"They're out to get us!" The science behind conspiracy addicts, and a possible cure

How many candidates do you want on a ballot? If someone can't win a primary, why should they be in the general election?

More choices. Do you understand ranked choice balloting?

But it doesn't matter anyway, we no longer select the POTUS.

Reactions: AM64
Right now, the only realistic options are two people who are filtered through a party system. I think we would agree that we want the guy who best represents American voters, but our only two options are a guy who supposedly best represents Democrats and a guy who supposedly best represents Republicans. Not only does RCV give 3rd party people a chance, it gives Republicans who can't win a primary a chance. It gives Democrats who can't win a primary a chance.

For whatever reason my Mom loved Phil Graham, but he lost the party nomination and she held her nose for Bob Dole because he was the lesser of two evils. In ranked-choice voting, she can cast that vote for Graham and ultimately have her vote count for Dole if it comes down to that.

Ron Paul couldn't win the R primary but there was a time where he was polling better against Hillary Clinton than Romney was. This is 2008 and I'm relying on my memory, but the point is he was doing well against an establishment candidate in a national but getting crushed in the primary.

We'd be going from a system of voting for the lesser of two evils where people waste their votes to a system where no votes are wasted and mitigates the problem of the lesser of 2 evils.

The party of two evils will come together like long lost friends to swat down any attempt at a viable third party threat.

How many candidates do you want on a ballot? If someone can't win a primary, why should they be in the general election?

Because winning a party primary isn't a good requirement. In recent years it feels like if you can win a party primary, it's probably an indication that you shouldn't be president. It's a filter that helps to ensure we end up with an establishment POTUS and/or the lesser of two evils. In my lifetime there are really only 2 presidential candidates that people are generally proud to say they supported (Obama and Reagan). Literally, everybody else had a huge lesser of 2 evils component (HW, Dole, Gore, Romney, McCain, Trump, Hillary, Biden, Dukakis) and/or was a disappointment in office (Bill, W).

IDK how many should be on the ballot but it should be handled by signature requirements or $ like it is now. The way it was first presented to me was you could vote for up to 5 people.

Reactions: McDad
How does it work? Do you still have party primaries?

I don't see why they couldn't have primaries but I also think RC would open up the general election to independents and 3rd parties that met (YTBD) the requirements to be on the ballot.

How ranked-choice voting works

Broadly speaking, the ranked-choice voting process unfolds as follows for single-winner elections:

1. Voters rank the candidates for a given office by preference on their ballots.
  2. If a candidate wins an outright majority of first-preference votes (i.e., 50 percent plus one), he or she will be declared the winner.
  3. If, on the other hand, no candidates win an outright majority of first-preference votes, the candidate with the fewest first-preference votes is eliminated.
  4. All first-preference votes for the failed candidate are eliminated, lifting the second-preference choices indicated on those ballots.
  5. A new tally is conducted to determine whether any candidate has won an outright majority of the adjusted voters.
  6. The process is repeated until a candidate wins a majority of votes cast.

Ranked-choice voting (RCV) - Ballotpedia

I don't see why they couldn't have primaries but I also think RC would open up the general election to independents and 3rd parties that met (YTBD) the requirements to be on the ballot.
But the people @n_huffhines was talking about (Graham, Paul) would have still been eliminated.

How so? I just took a ChinaFlu test and it came up negative. I HAD the ChinaFlu and now have antibodies. Why do I have to wear a mask?
It's to show that you're an obedient shill to the party in control. Think of yourself as a puppy rolling over on his back and exposing his belly.

It's to show that you're an obedient shill to the party in control. Think of yourself as a puppy rolling over on his back and exposing his belly.
So in other words, Ras' post was not a stretch at all. I think anyone that thinks about the issue knows this. I just want to know what CWV has to say about it since he believes it was a stretch.

I was reading along until I saw

Then, of course, there’s the idea that the COVID-19 pandemic was created on purpose by Chinese scientists (not to be confused with the theory that the coronavirus accidentally escaped a lab in Wuhan).

And I laughed. There is little doubt actually that it was purposely created in a lab in Wuhan. What is unknown is whether or not it was released on purpose from that lab.

Then again, the press considered the whole made in China angle a conspiracy theory of crazy people until the weight of evidence was just too much for them to hide. Like Hunter's laptop. The truth is though, they knew it, they just lied about it because it served their political purpose.

It's not a hangup.
We obviously have to have regulations.
How much regulation will always be the focus of debate.
Who ultimately decides? Society.
Me walking around living a normal life is nowhere near the same as dumping in a watershed. You sound silly right now.

Reactions: hog88

Anarchy - it's the libertarian way. I can't see how ranked choice is going to make the selection choice any better. Besides, people running the elections have a hard enough time handling a simpler process. A "NO" vote in the mix where you could vote against rather than for one candidate could have a very positive effect if the parties started finding that their hand picked garbage candidates can't get elected. That could force them to put more acceptable candidates on the ballot. A much more positive outcome than voting for the lesser of two evils or a third party clown.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Anarchy - it's the libertarian way. I can't see how ranked choice is going to make the selection choice any better. Besides, people running the elections have a hard enough time handling a simpler process. A "NO" vote in the mix where you could vote against rather than for one candidate could have a very positive effect if the parties started finding that their hand picked garbage candidates can't get elected. That could force them to put more acceptable candidates on the ballot. A much more positive outcome than voting for the lesser of two evils or a third party clown.
I can see it's usefulness in a crowded primary field.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back