This offense is going to shock SEC teams

Rajon Neal ran a sub 4.4/40 and he's considerably bigger than Oregon's RB's in the past...so, please explain the speed angle, again?

Here is an interesting comparison. I used Rivals figures, where possible.

The starting three RBs for Oregon are:
  • De'Anthony Thomas (4.41) *****
  • Byron Marshall (4.38)****
  • Thomas Tyner (4.38)****
That is an average 40 yard dash speed of 4.39.

The starting three for UT are:
  • Marlin Lane (4.48)****
  • Rajion Neal (4.44)****
  • Tom Smith (4.5)***
That is an average 40 yard dash speed of 4.47

This means that our defensive players have been practicing against running backs who are, as a group, .08 seconds per 40 yards slower than Oregon's. IF my math is correct (I am doing all of this in my head) it means that if our groups of RBs were racing the length of the football field, their running backs would arrive at the opposite end zone roughly 5.5 feet ahead of ours. If that is the case, our defensive players have been playing against speed that is relatively similar to what they will see at Oregon.

Last edited:
Here's a thought. The best offense scores more than the other team you are playing. This means the defense also has a part! Really don't care about stats, just W's & L's!

It's a world renowned problem everyone has been trying to solve.

:crazy:

Tennesseeduke

First, the poster doesn't give a single reason why we will "shock" the SEC!
Second, I'll be very surprised if we run a true hurry-up offense--and even more surprised if it works. You need to have a //good// QB and some /good/ playmakers to run an effective fast-paced offense. You need to be fairly confident in your ability to make first downs. Do we have any of this? No! Worley is inexperienced and not mobile, and our WRs are inexperienced. You don't want to hurry your way through a bunch of three and outs, putting even more pressure on our defense. I don't see us having the experience/talent to run a fast-paced offense, but like all Vol fans I'll be most interested to see what we do. We have to be able to complete some passes if we hope to move the ball successfully against good teams.

So you're saying, we dont have the talent at the UT that compares to what Jones had at Cincy? Hard to believe. And, you're saying they can't grasp his system right?

Reactions: 1 person
You are way off base here. Just because one offense runs really quickly does not mean they will lead in plays run. 2 years ago when Oregon was scoring every 1:45 for the entire year, Oregon ranked 33rd in plays run. They were going faster than everyone else easily. The fast paced offense is not designed to run more plays, it is designed to get the defense tired, doesn't let them get set, and keeps them from substituting. Oregons talent (offensive line and QB)was so much better 2 years ago and once the defense missed a step they kept breaking off huge plays.

More plays is a by-product of fast offenses not the strategy. If we hurry up all game we might get an extra drive at the end. But if we play alabubba who will run down hill and eat up clock all day, then it doesn't matter how fast our offense is. We will only get a few plays in. The fast pace offense gives a statistical advantage to the offense. How many times can a team do nothing all game, but then at the end of the half or game easily orchestrate a 2 minute drive? U know you've seen it and said, "why don't they just do that the whole game?" Well, now they do

Lots of truth here! Can't believe it didn't get more likes, great explanation. I guess bama troll missed this one or ignored it.

What Cincy game did you see this in? I'm by no means an expert, but Cincy only ran 67.5 plays per game. That's only 1.2 plays per game more than Alabama, and Bama was rarely ever in a hurry-up kind of mode.

What this comparison lacks is intangibles. How many long runs/cooper bombs did bama have...and Cincy. What was the turnover ratios of said teams, level of competition relative to each teams talent, etc. Did bama have more home games because they could? Oh and what type/how good were the defenses that each team played?

In other words, it is not always an apples to apples comparision.

• Marlin Lane (4.48)****
  • Rajion Neal (4.44)****
  • Tom Smith (4.5)***

This means that our defensive players have been practicing against running backs who are, as a group, .08 seconds per 40 yards slower than Oregon's. IF my math is correct (I am doing all of this in my head) it means that if our groups of RBs were racing the length of the football field, their running backs would arrive at the opposite end zone roughly 5.5 feet ahead of ours. If that is the case, our defensive players have been playing against speed that is relatively similar to what they will see at Oregon.

at some point, i believe you have to trust your eyes and observe what you see taking place on the field.

i don't know what cordarelle patterson's 40 time is. i don't know what his 40 time was relative to the other people on the field in the games he participated in last season. what i do know, is take whatever results those are, strike a match and light them on fire. they are worthless.

patterson was noticeably faster than anyone trying to cover him or tackle him last year. he was able to beat coverage on anyone trying to cover him and if he had room to manuever, he was going to make someone or a bunch of someones miss a tackle.

same goes for the oregon running backs.

the tennessee backfield (don't care about their 40 times) are not that level of fast. they are not close.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Maybe shock some folks with a dual QB but they are not starting. Worley has been through the war with past marginal teams. Six wins and I'm happy.

Then you would have loved 15 out of 17 of the Fulmer years (8-4 or better except for 05 & 08).

What Cincy game did you see this in? I'm by no means an expert, but Cincy only ran 67.5 plays per game. That's only 1.2 plays per game more than Alabama, and Bama was rarely ever in a hurry-up kind of mode.
Bogus comparison. Cincinnati's defense gave up a lot more than Bama's. UA had a time of possession edge vs. Cincinnati's opponents having the edge. Jones' team ran a play about every 25 seconds, vs. Bama running a play every 30 seconds. And that doesn't count that both teams would have several plays where the clock did not run between plays, so the actual pace of what Cincy did vs. Alabama was much faster.

Lots of truth here! Can't believe it didn't get more likes, great explanation. I guess bama troll missed this one or ignored it.

I responded to a very similar point right after that and didn't think it was necessary to post the same answer twice. But since you want my input:

It is true that the number of plays run does not automatically equate to the speed of play if a team is scoring very quickly. To his point about '11 Oregon, while they were ranked 33rd in plays per game, but ranked in the Top 10 in plays during the first 3 quarters. Because they were the 3rd highest scoring offense in the country, they typically slowed down in the 4th after developing a massive lead.

'12 Cincinnati produced an even more glaring disparity betweeen their ranking in number of plays run (#105) and scoring offense (#39). Some of that is attributable to the same factor as '11 Oregon: Cincy had a big lead late in a few games. But what also adds to Cincy's low number of plays were turnovers (they ranked 54th and had six turnovers in one game alone), and three-and-outs (ranked 60th).

Point being, no team that is running a flat-out hurry up offense is going to wind up ranked 105th in plays per game.

Bogus comparison. Cincinnati's defense gave up a lot more than Bama's. UA had a time of possession edge vs. Cincinnati's opponents having the edge. Jones' team ran a play about every 25 seconds, vs. Bama running a play every 30 seconds. And that doesn't count that both teams would have several plays where the clock did not run between plays, so the actual pace of what Cincy did vs. Alabama was much faster.

Didn't Oregon run a play every 17 seconds or so? I think Okie St was around 18.

Reactions: 1 person
I was at 6 of the 7 games during UT's streak. Stuff happens.

aren't you glad CPF is gone ? I'm not all that impressed with the so called hurry up offense,I'm a believer in seeing what Johnny football will do against Bama this year,I would put money on Bama beating Johnny ball,if i had any :)

I will say Kiffin's one year was exciting. We beat the doors off S.Car and Ga and had Ala beat if we had a kicker. Outside of the UCLA debacle the teams we lost to were spread offenses that Daddy Kiffin had never seen and had no clue how to stop. Ole Miss, AU,FL and Clemson or VTech, cant remember which one it was. But got smoked in all those spread offense games.

Patriots, Eagles among NFL teams picking up pace on offense - NFL.com

Ask the Patriots how that offense worked out on the Ravens in the playoffs after they dumped 40 on the Texans. NFL is a different beast. Ravens shut that fast paced offense down by constantly pressuring the quarterback. Hopefully that's what Tennessee can do to Oregon. If we can push their offensive line back into the quarterback and have our linebackers stop the edges. We will have a chance to keep that offense off of the field.

I will say Kiffin's one year was exciting. We beat the doors off S.Car and Ga and had Ala beat if we had a kicker. Outside of the UCLA debacle the teams we lost to were spread offenses that Daddy Kiffin had never seen and had no clue how to stop. Ole Miss, AU,FL and Clemson or VTech, cant remember which one it was. But got smoked in all those spread offense games.

Ole Miss was the only game we got smoked in, iirc

• Marlin Lane (4.48)****
  • Rajion Neal (4.44)****
  • Tom Smith (4.5)***

Our defense has not practiced against average speed. They have seen individuals, some of which are slower than Oregon's rbs and some who replicate the speed we will see at Oregon.

Our 1st team d have seen reps that reproduce the speed we will see from Oregon.

Our defense has not practiced against average speed. They have seen individuals, some of which are slower than Oregon's rbs and some who replicate the speed we will see at Oregon.

I think I agree.
What I was saying was that all of this talk about Oregon's speed is a bit overblown. I have tried to illustrate 2 things consistently, 1) Oregon seems fast because they tend to play teams who have talent far below the teams UT will face, and 2) SEC offenses might be somewhat slower overall, but the difference between a 4.45 40 and a 4.35 40 isn't a big enough jump to think that it will blow the doors off of a defense who has worked with the former.

True but those Oregon backs are shifty

20081011034612!I_Want_to_Believe_UFO_poster.jpg

Go watch Zach Azzanni's and Willie Martinez new interview on YouTube. Those make me feel really nervous.

VN Store

Back