The (Unofficial) U.S. Open Thread

If D. Young would get rid of his parents he might have a shot.

They do hold him back some, but the more I look at Donald, the less convinced I become that he's not just a 23 year old brat. May be less the parents and more the demons in his head.

If you have Brad Gilbert coach Young he becomes a top 50 player. Had a buddy at the last Challenger event in Knoxville told his mom the same thing. She wasn't appreciative...

If you have Brad Gilbert coach Young he becomes a top 50 player. Had a buddy at the last Challenger event in Knoxville told his mom the same thing. She wasn't appreciative...

I imagine she wouldn't be.

I totally agree with you, btw. I think he lacks the weapons to be a top 20 player, but he also has no real flaws in his game. I was really impressed when I saw him play live last summer, and of course surprised that his results weren't better based on what I was seeing with my own two eyes.

Give him a good coach, and he'll be a steady top 50 player who may occasionally dip down into the top 20. But probably no need to waste Brad Gilbert on him. We need Brad Gilbert for Rhyne Williams.

They do hold him back some, but the more I look at Donald, the less convinced I become that he's not just a 23 year old brat. May be less the parents and more the demons in his head.

I actually don't think he's a brat. I thought that until I saw his post match interview last summer after he took out Baghdatis. He seemed like a rather unassuming kid. Genuinely nice. Perhaps too nice? Maybe the type of kid that can get mentally shook up as a result of the conflict that his mom adds to the equation.

Which, again, leads me to believe that his mom is jut a huge impediment to his career development. If he had a stable, working relationship with a good coach -- and none of the accompanying drama -- I think we'd consistently see the type of results that we were starting to see last summer.

I think it's in Rhyne's favor that it's a day match. I'm pulling for an upset, but I don't know if he has the weapons yet.

Weapons aren't Rhyne's problem. He has a closet stocked with weapons.

I think he lacks on-court savvy. In other words, if you could give Ryan Harrison Rhyne William's groundstrokes and then in turn give Rhyne William's Ryan Harrison's point-construction savvy, both would be better off.

Anyway, props to Rhyne on his first appearance in the main draw. Probably was a bit nerve-wracking playing in Ashe Stadium. He'll be back.

I think Rhyne played very well but then got caught up in the moment at the end of the first set. He lost his focus for a couple of games in the 2nd and 3rd, but played well enough to have beaten Roddick today.

I wasn't impressed with Roddick whatsoever.

Rhyne will be back.

down goes Woz. Never as good as her one time #1 ranking, but she's completely imploded.

When Novak Djokovich went up to the box to do an interview w/ Brad and Hannah Storm, she asks him 'So, what do you think about Serena and how she's been playing?' WTF?? Who cares? Maybe ask him if he's gonna kick Silva's ass, then Benneteau. Why go there?

Sorry, but that idiot just gets on my nerves.

Last edited:
Pam Shriver is an embarassment to the profession that is tennis reporting/commentating. Her in-crowd interviews during the matches make me want to commit murder. It is completely disrespectful because she isn't even trying to speak low or only speak in between points. And you know the coaches she interviews are having panic attacks having to speak during play.

Greatest moment ever was when she was interviewing someone loudly a couple years ago during James Blake's match. He heard her and told her to shut up. So she knows there's a chance the players can hear her, but she does it anyway.

(1)
Pam Shriver is an embarassment to the profession that is tennis reporting/commentating. Her in-crowd interviews during the matches make me want to commit murder. It is completely disrespectful because she isn't even trying to speak low or only speak in between points. And you know the coaches she interviews are having panic attacks having to speak during play.

(2)
Greatest moment ever was when she was interviewing someone loudly a couple years ago during James Blake's match. He heard her and told her to shut up. So she knows there's a chance the players can hear her, but she does it anyway.

(1)
I'm not a fan either.

(2)
What happened is that she was actually talking about Blake saying he was washed up (or something along those lines), and she was doing it so loudly that Blake could hear her from the court. Could you imagine that? I would have called her a word that rhymes with runt.

When Novak Djokovich went up to the box to do an interview w/ Brad and Hannah Storm, she asks him 'So, what do you think about Serena and how she's been playing?' WTF?? Who cares? Maybe ask him if he's gonna kick Silva's ass, then Benneteau. Why go there?

Sorry, but that idiot just gets on my nerves.

I agree. I like Serena just fine, but you ask Serena about Serena. Or maybe you ask Venus about Serena. You don't ask Novak Djokovic after her just beat the living snot out of some guy in about 25 minutes. You ask him: "hey Novak, tell us about how you were able to so thoroughly beat the piss out of that guy?"

BTW, beating any professional tennis player who makes into the main draw of a Major 6-1, 6-0, 6-1 is an accomplishment.

Also, the kid that got a WC into the main draw by winning Kalamazoo is up two sets to one.

He won, btw. His name is Dennis Novikov. He just turned 18.

He's going to be playing for UCLA next year. Wish we would have gotten him.

If he ends up banging Skylar Morton I'm gonna be pissed. "I saw her at the Legg-Mason tournament last Summer, dude. Don't be encroaching on my crush."

Skylar Morton Profile - UCLA Official Athletic Site

For today:

Ferrer will beat Kevin Anderson

Brian Baker should advance

Whoever is announcing the Dmitrov match will refer to him as "baby fed" at least 6 times.

Dimitrov isn't even good enough to qualify as a homeless man's Roger Federer. I'm not sure of the proper term. A Haitian man's Roger Federer?

I like Xavier Malisse, but Isner should take out the crafty old guy in four.

Nalbandian withdrew, which gives Delpo a walkover to the second round. This should help him as I understand he's been having some trouble with his non-forehand wrist.

I have to root for Steve Johnson. I have a bet with my brother that Steve Johnson will hit the over on 9.5 wins in major tournaments over his entire career. It'd be nice to get one under my belt.

Harrison should have zero trouble with Benjamin Becker. Tennys Sandgren beat Becker something like 6-0, 6-2 in a recent challenger tournament.

I'd be very surprised if Bradley Klahn makes it out of the first round.

Murray should again roll.

Man, Ferrer got a favorable draw, didn't he? Bummer for Delpo that he is Novak's draw.

I think the semifinals will be:

Ferrer vs. Djokovic
Berdych vs. Tsonga

I think Djokovic will work Ferrer over without a great deal of difficulty. Tsonga will beat Berdych in four sets, and then Djokovic will beat Tsonga in four.

It should be noted that there is a distinct possibility that I don't actually believe Berdych and Tsonga will meet in the semis, but merely predicted it because a Fed vs. Murray prediction is boring. To the extent I may have granted myself these prognostication liberties, it's because I think Djokovic -- in either scenario, or any of various other scenarios -- will win the 2012 U.S. Open.

Yeah, Djokovic is definitely winning this tournament. Take out a loan and call your bookie ASAP.

I actually checked the schedule of play today to see when Nadal's match started. Man, so used to the guy wrecking havoc in the majors. Not the same.

Also read an interesting article about Delpo. He is down to his last four racquets because he so far has refused to change from the Wilson KFactor model that he won the USO with in 2009. Wilson no longer makes that model and these four are the last four he has. I think the article says his racquets are around six years old.

I played with the KFactor 95 for a couple years and they are so stiff they nearly tore my arm off at the elbow. Still suffer from tennis elbow to this day but I can't part with them. They are a sweet stick if you can handle them.

Man, Ferrer got a favorable draw, didn't he? Bummer for Delpo that he is Novak's draw.

Ferrer vs. Djokovic
Berdych vs. Tsonga

QUOTE]

Ferrer got a criminally favorable draw. If I recall, the next highest seed is Tipsaravic. That can't be right, but it is. Isner is in there as well. Ferrer is a hustler on the hardcourts, but he will have nothing for Djoker.

For some reason I'm thinking Berdych has struggled mightily as of late. He should be a monster on hardcourts, but he has the brain of a gravel. Always dangerous though in a slugfest.

For today:

Whoever is announcing the Dmitrov match will refer to him as "baby fed" at least 6 times.

Dimitrov isn't even good enough to qualify as a homeless man's Roger Federer. I'm not sure of the proper term. A Haitian man's Roger Federer?

Was Dimitrov the one tapping Serena Williams? Maybe I heard that rumor from you, but it is a definite rumor in the tennis world.

Ferrer vs. Djokovic
Berdych vs. Tsonga

QUOTE]

Ferrer got a criminally favorable draw. If I recall, the next highest seed is Tipsaravic. That can't be right, but it is. Isner is in there as well. Ferrer is a hustler on the hardcourts, but he will have nothing for Djoker.

For some reason I'm thinking Berdych has struggled mightily as of late. He should be a monster on hardcourts, but he has the brain of a gravel. Always dangerous though in a slugfest.

I think Berdych been playing quite well, lately. He should have won the final in Greensboro(?) against Isner last week.

That's pitiful. I didn't realize she'd been busted on it.

VN Store

Back