The (Unofficial) U.S. Open Thread

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
Qualies start tomorrow, so 'tis time for the thread to go up.

I'm too down about TGGRN* to do a proper preview. Anybody want to give it a go?

Okay, here is my best effort at a preview. The winner of the US Open will come from one of the following three:

1. Novak "is Wayne Brady gonna have to" Djokovic
2. Roger "Fedsmug" Federer**
3. Delpo***

Who ya got?

***Juan Martin Del Potro. You got a better nickname?

Three Vols are in qualies:

John-Patrick Smith
Singles: 225 (+3)
Doubles: 136 (+2)
Note: Off last week ... Career-best ranking in doubles ... Will play US Open qualifying for first time in his career starting Tuesday

Rhyne Williams
Singles: 283 (+6)
Doubles: 269 (+2)
Note: Off last week ... Received US Open qualifying wild card and will start Tuesday

Tennys Sandgren
Singles: 313 (+8)
Doubles: 231 (0)
Note: Off last week ... Received US Open qualifying wild card and will start Tuesday

Unbelievable, but US Open qualifying matches will be broadcast tomorrow (8/21) on CBS Sports Network beginning at 1 pm until 9 pm.

I just got this channel and have been watching classic US Open matches all night long. Connors-Krickstein from 1991 is on sometime in the morning.

On the 2012 USO, I'll wait on the draw before making my picks.

Obviously, either Federer or Djokovic will land Murray in his draw making it tough to beat Murray + Fed/Djoker on back-to-back days. Same for Murray to theoretically have to beat both Fed and Djoker on back-to-back days. Odds have to favor guy on other side of draw opposite Murray.

There is no player outside of the top 3 + Delpo that is a serious threat to win the USO in my estimation.

In closing, I've said it before, but there is nothing better than the blue hard courts in New York. Love it.

There is no player outside of the top 3 + Delpo that is a serious threat to win the USO in my estimation.

I humbly disagree. He beat Djoker on grass and he nearly beat Federer on grass. And hard courts are definitely his best surface.

I actually don't like Murray's chances in this tournament. I could see him randomly losing in the fourth round to somebody he should beat.

• Rhyne Williams won his first round match in qualies. He won't have to play anybody ranked as high as the guy he just beat to qualify. So that's nice, but it certainly doesn't guarantee anything.
  • Sandgren won the first set. On serve in the second.
  • JP Smith plays tomorrow.

Here is the qualifying draw. 16 make it in.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/qs/qsdraw.pdf

I humbly disagree. He beat Djoker on grass and he nearly beat Federer on grass. And hard courts are definitely his best surface.

I actually don't like Murray's chances in this tournament. I could see him randomly losing in the fourth round to somebody he should beat.

No, we agree. I just worded it poorly. I think the winner comes from Federer, Djoker, Delpo, Murray. But I also agree with the comment you made about Murray. Djoker seems distracted as well. Some say Djoker has personal issues at the moment but that's all I've heard.

No, we agree. I just worded it poorly. I think the winner comes from Federer, Djoker, Delpo, Murray. But I also agree with the comment you made about Murray. Djoker seems distracted as well. Some say Djoker has personal issues at the moment but that's all I've heard.

Something is definitely off with him. He appears fine physically, but he isn't dialed in like he was last year.

Question: why is it Nadal at his best will always always beat Federer; Djokovic at his best will always always beat Nadal. And Federer at his best will always always beat Djokovic. I need the "styles makes fights" analysis broken down for me. The thing that I don't understand is why Djokovic can never seem to dominate Fed. Djokovic's game is so well-rounded* that you would think that his best would dominate all comers. But then Fed always gives him fits. It doesn't make sense. He is equally good on both wings. Why would a guy who is great on his forehand but weaker on his backhand** have his number?

*And by this I mean he has no real weaknesses.

**And there can be no denying that Federer is, and has always has been, a guy with an otherworldly forehand and a backhand that is just good enough to not get completely picked apart.

Set #1 to Mr. Williams.

Mr. Sandgren is scheduled to take the court in about 10 minutes. Apparently he is going to be on that CBS sports channel Dyron mentioned earlier.

Don't be surprised if Williams wins the second set 6-1 in about 20 minutes. He seems to be a bit of a momentum player. Once he gets rolling, he really gets rolling.

6-2. I was close.

So Williams is one win away from playing in his first US Open.

Sandgren is on serve in the first set.

Last edited:
I just got to look over the draw and here are my initial observations:

(1) Rhyne Williams will play Andy Roddick in the first round. I am not sure if I am just a RW homer or if I just legitimately believe it, but I think Rhyno takes out Roddick.

(2) Federer potentially will play Fish in the 3rd round (?), Berdych in the quarters, Murray/Tsonga in the semis on Saturday, and Djokovic in the final on Sunday. Tough row to hoe. Federer is playing better than anyone at the moment, but that is a lot to ask.

(3) Rhyne Williams is in Djokovic's half of the draw. So is Del Potro. Ferrer and Isner also in this half.

(4) To me, this is Djokovic's to lose. If his head is in the right place, this is a very doable draw.

(5) Final: Djokovic d. Federer in five (6-3 in the 5th).**

**If some top seeds go down and the draw eases for Federer AND the Sunday final gets rained out again this year, I might give him a better shot in a Monday final.

If you went to tennis.com on Saturday morning, the first mug you saw on the main page was Rhyne Williams stroking a forehand. Pic was showcased with the top story on the main page re: USO qualifying.

I'll try to post it below.

Attachments

• Rhyno.jpg
    Rhyno.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
But in keeping with the spirit of what an “Open” tournament really is, the USTA started a national playoff in 2010, with players competing for one of the wild cards into the qualifying draw. Unlike golf’s U.S. Open, which requires most players to have a certain handicap to sign up for qualifying, all you need in tennis is to be at least 14, have the $108 entry fee and a way to get to one of the 13 cities where the opening rounds of the tournament are held every spring. Bode Miller has tried. Chris Evert tried to make it in mixed doubles last year.

This answers our question, Dyron.

Last edited:
I bet Novak hit that:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwhPfOPinjM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Murray is falling apart, down 3-1 in the second set. I would have figured Raonic would be the one to get him in the 3rd round, but Bogolomov is trying to give him the business...

Murray is falling apart, down 3-1 in the second set. I would have figured Raonic would be the one to get him in the 3rd round, but Bogolomov is trying to give him the business...

Looks like he pulled it back together pretty nicely.

Decent day for Americans:

James Blake won.
Jack Sock won.
Mardy Fish won.

Mardy was to be expected, but I thought Blake and Sock would be out in the first round. Real nice win for Sock against Florian Mayer.

Looks like he pulled it back together pretty nicely.

Woke up from a nap and realized I spoke to quick. In other news, Donald young is fixing to get his ass handed to him. Johnny Mac has had some interesting commentary about Young.

It was fun seeing Donald Young stay on serve w/ Roger for a bit, knowing how this would end...

VN Store

Back