TN #3 on Rivals, Negavols on Suicide Watch!

If your point is that Dooley couldn't be expected to beat Kentucky because he wasn't paid much more than its coach (and seriously, you're making that argument??!! And here I thought I had seen every excuse imaginable), then I guess I need to point out that Dooley made appr. $630,000 more than Phillips in 2011, and that his salary was closer to Steve Spurrier's than it was to Phillips'. Also in 2011, UT's coaching staff was paid 1.6 million more than UK's staff (and incidentally, $300K more than South Carolina's staff).

My pt is that this fanbases expectations is based on the past. People act as if Dooley took over a 10+ winning season no issues team, and ran it to the ground. Just because we r UT it should be no problem for us to get back to the top. Its unrealistic. If u don't think so that's fine, but thats my take.

These unrealistic expectations will bring down CBJ too. For goodness sake people are talking about the mizzou and auburn games as gimmies. Both teams have talent pretty equal or greater than we do and coaches with more sec experience than UTs.

At this pt all I care about is that CBJ compliments beefs brand new UT shirt he bought for the first meet/greet he goes to. Cause we all know that Dooley didn't give him much love when he first met him and that's why he hates him. Since then beef sits in his basement wiping his tears with that same shirt, on forums bashing the guy, and shopping for a new outfit that will get him the attention he so seeks from the new coach(daddy). What a pathetic loser...

My pt is that this fanbases expectations is based on the past. People act as if Dooley took over a 10+ winning season no issues team, and ran it to the ground. Just because we r UT it should be no problem for us to get back to the top. Its unrealistic. If u don't think so that's fine, but thats my take.

These unrealistic expectations will bring down CBJ too. For goodness sake people are talking about the mizzou and auburn games as gimmies. Both teams have talent pretty equal or greater than we do and coaches with more sec experience than UTs.

At this pt all I care about is that CBJ compliments beefs brand new UT shirt he bought for the first meet/greet he goes to. Cause we all know that Dooley didn't give him much love when he first met him and that's why he hates him. Since then beef sits in his basement wiping his tears with that same shirt, on forums bashing the guy, and shopping for a new outfit that will get him the attention he so seeks from the new coach(daddy). What a pathetic loser...

If you were only smart enough to know just how stupid you look...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person

I actually very strongly agree with this point.

However, expecting Dooley to win a game against a team with no QB, an offense that was installed on the fly during the week leading up to the game and VASTLY inferior talent is not unreasonable as you have argued. Also, asking a coach to be able to figure out a way to get the right number of men on the field is not asking too much either. It would be one thing if what happened at the end of the LSU game were an isolated incident, but that continued for WEEKS afterwards. There's no excuse for not being able to correct that issue.

I actually very strongly agree with this point.

However, expecting Dooley to win a game against a team with no QB, an offense that was installed on the fly during the week leading up to the game and VASTLY inferior talent is not unreasonable as you have argued. Also, asking a coach to be able to figure out a way to get the right number of men on the field is not asking too much either. It would be one thing if what happened at the end of the LSU game were an isolated incident, but that continued for WEEKS afterwards. There's no excuse for not being able to correct that issue.

I've not seen or heard people saying Aub and Mizzou are gimmie games. Oskie has an issue with accuracy. He can't see reality because his vision is obstructed by DD's sack...

Reactions: 3 people

Yeah, it's hard to be a coach in the SEC. I lived in Florida during the Zook years and if you think that high expectations is limited to UT fans, you are sadly mistaken.

Sure, Butch Jones has a hard road ahead of him and some have unrealistic expectations. Unfortunately, in order to succeed in this league (and really, in the whole of college football these days), you have to achieve some unrealistic things.

Was it fair to expect Steve Spurrier to beat Florida and TN in his first year at South Carolina?

Was it fair to expect Mark Richt to beat a #5 ranked TN (in Knoxville) in his first year at Georgia?

Was it fair to expect Nick Saban to beat TN in his first year at LSU?

Was it fair to expect James Franklin to beat TN and out-recruit them by his 2nd year at Vanderbilt?

Was it fair to expect Urban Meyer to win a National Championship in his 2nd year at Florida?

...of course not. My point is, if you're going to succeed in this league long term, then you're going to exceed "fair expectations" pretty quickly. Gone are the days of guys like Johnny Majors being allowed to lose for 6 years until they finally figure out how to win here. If Butch Jones is going to make it, he's going to have to do something special. He's going to have to work miracles, like Richt and Saban and Meyer have before him.

Is that "fair"? Probably not. But that's the way it is. And that's why college football coaches are paid exorbitant sums of money (that are ever growing) and treated like kings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, it's hard to be a coach in the SEC. I lived in Florida during the Zook years and if you think that high expectations is limited to UT fans, you are sadly mistaken.

Sure, Butch Jones has a hard road ahead of him and some have unrealistic expectations. Unfortunately, in order to succeed in this league (and really, in the whole of college football these days), you have to achieve some unrealistic things.

Was it fair to expect Steve Spurrier to beat Florida and TN in his first year at South Carolina?

Was it fair to expect Mark Richt to beat a #5 ranked TN (in Knoxville) in his first year at Georgia?

Was it fair to expect James Franklin to beat TN and out-recruit them by his 2nd year at Vanderbilt?

Was it fair to expect Urban Meyer to win a National Championship in his 2nd year at Florida?

...of course not. My point is, if you're going to succeed in this league long term, then you're going to exceed "fair expectations" pretty quickly. Gone are the days of guys like Johnny Majors being allowed to lose for 6 years until they finally figure out how to win here. If Butch Jones is going to make it, he's going to have to do something special. He's going to have to work miracles, like Richt and Saban and Meyer have before him.

Is that "fair"? Probably not. But that's the way it is. And that's why college football coaches are paid exorbitant sums of money (that are ever growing) and treated like kings.

Great points! You hit the nail square on the head with this one. aTm also walked into the SEC and made some serious noise in their 1st year. For those insisting it takes time, just look around. It doesn't have to.

Reactions: 1 person

Very good points but I'll add that the coaches know this coming in. No one forces them to take the jobs.

Excellent post.

I'd say, given his time so far, that CBJ is winning that battle, however, the proof in the pudding will be how his team handles the upcoming, very difficult, schedule.

In the past, I've tried to give our coaches the benefit of the doubt but the last 7-10 years has all but exhausted my optimism. While I'm very excited about what he's done so far, I'm very apprehensive about this team this year. We have some major concerns in the backfield, at WR, at QB, and legitimate concerns in the secondary.

However......(this is where my optimism kicks in) we actually have a HC and staff that I feel confident can actually "coach" these kids and mitigate our inefficiencies. CBJ can coach, plain and simple. Most importantly, however....the team has ALREADY bought in, something I don't think they EVER did with Dooley. The benefits that has cannot be understated, it's HUGE.

One of my biggest beefs with Dooley was, IMO, he was a HORRID motivator and never connected with the players (or simply refused to). CBJ seems to be the antithesis of that--and its showing through in the players comments. A motivated team that believes in the coach can overcome a lot....

At this time last year I said I would reserve judgement on whether Dooley would be fired until I saw the Florida game and, regardless of the outcome, if we played a full 60 minutes, I was convinced DD would get a stay of execution....at least until Bama. My suspicions were validated by the end of the third quarter.

This year, I have the same inclination, only in a much more positive light. CBJ has given me hope and depending on whether you're a Andy Dufresne or a Red Redding, hope can be either liberating or dangerous but, given our last three years, I find myself on the fence with its definition. That said, I have the same feeling (only in a much different light) about the Oregon game this year. I hesitate to outright proclaim....anything....about CBJ so far, but I will say that it has been harder to contain my optimism lately. I'm not looking for a win--although it'd be nice, to say the least--just for how the team plays and responds to CBJ.

I think it may have been Pat Summerall who said one of the greatest compliments you can say about a coach is that his team played hard for 60 minutes and never let up.

If we do that, I think we can "compete" with Oregon. At this point, that's the most optimistic I "allow" myself to be....

VN Store

Back