This offense is going to shock SEC teams

I would root for commies over Alabubba!!!! It is killing me to see all these high school kids wearing bama sh## and raised in Tennessee their whole life, in the boro anyway!!! They are the same idiots who cut holes in the bed of their trucks to run exhaust through there!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
As young as we are in a few critical positions, it might be really rough if we faced Oregon in the very first game. But it's not insignificant that we get a chance for a bit of sorting out and build-up prior to it. We'll see.

Reactions: 1 person
We've all been somewhat mentally conditioned by now to expect failure, by suffering through a season with Kiffin (using Fulmer's decimated roster), and then Dooley, who never had the credentials to be a Head Coach at any D1 program, let alone a traditionally powerful SEC program.

However, in the mean time, we have recruited very well...considering all the strife and turmoil. Coach Jones DOES NOT have to do a ton of rebuilding here. He has far more talent across the board than what he had to work with at Cincinnati, and more than enough to compete week to week in the SEC.

But what will catch everyone by surprise, I firmly believe, is this brutally faced paced offense. I think it has more to do with Chip Kelly's success than anything else. He hasn't even come close to out-recruiting USC, but he's beaten them regularly the past 5yrs or so.

Raw talent doesn't mean a lot if they are trying to catch their breath while the ball is being snapped. This is why Saban was one of those who somewhat protested the fast paced offenses at the SEC media days. It's no wonder the one team he played last year that ran an up-tempo offense, was the one that beat them.

Sure Johnny Football is good and all (even though....just like our QB's...nobody had heard of him before the mid way point of last season), but Bama had more talent across the board than TAM. Sure it takes a good OL...we have one.

One main reason we struggled against Nebraska in our bowl games years ago, was because we were not used to defending their option attack. They were used to our standard pro-style offense. So, this put us at a disadvantage.

I'd be willing to bet that part of the reason these fast paced offenses came about was to mitigate the talent advantage (other teams have over them) with tempo and schematic challenges defenses face when they can barely get lined up, before the ball is snapped.

I was watching a little bit of the Eagles/Jaguars replay last night and toward the end of the game, the Eagles looked like an offensive Juggernaut when they went full uptempo. It was a breakneck pace....just like Coach Jones likes to run.

Here is a new article at NFL.com explaining the advantages of this type of offense and why more NFL teams are looking into it.

Patriots, Eagles among NFL teams picking up pace on offense - NFL.com

About 95% incorrect.

Reactions: 3 people
Hey bamawriter....I apologize if any VOL fans are posting on bama forums. Who gives a damn about Alabama football except Alabama fans. Why do you care to get on here and go back and forth with us. We are not even relevant right now. It'll get back to the ole days...you just wait and see. I'm sure you remember those annual ass kickings...unless you jumped on this huge championship band wagon. I can tell you this ....Tennessee is tired of getting our asses kicked!
Heck yes, get em bo!! Brick by brick, Vol by Vol, the bammer inbreds know it is just a matter of time. They are just so blinded by their recent successes that they hate to acknowledge it. The Sleeping Giant that is Big Orange Nation will be awakened once again!!

Reactions: 2 people
I agree recurting has a lot to do with having a winning program. But u also have to coach the players up as well. If CJ coaches as good as he recruits we will be in good shape in 2 to 3 yrs we just have to give him time. But I also think we will be a a lot better coached team this yr Dooley wasant ready to be a coach in the sec and it showed big time. GO VOLS!

Those are some strong words there Nuttin... I'm not so sure this offense
Gonna Shock the SEC

We've all been somewhat mentally conditioned by now to expect failure, by suffering through a season with Kiffin (using Fulmer's decimated roster), and then Dooley, who never had the credentials to be a Head Coach at any D1 program, let alone a traditionally powerful SEC program.

I know it's beside the point, but why do people take this view of Kiffin and Dooley? They were both terrible in different and unique ways. Neither of them has had much success as a HC at any other team either. Why does Kiffin get a pass even after sucking with the raiders and running USC into the ground? That team he inherited from Fulmer was way more talented than the 6-7 record he led them to.

I'm not saying Dooley was anything but terrible, but Kiffin was equally as bad and he was even cheating. I mean it's one thing to play it straight and just not be good. It's a whole different story to cheat and still be pitiful.

Reactions: 3 people
I haven't watched any of UT's practices or anything, so I'm sure you know more about this than me. But what makes you think UT is going to be running a "brutally fast paced offense"?

In 2012, Cincinnati ranked 105th out of 124 teams in number of plays run per game.

In 2011 the Bearcats ranked 75th.

In 2010 they were 33rd.

Jones' teams have only been ranked in the Top 20 in plays per game twice. Those two years were his first two years at CMU.

Tiny Richardson said today that the offense wants to hit 90 plays a game. Those numbers you posted dont tell the whole story. When a fast place team gets a decent lead , they tone it down and play ball control .

I personally think this years offense is gonna really struggle, at least until November. Worley and the WR's need to prove me wrong on that. GBO!

What Cincy game did you see this in? I'm by no means an expert, but Cincy only ran 67.5 plays per game. That's only 1.2 plays per game more than Alabama, and Bama was rarely ever in a hurry-up kind of mode.

Go enjoy your NCs and quit busting his bubble.

Cincy only ran 69 offensive plays in that game. And that's with an overtime thrown in. Maybe it seems like more live.

It is a Chuck Norris kind of thing. CBJ's O is so fast it defies timing with conventional instruments.

It is a Chuck Norris kind of thing. CBJ's O is so fast it defies timing with conventional instruments.
The article tries to make the case that it's done to increase the number of plays....but that is not why Butch says he runs it. It is done to add pressure to opposing defenses and be so well conditioned that when the opposing defenses are sucking wind and puking in the 3rd and 4th qtrs, we're handling it (the pace) just fine.

Tiny Richardson said today that the offense wants to hit 90 plays a game. Those numbers you posted dont tell the whole story. When a fast place team gets a decent lead , they tone it down and play ball control .

Fast place? I just hope we aren't last place

However, in the mean time, we have recruited very well...considering all the strife and turmoil. Coach Jones DOES NOT have to do a ton of rebuilding here. He has far more talent across the board than what he had to work with at Cincinnati, and more than enough to compete week to week in the SEC.

But what will catch everyone by surprise, I firmly believe, is this brutally faced paced offense. I think it has more to do with Chip Kelly's success than anything else. He hasn't even come close to out-recruiting USC, but he's beaten them regularly the past 5yrs or so.

Raw talent doesn't mean a lot if they are trying to catch their breath while the ball is being snapped. This is why Saban was one of those who somewhat protested the fast paced offenses at the SEC media days. It's no wonder the one team he played last year that ran an up-tempo offense, was the one that beat them.

Sure Johnny Football is good and all (even though....just like our QB's...nobody had heard of him before the mid way point of last season), but Bama had more talent across the board than TAM. Sure it takes a good OL...we have one.

One main reason we struggled against Nebraska in our bowl games years ago, was because we were not used to defending their option attack. They were used to our standard pro-style offense. So, this put us at a disadvantage.

I'd be willing to bet that part of the reason these fast paced offenses came about was to mitigate the talent advantage (other teams have over them) with tempo and schematic challenges defenses face when they can barely get lined up, before the ball is snapped.

I was watching a little bit of the Eagles/Jaguars replay last night and toward the end of the game, the Eagles looked like an offensive Juggernaut when they went full uptempo. It was a breakneck pace....just like Coach Jones likes to run.

Here is a new article at NFL.com explaining the advantages of this type of offense and why more NFL teams are looking into it.

Patriots, Eagles among NFL teams picking up pace on offense - NFL.com

I think you are vastly over estimating Tennessee's offense. Yes they have some great offensive linemen however those linemen have not shown a killer instinct when it comes to run blocking. They have not been able to pick up a first down by running the ball in 3rd and short situations. According to the media guys, Tennessee has still had difficulty getting these tough yards in fall camp.

Tennessee also lacks any experience at the receiver position and very little experience at the QB position. These three factors do not yield anything to "shock" SEC defenses.

Oh well...was looking forward to watching this season...but since everything's decided....
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Gotcha, brother....But since Alabama and Florida "experts" on this board have made that determination that the Vols will be nothing again, we should just forfeit the season and start planning for '14......Simple, simple, simple.....

The main reason we had problems against Nebraska was SIZE.....but I hope your conclusions are correct...but we have to wait and see

Bartender, I'll have what the OP is having.

AND

Bamawriter, how dare you bring your fancy-smancy statistics into this orange colored look at the future!

That being said, buck fama

First, the poster doesn't give a single reason why we will "shock" the SEC!
Second, I'll be very surprised if we run a true hurry-up offense--and even more surprised if it works. You need to have a //good// QB and some /good/ playmakers to run an effective fast-paced offense. You need to be fairly confident in your ability to make first downs. Do we have any of this? No! Worley is inexperienced and not mobile, and our WRs are inexperienced. You don't want to hurry your way through a bunch of three and outs, putting even more pressure on our defense. I don't see us having the experience/talent to run a fast-paced offense, but like all Vol fans I'll be most interested to see what we do. We have to be able to complete some passes if we hope to move the ball successfully against good teams.

Most of you should just hide and watch then! Take the Woe is Me somewhere else! I do believe we shock 1, and I do mean 1 team this year. I am convinced we play w heart all year! all though it will be just once, and a game no one saw coming. A bowl game is in our future regardless!

GBO!
:whistling:

Folks, Western Kentucky has a Phil Steele All-American senior running back who had 3,161 all purpose yards in 2012, just 89 yards short of 1988 Heisman trophy winner Barry Sander's NCAA record. They also have an All-American linebacker for balance. The competition improves next week.

VN Store

Back