The (Unofficial) French Open Thread

Also, if you want to bet on Nadal on the first round, you only have to risk 20K to win a hundred bucks.

Donald Young put up a good fight in the first set, lost the tiebreaker, and then just basically quit.

Querrey took the first set, but Tipsy prevailed. Not surprising how that played out. I think Tips is just in better condition for a five setter.

Mr. Gasquet: your efforts in winning the third set tiebreaker are greatly appreciated. Thank you, good sir.

If you like fighters, if you like great comeaback stories, if you like players with huge heart, you have to be in Brian Baker's corner for as long as he can last in this tournament. He is an inspiration. Nadal tweeted something like @Brian Baker - thank you for the inspiration. Don't put too much pressure on yourself...
I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

On the women's side, I am going to pay attention a little bit this year, but just to pay attention to Serena. Serena is going to win the French Open, and you can take that to the bank. Nobody else has a chance. It is Serena's for the taking, and she will take it.

ouch

111 ranked Razzano takes down #5 Serena in the first round. Wish I'd had 100 bucks on that, not that I'd have made that bet.

On the women's side, I am going to pay attention a little bit this year, but just to pay attention to Serena. Serena is going to win the French Open, and you can take that to the bank. Nobody else has a chance. It is Serena's for the taking, and she will take it.

I was a bit off on this prognostication.

111 ranked Razzano takes down #5 Serena in the first round. Wish I'd had 100 bucks on that, not that I'd have made that bet.

Taking the underdog in women's tennis is usually a pretty decent bet. The results are ridiculously erratic, and yet the favorites are still heavily favored.

A hundred bucks on Razzano would have earned you 4K.

If you like fighters, if you like great comeaback stories, if you like players with huge heart, you have to be in Brian Baker's corner for as long as he can last in this tournament. He is an inspiration. Nadal tweeted something like @Brian Baker - thank you for the inspiration. Don't put too much pressure on yourself...
I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

My brother saw Brian Baker play* yesterday and thinks he is the real deal. He thinks he'll take out Simon in the next round. I'm still skeptical. And plus Simon is playing really well right now.

*On television. Not live or anything.

Last edited:
Taking the underdog in women's tennis is usually a pretty decent bet. The results are ridiculously erratic, and yet the favorites are still heavily favored.

A hundred bucks on Razzano would have earned you 4K.

I've never bet on tennis. Do you do ok, Kid?

My brother saw Brian Baker play* yesterday and thinks he is the real deal. He thinks he'll take out Simon in the next round. I'm still skeptical. And plus Simon is playing really well right now.

*On television. Not live or anything.

I don't know if you watched the match yesterday with Malisse, but Baker looked pretty much dominant against the veteran. I think Simon and Baker match up pretty well. Should be a good one. Hopefully, we'll get to see a rematch of the 2003 juniors championship at the French with Wawrinka.

I've never bet on tennis. Do you do ok, Kid?

I never messed with it until a couple months ago. I basically just decided out of boredom one day to go in on a couple matches. I won them, and so I figured I'd experiment a little bit with it. It's a good way for me to bet on something without betting on NBA (which I suck at).

I've won more than I've lost thus far, but it's probably still too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions as of yet as to whether I have a knack for it. My initial observations are that underdogs are a better bet than favorites. I've been taking more favorites than underdogs, but I'm learning to be choosy with the favorites, and trying to focus more on finding the underdogs with the most value.

I never messed with it until a couple months ago. I basically just decided out of boredom one day to go in on a couple matches. I won them, and so I figured I'd experiment a little bit with it. It's a good way for me to bet on something without betting on NBA (which I suck at).

I've won more than I've lost thus far, but it's probably still too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions as of yet as to whether I have a knack for it. My initial observations are that underdogs are a better bet than favorites. I've been taking more favorites than underdogs, but I'm learning to be choosy with the favorites, and trying to focus more on finding the underdogs with the most value.

Sounds like a sound strategy. Good luck with it. :good!:

Apparently a jackson wouldn't have hurt

I don't do sports gambling, and even if I did, women's tennis would be pretty damn far down the list

I haven't been messing with the women. I don't really follow women's tennis, and I don't much enjoy betting on sports unless I have some reasonable idea of what's going on. I do follow men's tennis, so I felt comfortable taking a stab at it.

I don't know if you watched the match yesterday with Malisse, but Baker looked pretty much dominant against the veteran. I think Simon and Baker match up pretty well. Should be a good one. Hopefully, we'll get to see a rematch of the 2003 juniors championship at the French with Wawrinka.

No, I didn't get to see it. But that's the match my bro was referring to. He said Baker had a really nice all-court game.

Appreciate it.

So whatcha think about tomorrow's matchups? :)

At first glance, I don't see any surprises on tomorrow's slate, outside of Simon, and that one's a question mark. I don't question Baker's ability, I question his fitness. I see most of the seeds breezing.

Good job by Baker clawing his way back in this thing when Simon started out playing out of his head. Whatever happens in the fourth, he has my respect.

VN Store

Back