Those calling for an upset in Orgeon

i'm not trying to run down anybody or anything. i'm calling something for what it is. the lack of team speed has been noticeable for awhile.
So you noticed that too? :ninja:

How did the sunshine pumpers miss that? Sun in their eyes? No clue what they are looking at? Watching the cheerleaders? :boobies:

Brain damage? :good!:

So you noticed that too? :ninja:

How did the sunshine pumpers miss that? Sun in their eyes? No clue what they are looking at? Watching the cheerleaders? :boobies:

Brain damage? :good!:

So because we don't have the muzzle pushed against our temple...we're Sunshine Pumpers?...Don't get strung out because Marsalis was clocked at 4'7...clears the mystery of why he sucked so bad...but you might be shocked at the number of db starters in major programs that clock at 4'6 or slower...that's why there's so much shock at the combine EVERY YEAR
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Oregon whooped our ass a couple years back and they're going to do it again

They did whoop our tail
but prior to the rain delay we were hanging in there with them.
Then during the rain delay Coach A got film of UT's defense and made adjustments then kicked some tail, Coach B fixed his hair blamed the players for the heavy downpour and got his head kicked in.
Coach A is EARNING a bunch of money now. Coach B is living in Dez Bryants spare bed room making sure he doesnt brake curfew. All the while wearing a ski mask with a bag full of money

Reactions: 5 people
They did whoop our tail
but prior to the rain delay we were hanging in there with them.
Then during the rain delay Coach A got film of UT's defense and made adjustments then kicked some tail, Coach B fixed his hair blamed the players for the heavy downpour and got his head kicked in.
Coach A is EARNING a bunch of money now. Coach B is living in Dez Bryants spare bed room making sure he doesnt brake curfew. All the while wearing a ski mask with a bag full of money

Funny visual
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Neal is not as fast as anyone Oregon has. Oregon has Deanthony Thomas and incoming freshman Thomas Tyner who will be the two fastest people on the field (by a good margin). As for those that are looking at the Auburn National title game as reason for why Oregon can be stopped...Oregon also held Auburn well below their average and won on a last second field goal after a fluky play by Dyer. That Auburn team also went undefeated in the SEC so I'm not exactly sure why that is proof that Oregon cannot match up against the SEC. Also some have said that Stanford has walloped Oregon in the past, but if you look at the last five years I believe Oregon has won three and has scored on pace with their season average (except for last year).

A few comments. Auburn-Oregon. Offensively, Auburn was a limited team. It consisted mostly of Cam Newton and Dyer. Whereas Oregon had multiple weapons. What kept Auburn in the game was their equally limited dimensional defense, mainly Fairley. You guys just couldn't keep him out of your backfield. The surprise, contrary to the talent difference between the two, in which Oregon was superior, is that Auburn win by the margin they did. I think I recall thrice where Newton threw to a receiver downfield who didn't hang onto the ball or turn to catch it. Had those plays been made, Oregon would have lost by probably 21 points.

Now, about Oregon matching up with elite SEC teams, they would have a problem. First, Alabama simply overpowers people. The OL they often enjoy are closely on par with the lowest tier NFL teams. They're big and strong. Their RBs are freaking hard rubber balls. The darn things bounce when they hit the ground. Tacklers bounce off them or get dragged. The defense tends to be hyper aggressive, well coached, and relentless. And they got 2nd string players who are practically as good as the 1st string players. And third stringers not far behind. They just overpower you.

In a sense, you got a taste of this type of thing when you ran into LSU. Beyond Bama and LSU I have no doubt Oregon would be a dangerous team for other SEC teams to play. Matter of fact, I'd love to see Oregon butt heads with the UF, TAMU, and UGA. Those would be fun games to watch.

A few comments. Auburn-Oregon. Offensively, Auburn was a limited team. It consisted mostly of Cam Newton and Dyer. Whereas Oregon had multiple weapons. What kept Auburn in the game was their equally limited dimensional defense, mainly Fairley. You guys just couldn't keep him out of your backfield. The surprise, contrary to the talent difference between the two, in which Oregon was superior, is that Auburn win by the margin they did. I think I recall thrice where Newton threw to a receiver downfield who didn't hang onto the ball or turn to catch it. Had those plays been made, Oregon would have lost by probably 21 points.
That is not a great argument, if you look back at that game there were three calls that substantially changed the game. One was a clear interception by Cliff Harris that was ruled incomplete (the next play I believe went for a long TD) Newton fumbled on a sack and for some reason it was not reviewed and was ruled an incomplete pass as well. Lastly, the Dyer play could be argued for hours.

Now, about Oregon matching up with elite SEC teams, they would have a problem. First, Alabama simply overpowers people. The OL they often enjoy are closely on par with the lowest tier NFL teams. They're big and strong. Their RBs are freaking hard rubber balls. The darn things bounce when they hit the ground. Tacklers bounce off them or get dragged. The defense tends to be hyper aggressive, well coached, and relentless. And they got 2nd string players who are practically as good as the 1st string players. And third stringers not far behind. They just overpower you.

Alabama overpowers people, except for Texas A & M. The biggest difference between this years Oregon team and the teams that faced LSU and Auburn is the fact that our QB can RUN and is also THE MOST accurate Qb to ever play at Oregon.

In a sense, you got a taste of this type of thing when you ran into LSU. Beyond Bama and LSU I have no doubt Oregon would be a dangerous team for other SEC teams to play. Matter of fact, I'd love to see Oregon butt heads with the UF, TAMU, and UGA. Those would be fun games to watch.

I would love to see Oregon play these teams, its tiresome hearing that Oregon would go 8-4 or 9-3 in the SEC...it is impossible to know and so many things would change, but I would only have picked Bama over Oregon last year.

I would love to see Oregon play these teams, its tiresome hearing that Oregon would go 8-4 or 9-3 in the SEC...it is impossible to know and so many things would change, but I would only have picked Bama over Oregon last year.

LOL...LSU would have smashed Oregon last year. Overall Oregon would struggle in the trenches in this league. And that's not even a matter of opinion. And several SEC teams have Oregon speed. So the speed factor would be seriously hampered against SEC defenses.

I really can't see how anyone rationalizes an upset against Oregon next year. Aside from Bama, they stand to be our toughest competition next year. They arguably should have been in the national championship against Bama last year, and who knows how that could've turned out. We're coming off of 3 losing seasons and lost the majority of our offensive production.

I definitely can't wait to see how we stack up against these guys now that we have Butch at the helm, and I expect our guys to compete; but I think we have a 10-15% chance of winning this one. Autzen stadium is said to be one of, if not the loudest stadiums out there.

No they shouldn't have been in the Nation Championship not arguable after the way they choked vs Stanford at home.
It's like the Ducks were producing a emulation of the Buffalo Bills, Dallas Cowboys, or the 2012 Lions.
Even with the fumble in OT still the Ducks fail to recover, couldn't win in regulation multiple chances to produce the knockout punch but cound't and couldn't win in OT.

Now as for the game it's a major mismatch for the Big Orange Vols. Not only is it on the road, the Ducks Offense is a College version of the St Louis Rams Offense in the Warner years and having lost the major threats on offense makes it even harder.

I think our chances our even less than 10 to 15 percent. I think the highest is 5 percent.
The Ducks likely produce a blowout before the first half ends but I would be pleased to see if the Vols could keep it a close game the score for 1st half, and 80 percent or more of the 3rd quarter.
The very slim chance of winning is the Volunteers hang around by scoring when they need to keeping up with Ducks, win TOP keeping Ducks offense off the field for a long time.

LOL...LSU would have smashed Oregon last year. Overall Oregon would struggle in the trenches in this league. And that's not even a matter of opinion. And several SEC teams have Oregon speed. So the speed factor would be seriously hampered against SEC defenses.

I don't really know how you can say LSU would have smashed Oregon...and no, several SEC teams do not have the same speed as Oregon, just look at some Deanthony Thomas highlights or Mariota highlights and you will see they are probably the fastest Backfield tandem in the nation. Add Thomas Tyner (220 pounds and nationally ranked in the 100) and Oregon will certainly have the most speed they have ever fielded. Just compare Manziel and Mariota's numbers (and Mariota was playing with worse receivers and oline) and you will realize just how special he is. As for the game against Tennessee coming up, I think you will be surprised by Oregon's defense. Oregon's dline should be good, their secondary will be one of the tops in the nation, the primary concern is replacing our linebackers although they do have some unproven talent.

CCCduck, hopefully my response is distinct from the understandably proud SEC folks here. I agree with those who say Oregon would mostly be an 8-4 or 9-3 team. Not because we're SEC and blah, blah so better and all that. Oregon traditionally has smaller sized DL and OL as well as skill players. Right now, in my view, the SECis slightly down. Traditional defense power houses like Tennessee, Auburn, and even Florida aren't what they usually are. But they will be back and soon. So basically what happens is the wear and tear, what some people call the cannibalism of the SEC will wear those smaller players down by bigger and stronger players hitting them over time. It happens to SEC teams too, all the time. That's why they used to call it SEC cannibalism. As for TMU beating Bama, oh come on. Nobody can win all the time. Applalachian State beat Michigan. A little bitty school in Louisiana beat Bama. Can't recall the name but some little school knocked Florida hat off too. You can win right and left but sooner or later someone will, remind you that you're mortal like the rest of us.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't really know how you can say LSU would have smashed Oregon...and no, several SEC teams do not have the same speed as Oregon, just look at some Deanthony Thomas highlights or Mariota highlights and you will see they are probably the fastest Backfield tandem in the nation. Add Thomas Tyner (220 pounds and nationally ranked in the 100) and Oregon will certainly have the most speed they have ever fielded. Just compare Manziel and Mariota's numbers (and Mariota was playing with worse receivers and oline) and you will realize just how special he is. As for the game against Tennessee coming up, I think you will be surprised by Oregon's defense. Oregon's dline should be good, their secondary will be one of the tops in the nation, the primary concern is replacing our linebackers although they do have some unproven talent.

I'm not just talking about Offensive players when I say speed. I'm talking about big physical guys that can run. I'm talking 250lb. LBs who can flat out run. Who will be there waiting to demolish Thomas as he tries to get the edge on his little draw read. He gets the edge against the PAC 10 teams, but it wouldn't consistently happen against top SEC defenses. Oregon has speed...no doubt. But their TEAM SPEED isn't superior to 5-6 SEC teams. Especially if you wanna talk size/speed ratio. You named off your fastest players. But that doesn't prove anything, nor does it prove that Oregon collectively has more TEAM SPEED than say a Florida, Bama, LSU, UGA, Etc. because they don't.

CCCduck, hopefully my response is distinct from the understandably proud SEC folks here. I agree with those who say Oregon would mostly be an 8-4 or 9-3 team. Not because we're SEC and blah, blah so better and all that. Oregon traditionally has smaller sized DL and OL as well as skill players. Right now, in my view, the SECis slightly down. Traditional defense power houses like Tennessee, Auburn, and even Florida aren't what they usually are. But they will be back and soon. So basically what happens is the wear and tear, what some people call the cannibalism of the SEC will wear those smaller players down by bigger and stronger players hitting them over time. It happens to SEC teams too, all the time. That's why they used to call it SEC cannibalism. As for TMU beating Bama, oh come on. Nobody can win all the time. Applalachian State beat Michigan. A little bitty school in Louisiana beat Bama. Can't recall the name but some little school knocked Florida hat off too. You can win right and left but sooner or later someone will, remind you that you're mortal like the rest of us.
Well, the most obvious rebuttal is how did A & M fair in their first year in the SEC? Had they been recruiting SEC caliber players all along? Did their defense automatically become an SEC defense with the transition? Also, for convenience, lets look at A & M's schedule last year and in my estimation there were 3 difficult games, Florida, LSU, and @ Bama. You really think Oregon would be an 8-4 team with their schedule?At the least, Oregon would win one of those games and would be a 10-2 team. Although there are many good teams in the SEC, they benefit from playing more out of conference games and more bad teams within the SEC. Most teams will have 3 difficult games a year. Just my thoughts.

Are there any Vols fans on the Duck sites loudmouthing Tennessee? It's one thing to visit another site, it's another to come to pick fights. You're the first Duck fan I've seen come here doing that. Previously we had some of what I'd call data exchanges with other Duck fans. They were very respectful of the fact this is a Vols board and not a Duck board. We had some Vol jackasses who tried to act like you are now, but the Duck fans didn't take the bait and just communicated with those of us who appreciated their good manners. Now, if you got Vols at the Duck site acting as you are here, copy and paste my request to your moderator to kick their azzes out. You visit somebody's home, you respect the house instead of acting like you own it. Knowhutimean?

Obviously we have people here who respect your team and even think we will lose the game. But your persistent lauding and defending the SEC readiness of Oregon is sounding trollish. Why are you here on a Vols board?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I really can't see how anyone rationalizes an upset against Oregon next year. Aside from Bama, they stand to be our toughest competition next year. They arguably should have been in the national championship against Bama last year, and who knows how that could've turned out. We're coming off of 3 losing seasons and lost the majority of our offensive production.

I definitely can't wait to see how we stack up against these guys now that we have Butch at the helm, and I expect our guys to compete; but I think we have a 10-15% chance of winning this one. Autzen stadium is said to be one of, if not the loudest stadiums out there.

Bro, have you ever been to Neyland Stadium? Butch Jones will have these boys ready for all battles.

But honestly, they have a new coach and a new player caller, he might suck as a head coach!

Edit: Player caller??? Haha

Same offense and a majority of those Coach's have been at Oregon forever. Oregon probably wont miss a beat and will be just as good under the new guy. I would love to beat Or but just dont see it with us going out there and no true playmakers yet or identity on Offense. I think Butch will do really good things in Knox butit will take a cpl yrs. Improvement on the field and discipline is what I personally am looking for next yr. I do think we beat someone at home that we shouldnt, get his signature win in yr 1 and get to a bowl. And beating the hell out of that big mouthed SOB in Nashville.

Are there any Vols fans on the Dock sites loudmouthing Tennessee? It's one thing to visit another site, it's another to come to pick fights. You're the first Duck fan I've seen come here doing that. Previously we had some of what I'd call data exchanges with other Duck fans. They were very respectful of the fact this is a Vols board and not a Duck board. We had some Vol jackasses who tried to act like you are now, but the Duck fans didn't take the bait and just communicated with those of us who appreciated their good manners. Now, if you got Vols at the Duck site acting as you are here, copy and paste my request to your moderator to kick their azzes out. You visit somebody's home, you respect the house instead of acting like you own it. Knowhutimean?

Obviously we have people here who respect your team and even think we will lose the game. But your persistent lauding and defending the SEC readiness of Oregon is sounding trollish. Why are you here on a Vols board?

Hmmm I'm sorry if it comes off that way, I thought we were having a discussion. The post you just quoted pretty much only talked about the Ducks in a favorable manner ( I am a fan), and I haven't bad mouthed Tennessee at all so I'm a little confused where you are coming from. And yes, there were a good number of Vol "fans" on the Oregon board two years ago that, than rather discussing and using facts or posing questions said the same old stuff about Oregon being a pansy west coast team. I'm not sure how stating the fact that I believe Oregon would do well in the SEC is in anyway a condemnation of Tennessee but rather my belief that Oregon is a very very good team. If you consider that trolling and in no way worth discussion than I am confused what a board is for.

Well, the most obvious rebuttal is how did A & M fair in their first year in the SEC? Had they been recruiting SEC caliber players all along? Did their defense automatically become an SEC defense with the transition? Also, for convenience, lets look at A & M's schedule last year and in my estimation there were 3 difficult games, Florida, LSU, and @ Bama. You really think Oregon would be an 8-4 team with their schedule?At the least, Oregon would win one of those games and would be a 10-2 team. Although there are many good teams in the SEC, they benefit from playing more out of conference games and more bad teams within the SEC. Most teams will have 3 difficult games a year. Just my thoughts.

So will Oregon just skip right along like they didn't lose a top 5 national coach? Serious question. Because I'm getting this feeling like Oregon fans have a "we didn't want him anyway" attitude over losing your coach. I'd be really shocked if you lose the best coach in your program's history and we see no dip in the program. Especially once the NCAA gets done with you. But keep on talking man.

So will Oregon just skip right along like they didn't lose a top 5 national coach? Serious question. Because I'm getting this feeling like Oregon fans have a "we didn't want him anyway" attitude over losing your coach. I'd be really shocked if you lose the best coach in your program's history and we see no dip in the program. Especially once the NCAA gets done with you. But keep on talking man.

I think most Oregon fans knew that Kelly was going to the NFL at somepoint which has mitigated a lot of the dissapointment. He had always stated he wanted to coach in the NFL. As for whether or not there will be a drop off it is tough to say, Kelly was masterful at preparing the team in terms of practice and conditioning. Sometimes his play calling was a little stubborn but that is nitpicking. I believe most Oregon fans are happy they stayed in house and hope that will ease the transition. If the team was less talented I would be more concerned, but having Mariota at QB gives me confidence in the team.

Bro, have you ever been to Neyland Stadium? Butch Jones will have these boys ready for all battles.

What does being in Neyland Stadium have to do with going to a crazy environment on the road?

By the way, Troy wasn't intimidated by Neyland en route to gaining over 700 yards.

We're not beating Oregon. Get that out of your head.

get-out.gif

What does being in Neyland Stadium have to do with going to a crazy environment on the road?

By the way, Troy wasn't intimidated by Neyland en route to gaining over 700 yards.

Yeah, how many was at the Troy game? 40k?

Like I've told you 10x In this thread Troy was A LOT better team then you give them credit. You act like their UTC or something.

Yeah, how many was at the Troy game? 40k?

Like I've told you 10x In this thread Troy was A LOT better team then you give them credit. You act like their UTC or something.

I thought UT had the most passionate fanbase in the country? How could there have been only 40k there? I'm not picking on you but there are a ton of posters that use the: tradition, passionate fanbase, and facilities argument any chance they get...and it doesn't mean squat.

And this "Troy was A LOT" better crap, they lost MTSU, Western KY, FAU, Ark State, & the Louisiana Lafayette Ragin Cajuns. How do you honestly think they would have done against Oregon? No comparison.

Last edited:
UT needs to completely copy the Stanford gameplan of last year. This is our only chance but our personnel fits this scheme. Smash mouth, ball control offense to keep their o off the field. Lights out dline play with disruption and to's. All breaks need to go our way but I wouldn't bet on this one.

Also, for the record, Arkansas people thought staying in house would help with the Petrino situation and see how that worked out.

UT needs to completely copy the Stanford gameplan of last year. This is our only chance but our personnel fits this scheme. Smash mouth, ball control offense to keep their o off the field. Lights out dline play with disruption and to's. All breaks need to go our way but I wouldn't bet on this one.

Also, for the record, Arkansas people thought staying in house would help with the Petrino situation and see how that worked out.

Not exactly the same situation. Stanford is closer where their coach went to the NFL and they promoted from within.

VN Store

Back