This offense is going to shock SEC teams

VOLorNuttin

We've all been somewhat mentally conditioned by now to expect failure, by suffering through a season with Kiffin (using Fulmer's decimated roster), and then Dooley, who never had the credentials to be a Head Coach at any D1 program, let alone a traditionally powerful SEC program.

However, in the mean time, we have recruited very well...considering all the strife and turmoil. Coach Jones DOES NOT have to do a ton of rebuilding here. He has far more talent across the board than what he had to work with at Cincinnati, and more than enough to compete week to week in the SEC.

But what will catch everyone by surprise, I firmly believe, is this brutally faced paced offense. I think it has more to do with Chip Kelly's success than anything else. He hasn't even come close to out-recruiting USC, but he's beaten them regularly the past 5yrs or so.

Raw talent doesn't mean a lot if they are trying to catch their breath while the ball is being snapped. This is why Saban was one of those who somewhat protested the fast paced offenses at the SEC media days. It's no wonder the one team he played last year that ran an up-tempo offense, was the one that beat them.

Sure Johnny Football is good and all (even though....just like our QB's...nobody had heard of him before the mid way point of last season), but Bama had more talent across the board than TAM. Sure it takes a good OL...we have one.

One main reason we struggled against Nebraska in our bowl games years ago, was because we were not used to defending their option attack. They were used to our standard pro-style offense. So, this put us at a disadvantage.

I'd be willing to bet that part of the reason these fast paced offenses came about was to mitigate the talent advantage (other teams have over them) with tempo and schematic challenges defenses face when they can barely get lined up, before the ball is snapped.

I was watching a little bit of the Eagles/Jaguars replay last night and toward the end of the game, the Eagles looked like an offensive Juggernaut when they went full uptempo. It was a breakneck pace....just like Coach Jones likes to run.

Here is a new article at NFL.com explaining the advantages of this type of offense and why more NFL teams are looking into it.

Patriots, Eagles among NFL teams picking up pace on offense - NFL.com

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
But what will catch everyone by surprise, I firmly believe, is this brutally faced paced offense. I think it has more to do with Chip Kelly's success than anything else. He hasn't even come close to out-recruiting USC, but he's beaten them regularly the past 5yrs or so.

I haven't watched any of UT's practices or anything, so I'm sure you know more about this than me. But what makes you think UT is going to be running a "brutally fast paced offense"?

In 2012, Cincinnati ranked 105th out of 124 teams in number of plays run per game.

In 2011 the Bearcats ranked 75th.

In 2010 they were 33rd.

Jones' teams have only been ranked in the Top 20 in plays per game twice. Those two years were his first two years at CMU.

Reactions: 1 person
I say, "Run Rajion run!!!"
Barring injury, I believe this offense will make both Rajon and Lane look like premiere SEC backs. After watching some of the Bearcats games from last year, I think it's safe to say that it will be more of a 60/40 split in run vs pass.

Offensive lineman typically like to run block more than pass blocking. Why? Because it's more straight forward for them. A lot less thinking and more physically pounding their opponent.

Maybe shock some folks with a dual QB but they are not starting. Worley has been through the war with past marginal teams. Six wins and I'm happy.

But what makes you think UT is going to be running a "brutally fast paced offense"?

Because Butch said that is what we will be running. We are not going to be playing the way we did last year which was line up fast and then take 20 seconds to call a play. It will be a very fast paced rush up to the line and snap the ball.

Also, plays per game doesn't necessarily equate to pace of the offense. You can run the same amount of plays but have more plays that go for big yardage which negates the total number of plays you would have in a drive.

Reactions: 3 people
I haven't watched any of UT's practices or anything, so I'm sure you know more about this than me. But what makes you think UT is going to be running a "brutally fast paced offense"?

In 2012, Cincinnati ranked 105th out of 124 teams in number of plays run per game.

In 2010 they were 33rd.

Jones' teams have only been ranked in the Top 20 in plays per game twice. Those two years were his first two years at CMU.

When it only takes a few plays to score a TD, you run less plays...

Reactions: 20 people

In 2010 they were 33rd.

It will be a lot more than what we have been running. Even with a no huddle last year, we were not a face-paced offense. Chaney was simply taking the extra seconds to survey the defensive alignment and signal in the call to the QB.

In this offense, the team hustles to get lined up immediately after the whistle blows a play dead....and there is an emphasis to get the ball snapped as quickly as possible once lined up. What I saw from Cincinnati footage last year, bared this out. Very fast pace, and practically no SEC teams are used to it. Maybe Auburn, who runs something similar.

Barring injury, I believe this offense will make both Rajon and Lane look like premiere SEC backs. After watching some of the Bearcats games from last year, I think it's safe to say that it will be more of a 60/40 split in run vs pass.

Offensive lineman typically like to run block more than pass blocking. Why? Because it's more straight forward for them. A lot less thinking and more physically pounding their opponent.

Which our OL isn't as good at. Their strength over the last couple of seasons appears to be pass blocking. So we'll see how how offense looks in a more run oriented offense.

When it only takes a few plays to score a TD, you run less plays...

Oregon runs a ton of plays, and scores a lot of points.

Plus, Jones' teams have generally averaged in the 30s in scoring offense. Nothing to scoff at, but not exactly world changing.

Because Butch said that is what we will be running. We are not going to be playing the way we did last year which was line up fast and then take 20 seconds to call a play. It will be a very fast paced rush up to the line and snap the ball.

Also, plays per game doesn't necessarily equate to pace of the offense. You can run the same amount of plays but have more plays that go for big yardage which negates the total number of plays you would have in a drive.
Exactly. Coach Jones talked about this before, when someone asked the same question. He can throttle it back as needed, if he feels he needs to protect/rest his defense (if the offense has back to back 3 and outs, for example), or toward the end of the game, if they want to kill the clock some.

When you have a defense on it's heels, you are naturally going to have more explosive plays, and thus fewer offensive snaps in that series.

In this offense, the team hustles to get lined up immediately after the whistle blows a play dead....and there is an emphasis to get the ball snapped as quickly as possible once lined up. What I saw from Cincinnati footage last year, bared this out. Very fast pace, and practically no SEC teams are used to it. Maybe Auburn, who runs something similar.

What Cincy game did you see this in? I'm by no means an expert, but Cincy only ran 67.5 plays per game. That's only 1.2 plays per game more than Alabama, and Bama was rarely ever in a hurry-up kind of mode.

Which our OL isn't as good at. Their strength over the last couple of seasons appears to be pass blocking. So we'll see how how offense looks in a more run oriented offense.
That may be true, but you can bet the emphasis this whole offseason has been run blocking.

What Cincy game did you see this in? I'm by no means an expert, but Cincy only ran 67.5 plays per game. That's only 1.2 plays per game more than Alabama, and Bama was rarely ever in a hurry-up kind of mode.
You can watch the Cincinnati and Louisville game on youtube, I believe.

4 or 5 RBs will come in handy to keep the legs fresh and quick. I know we have at least 3 and Tom Smith seems to be finding his grove as well...Pickett eligible?

Same for WRs, sprint down the field, rotate, new WR sprints down the field, DBs puke and cramp!

Our O-line 2nd stringers are talented too, so they can help rest the starters.

Not sure why I see so many comparison to our new faster pace and Oregon. Jones is speeding things up but they aren't moving at Oregon pace. Also, we don't have the speed at RB or QB that Oregon relies on.

VN Store

Back