The (Unofficial) French Open Thread

Every chick in the WTA is frustrating. I only bet on the fellas.

Rafa won the first set tiebreak. He worked Almagro all over the court in the first set. Almagro will likely start to wear down a bit. What I'm saying is that in the absence of Rafa's knee snapping in half, I think I look good.

My heart sank for you at a couple of moments in the first. Almagro was playing like he's never played before (at least that I've seen).

My heart sank for you at a couple of moments in the first. Almagro was playing like he's never played before (at least that I've seen).

What, me worry?

Haha. Actually, I did a little. I was monitoring it on ESPN's courtcast at my desk, and I decided I needed to go down to the office gym, grab a stair climber, and watch it for real.

What, me worry?

Haha. Actually, I did a little. I was monitoring it on ESPN's courtcast at my desk, and I decided I needed to go down to the office gym, grab a stair climber, and watch it for real.

Nice. The office gym where I work is a staircase. If you walk up and down it enough, you can get in shape.

Kvitova vs Sharapova tomorrow. Should be a good match. Can't wait to see the Federer/Djokovich match on Friday. I'll have it going on the internet, regardless of what my boss thinks of it.

Vegas odds on semifinal matches:

Novak Djokovic-180
Roger Federer+150

David Ferrer+800
Rafael Nadal-1200

The Women's as well (just for kicks):

Stosur-225
Errani+185

Kvitova+190
Sharapova-240

Anybody think Kvitova wins the match?

Kvitova's serve left her for this match. It's a shame, because I thought she looked like the better player in the rallies.

Who ya got in the semis? Tough call on Djokovich and Fed. Nadal surely will get past Ferrer, IMO.

There's one of two possible outcomes to the Ferrer/Nadal semifinal. One, Nadal wins 7-5, 7-5, 6-2. Two, Nadal wins 6-2, 6-2, 6-0.

Ferrer usually plays Nadal really, really tough on clay, but has been able to win those very close first sets to carry some momentum and belief. If he could somehow get lucky and steal the first set, I give Ferrer a slim chance of pulling off a miracle. There's no other path to victory short of Nadal getting injured.

Djoker/Fed is basically a toss up. Both players have struggled this FO. Federer's serve has been way off. His second serve has been abysmal. Federer came alive against DelPo and if continues to play at that level he can win. But I have to give the edge to Djoker in no less than 4 tough, close sets. Most likely its going 5.

For me, semifinal day at any slam is one of the best sporting days of the year. I can't wait.

Just those two, huh? lol I like your assessment, D. Have you been like me, wondering when Fed was gonna wake the F up this tourney? Same w/ Djokovich, although I'm not a fan of him. I think they are going to test each other early and we'll see them both wake up and play a good match. After that, who knows..
I don't see much hope for Ferrer, but I'll give him this: The boy makes one hell of a good living, because he is there near the end at every tourney. Solid player, just not enough to get past Rafa.

Federer's slim chances to take home the FO title all rest on his ability to serve at a high level and percentage. Without that, he loses sets to players like Goffin. I think Federer will be keyed up and ready for Djoker and likewise Djoker will be ready. I look for both their levels to rise up to the occasion. But if Federer's serve is suffering, it will show up on the score board.

Things happen and Nadal hasn't played anyone yet in this tournament, but I think he is playing at a superb level nonetheless. Maybe Djoker could trouble him a little in the final, but I think barring injury Ralph will hold the title Sunday without too much sweat.

Weather in Paris is supposed to stink over the next few days. Maybe they'll be forced to move the semis and final to an indoor hardcourt.:wink2:

Was Goffin the lucky loser that he dropped a set to? I think you're right about Fed needing the high first serve percentage. I'm not so sure it happens against Djokovich, but who knows which Roger we'll get. Whether it's there or not, I don't see him getting past Rafa. Dude is just a beast right now.

Yelp, it's the only matchup that matters at this FO.

Nadal is completely fresh, but has played no one. Still seems to be playing out of his head.

Djoker is lucky that Federer decided to leave for Halle in the middle of the first set of their semi-final. He was lucky to get to the semi and lucky to get to the quarter. So, either he is in for an a-whoopin' from Ralph or he is destined by luck to win the French, hold all 4 slams at once, and finish out the career grand slam.

I say Nadal in 4. 6-4, 7-6, 5-7, 6-3. Hope i'm wrong.

was stuck out in the field picking ticks off me (and other dudes) for an FTX during almost the entire French Open. I know I'm the only that ever posts anything about the women's game, but I'm a little hurt no mention of Maria becoming just the tenth woman to attain the career grand slam. Congrats to her. Her shoulder looks to be as good as ever. It's definitely hindered her since the injury back in '08. Those forehand and backhand winners down the line could give a lot of the guys fits.

Gotta go w/ Nadal in the final. We'll see tomorrow. It won't be in three sets, either way.

Nadal is being a *****, imo. Does he have a right to complain...sure, but he looks like a sore loser complaining now. Just as it should have been called an hour ago, he should have started *****ing then.

Governor just issued a last second pardon to Ralph. Djokovic was getting ready to execute him in front of the French crowd -- just like in the olden days.

Never seen the entire momentum shift so suddenly in a championship match. Too bad it all gets reset by the weather.

I believe there is a small chance Nadal will start out nervous tomorrow giving Djokovic an opening and even more breathing room. In the more likely scenario, Nadal will break back right away and close out the match 7-5 in the 4th.

VN Store

Back