to eat crow. If I was Ljubicic, I would have to ask Raonic a couple of questions:

How do you expect to win if you can't return and have no ground game?
If you have no return, how many times can you survive 40-0 on your opponent's serve?
If you possess a 150 mph serve, why is the second going in at 98?
Do you REALLY want to be Isner, Jr.?

Well, that's more than a couple, but that match should not have been done in 3, even given the above. I'm not disappointed in the result, but I'm disappointed in the Raonic game, as usual. Would like to see him do better.

Last edited:
I was really surprised with how Federer basically put a clinical defeat on Raonic today. But hard servers have never really bothered Federer. Especially those with no real game beyond the serve.

What are the bookmakers saying about the final? I don't know where to look or what it means anyway. I'd say Djokovic is the heavy favorite.

Here's my take. I say Federer in 4. Seems he has taken care of Djoker on grass in the recent past. Fed is playing well and serving well. Djokovic has been on edge. This is Federer's true last shot at another major. Now or never. Djokovic is a hell of a player and could win this in straights. But he petered out in the French final and I see the same tomorrow. I hope mostly.

Finally, if it's not in the cards for Fed to win, I want a blow out in Djoker's favor. Make it so there are no what ifs-5th set 12-14 scoreline or something unbearable.

Raonic seemed to have a pretty good ground game prior to playing Federer, but then, he wasn't playing Federer when he did have it going.

Not sure what the odds are. Maybe the Kid can shed some light on it.

Hope you're right about the final. I'll go with your take.

Man, I took a snooze at 3-1 in first set and woke up to 3-0 in second. Kvitova blasted her off the court.

Guess it's my time to eat crow. If I was Ljubicic, I would have to ask Raonic a couple of questions:

How do you expect to win if you can't return and have no ground game?
If you have no return, how many times can you survive 40-0 on your opponent's serve?
If you possess a 150 mph serve, why is the second going in at 98?
Do you REALLY want to be Isner, Jr.?

Well, that's more than a couple, but that match should not have been done in 3, even given the above. I'm not disappointed in the result, but I'm disappointed in the Raonic game, as usual. Would like to see him do better.

I think Milos sucks. Plain and simple. One of the worst beatdowns I've seen in the last few years was when Nadal beat Raonic in the final at Montreal last year. Just beat the funk out of him. Milos has nothing if you get his serve back in play.

Man, I took a snooze at 3-1 in first set and woke up to 3-0 in second. Kvitova blasted her off the court.

Whenever Kvitova is on her A-game (which is rare), she's remarkably good. Unbeatable on grass.

Raonic seemed to have a pretty good ground game prior to playing Federer, but then, he wasn't playing Federer when he did have it going.

Not sure what the odds are. Maybe the Kid can shed some light on it.

Hope you're right about the final. I'll go with your take.

Fed wasn't favored by as much as he should have been. It was about 2.5-1. I was definitely on Fed.

LOL. The belly and the posture, itself, take away from her looks for sure.

Yes, he dated and married Nicole Vaidosova (sp) sometime after she reached the semis of the French as a teenager. She went to s***, soon after and retired from the game. He also dated Martina Hingis,who was rumored to be a coke-head nearing the end of her career, prior to marrying Nicole. I get this info from my wife, who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the sport.

One year, when my wife and I attended the Memphis event, Stepanek was coming up the steps while we were about to descend. (this shows how tuned-in I am to the sport compared to her) Wifey nudges me and excitedly whispers "There's Radek." By this time the ugly bastage was right next to me, I turned to her and said "THAT'S not Roddick." She tells me "Stepanek, dumbass." Of course, I said "I knew that - I've seen him dozens of..."
Wifey: 'Right'

Eating crow - good, and good for ya..

Yeah, I know, "cool story, bro"

1. Tell your wife to come join in the conversation.

2. Hingis was a coke-head and some would argue a coke wheeuuuure.

Ever see Stepanek play in person? He has the worst strokes you've ever seen. So awkward looking, and yet he wins. He's quite a strange one.

VN Store

Back