This offense is going to shock SEC teams

99 what do you say the vols record is this year? I say 5-7 or 6-6

6-6 or 7-5 before the bowl game.

i think there will be plenty of things to be excited about during and after the season.

i don't think there will be much shock and awe though.

injuries can also be a factor.

injuries are already starting to change things in gainesville

I haven't watched any of UT's practices or anything, so I'm sure you know more about this than me. But what makes you think UT is going to be running a "brutally fast paced offense"?

In 2012, Cincinnati ranked 105th out of 124 teams in number of plays run per game.

In 2011 the Bearcats ranked 75th.

In 2010 they were 33rd.

Jones' teams have only been ranked in the Top 20 in plays per game twice. Those two years were his first two years at CMU.

You are way off base here. Just because one offense runs really quickly does not mean they will lead in plays run. 2 years ago when Oregon was scoring every 1:45 for the entire year, Oregon ranked 33rd in plays run. They were going faster than everyone else easily. The fast paced offense is not designed to run more plays, it is designed to get the defense tired, doesn't let them get set, and keeps them from substituting. Oregons talent (offensive line and QB)was so much better 2 years ago and once the defense missed a step they kept breaking off huge plays.

More plays is a by-product of fast offenses not the strategy. If we hurry up all game we might get an extra drive at the end. But if we play alabubba who will run down hill and eat up clock all day, then it doesn't matter how fast our offense is. We will only get a few plays in. The fast pace offense gives a statistical advantage to the offense. How many times can a team do nothing all game, but then at the end of the half or game easily orchestrate a 2 minute drive? U know you've seen it and said, "why don't they just do that the whole game?" Well, now they do

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure why I see so many comparison to our new faster pace and Oregon. Jones is speeding things up but they aren't moving at Oregon pace. Also, we don't have the speed at RB or QB that Oregon relies on.
Rajon Neal ran a sub 4.4/40 and he's considerably bigger than Oregon's RB's in the past...so, please explain the speed angle, again?

Rajon Neal ran a sub 4.4/40 and he's considerably bigger than Oregon's RB's in the past...so, please explain the speed angle, again?

You've not watched football for the past few years if you think Neal has the speed the Oregon backs of late have had. Addittionally, the times I saw a hole the size you could drive a Mack truck thru opened up for him last year, only to see him get tackled 5 yards into the run, are too numerous to count.

Reactions: 2 people
I like the optimism, but I do not see us fielding a lightning fast offense at this point. Maybe as the season goes on we become a finely tuned and cohesive machine, but I just do not expect that initially.

I haven't watched any of UT's practices or anything, so I'm sure you know more about this than me. But what makes you think UT is going to be running a "brutally fast paced offense"?

In 2012, Cincinnati ranked 105th out of 124 teams in number of plays run per game.

In 2011 the Bearcats ranked 75th.

In 2010 they were 33rd.

Jones' teams have only been ranked in the Top 20 in plays per game twice. Those two years were his first two years at CMU.

It's not a stretch to argue that his offense was more efficient thus lowering the total amount of plays run. What I would be curious to know is what the ptspg and ypg was during that span, if it remained roughly average over even slightly higher it stands to reason that his system breeds efficiency. I don't have these numbers, so I can't say, but he did build a reputation as an offensive guru with a fast paced offense.

Reactions: 1 person
It's not a stretch to argue that his offense was more efficient thus lowering the total amount of plays run. What I would be curious to know is what the ptspg and ypg was during that span, if it remained roughly average over even slightly higher it stands to reason that his system breeds efficiency. I don't have these numbers, so I can't say, but he did build a reputation as an offensive guru with a fast paced offense.

His offenses at Cincinnati averaged in the 30s all three seasons in PPG.

Looking at the stats, it would seem like Cincy slowed down each year while keeping their scoring level.

His offenses at Cincinnati averaged in the 30s all three seasons in PPG.

Looking at the stats, it would seem like Cincy slowed down each year while keeping their scoring level.

Hey bamawriter....I apologize if any VOL fans are posting on bama forums. Who gives a damn about Alabama football except Alabama fans. Why do you care to get on here and go back and forth with us. We are not even relevant right now. It'll get back to the ole days...you just wait and see. I'm sure you remember those annual ass kickings...unless you jumped on this huge championship band wagon. I can tell you this ....Tennessee is tired of getting our asses kicked!

Reactions: 3 people
Hey bamawriter....I apologize if any VOL fans are posting on bama forums. Who gives a damn about Alabama football except Alabama fans. Why do you care to get on here and go back and forth with us. We are not even relevant right now. It'll get back to the ole days...you just wait and see. I'm sure you remember those annual ass kickings...unless you jumped on this huge championship band wagon. I can tell you this ....Tennessee is tired of getting our asses kicked!

Dude. U honestly think he was a fan when they would get whooped? If he was he wouldn't be on here beating his chest trying to be a big shot. Just a troll loser that wants to feel like the big man

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back