This Isn’t Working Out (Allen West Statement)

If you’re guaranteed a job you are guaranteed pay. Now the question becomes are employers required to hire people? Say I fire you because you as useless as tits on a boar does someone else HAVE to hire you?

So with everyone guaranteed a job making $16.50 an hour what do you think inflation will do?

You think $16.50 an hour is going to pay for a home in NYC, Chicago, LA ext?

no, you would have jobs programs that guarantee work if you need it. that is what companies like TVA were originally designed for. The economy would otherwise function as it does now, though ideally with the removal of right-to-work laws, the re-establishment of pension, and re-establishment of ubiquitous worker unions and collective bargaining

inflation would likely be lower since employment would be at or near 100%

I don’t think the point would be to have a minimum wage job and afford an NYC condo, but there would absolutely be affordable homes at that wage in every state, as I said, there is research that established that number.

How about umemployment benefits? Is their guaranteed wage scaled by family size?

Is a high school kid going to earn a “living wage” working the same fast food job as the 25 year old lady with two kids and no husband?

And Medicare for all? Did you read the cost estimates? That one item alone nearly doubles current tax receipts.

College is too expensive. Thanks .gov for making cheap loans available that can’t be dissolved by bankruptcy

You wouldn’t need unemployment benefits at all, jobs programs would replace that altogether. There is research on how they established the $16.50/hr standard of living wage, you are welcome to browse through it yourself if you‘d like:

Living Wage Calculator

Medicare for All would increase taxes, but then companies wouldn’t have to take it out of your paycheck so it would be a net win for us— medical costs overall would be cheaper because there would be no price gouging and you eliminate redundancy by having a single source

College is definitely currently too expensive, when I went to UT it was under $2000 per semester for in-state tuition, and that wasn’t even that long ago

no, you would have jobs programs that guarantee work if you need it. that is what companies like TVA were originally designed for. The economy would otherwise function as it does now, though ideally with the removal of right-to-work laws, the re-establishment of pension, and re-establishment of ubiquitous worker unions and collective bargaining

inflation would likely be lower since employment would be at or near 100%

I don’t think the point would be to have a minimum wage job and afford an NYC condo, but there would absolutely be affordable homes at that wage in every state, as I said, there is research that established that number.

So with the guaranteed job would all welfare and unemployment insurance be done away with?

Doing away with right to work laws would send almost ALL manufacturing oversees.

You’re still in school aren’t you? Or work for a government?

Reactions: AM64
So with the guaranteed job would all welfare and unemployment insurance be done away with?

Doing away with right to work laws would send almost ALL manufacturing oversees.

He said that he went to school not long ago.

You wouldn’t need unemployment benefits at all, jobs programs would replace that altogether. There is research on how they established the $16.50/hr standard of living wage, you are welcome to browse through it yourself if you‘d like:

Living Wage Calculator

Medicare for All would increase taxes, but then companies wouldn’t have to take it out of your paycheck so it would be a net win for us— medical costs overall would be cheaper because there would be no price gouging and you eliminate redundancy by having a single source

College is definitely currently too expensive, when I went to UT it was under $2000 per semester for in-state tuition, and that wasn’t even that long ago
Ok you are simply wrong on M4A. Go read the analysis. I’d rather keep my current healthcare costs than give that up and increase my taxes by 70%.

Seriously please go research the real costs on these programs. You really haven’t brought anything new and we across the aisle pretty much respond the same way. Not trying to be dismissive just trust me we fight/discuss this stuff all the time. Especially healthcare and guns. What’s it gonna cost and what do I have to give up. That’s what we always reply with. You haven’t sold me on anything other than college is too expensive, I agree, and we need to get private money out of political campaigns. Completely agree.

UT was like just a few hundred bucks tuition for the quarter tuition when I finished in ‘88. I see no reason why it has to be where it is now for a land grant college.

Yes... no welfare, no unemployment insurance

we can’t compete with overseas starvation wages even now, I don’t see how that’s actually relevant, we are already having to pivot to more specialized manufacturing whose workers are paid better anyways

I haven’t been in school for over a decade, and I don’t work in government

Living Wage Calculator

Mind if I ask what you studied at UT and what your profession is? I am an electrical engineer

Reality is I will probably always work in some capacity. I’m too much like my dad.
Screw both of you I’m gonna quit working for the man in 3 years and spend most of my days out in my bass boat, shooting sporting clays, or I’m gonna take golf up again. I used to be fairly decent before my life happened.

It is glorious to be a total worthless POS while not working. I love it!
I've had a productive day. Slept late, went to the beach, watched UT basketball game, got invited and went to my real estate guy's house for beer, Mexican cornbread, and chili, came back home to watch U.T. football, and turned down an invitation to go eat with a neighbor and wife renter from Michigan that I just met this week. I wish I could have joined them but football came first. Not enough hours in the day.

Screw both of you I’m gonna quit working for the man in 3 years and spend most of my days out in my bass boat, shooting sporting clays, or I’m gonna take golf up again. I used to be fairly decent before my life happened.
Won't the other fishermen be pissed if you are shooting clays off the bass boat?

I've had a productive day. Slept late, went to the beach, watched UT basketball game, got invited and went to my real estate guy's house for beer, Mexican cornbread, and chili, came back home to watch U.T. football, and turned down an invitation to go eat with a neighbor and wife renter from Michigan that I just met this week. I wish I could have joined them but football came first. Not enough hours in the day.
I think it's cool that you have a cool weather house, a warm weather house and a home base. I bought a motorhome for much of the same reasons, I like chasing the 70 degree weather.

Ok you are simply wrong on M4A. Go read the analysis. I’d rather keep my current healthcare costs than give that up and increase my taxes by 70%.

Seriously please go research the real costs on these programs. You really haven’t brought anything new and we across the aisle pretty much respond the same way. Not trying to be dismissive just trust me we fight/discuss this stuff all the time. Especially healthcare and guns. What’s it gonna cost and what do I have to give up. That’s what we always reply with. You haven’t sold me on anything other than college is too expensive, I agree, and we need to get private money out of political campaigns. Completely agree.

UT was like just a few hundred bucks tuition for the quarter tuition when I finished in ‘88. I see no reason why it has to be where it is now for a land grant college.

I understand your argument on M4A, but I have definitely done a good deal of research. I think a lot of what gets left out is that it’s a shifting of costs... people’s taxes would increase, but that would be offset by companies no longer having to fork out 10-15% of real wages on healthcare coverage, so you would have a huge raise in take home pay. we’re already getting a chunk of our take home pay taken out of our salary, why not just shift the cost to taxes, and then if over the long term the system is more efficient the cost for healthcare per person would decrease meaning it would actually be less expensive if you factor time into the equation

I understand your argument on M4A, but I have definitely done a good deal of research. I think a lot of what gets left out is that it’s a shifting of costs... people’s taxes would increase, but that would be offset by companies no longer having to fork out 10-15% of real wages on healthcare coverage, so you would have a huge raise in take home pay. we’re already getting a chunk of our take home pay taken out of our salary, why not just shift the cost to taxes, and then if over the long term the system is more efficient the cost for healthcare per person would decrease meaning it would actually be less expensive if you factor time into the equation
Again. I’ve researched it also the tax increase would dwarf the premium savings. Go look in the thread here I posted links to three non partisan think tank studies. It almost doubles the current tax receipts. It will never happen.

Also I’m going to point out the intangible cost which you almost never hear about. Our free market healthcare system provides nearly all the innovation on drug and procedure research. The rest of the world gets that literally for free. So those other programs you’re comparing to will cease to advance of our free market system ceases. Three of the top five drug research firms are based in the USA last I checked.

These are very real issues that are always ignored in these cherry picked comparative analyses.

Now if you don’t mind me asking what was your degree and what is your profession?

not at all. I studied Architecture, and I’m currently still a practicing architect
Ah ok cool. Great field. @LouderVol is also a young architect grad. I believe he is currently cranking thru his professional licensing exams. He sits across the aisle from you on several issues but might make for some common ground on discussions.

VN Store

Back