'24 TN LB Edwin Spillman (Tennessee)

I watched him in the Orange and White game. Kid is a player with quickness and instincts.
Yeah. And let's keep in mind he was playing against the 2nd string offense.

However, everyone going gaga (including myself) over Seldon didn't take the time to notice who tackled him almost every play he got the football. Arion Carter!

Excited about Carter’s potential but want to keep expectations realistic so I can be pleasantly surprised. 70 tackles seems huge for a freshmen.
That's fair.

I don't know who Smyrna's coach is, but it's really hard to believe this kid wasn't playing LB all through HS.

I took a peep at his current rating on 247. He was either 94/95 since his original rating. Every since November 22’, he has dropped precipitously on every rating update. He is now @ 90 rating, 337 nationally. What has he done or haven’t done to justify his rating falling so steeply

Reactions: 19_GBO_19
I took a peep at his current rating on 247. He was either 94/95 since his original rating. Every since November 22’, he has dropped precipitously on every rating update. He is now @ 90 rating, 337 nationally. What has he done or haven’t done to justify his rating falling so steeply
He hasn't done Saban or Kirby.

I took a peep at his current rating on 247. He was either 94/95 since his original rating. Ever since November 22’, he has dropped precipitously on every rating update. He is now @ 90 rating, 337 nationally. What has he done or haven’t done to justify his rating falling so steeply
Yeah this time last year he was ranked inside the top 100 overall (.9512), right where Merk is now. Not sure why a junior campaign of 101 tackles, 14.5 TFL and 7 pass deflections would drop you 237 spots.

Unless you were trending UT

That is a great question. I don't see any reason he should have dropped but if Ohio State wants him then I do too.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991

He dropped to a low 4 star on ESPN as well.

How are you going to drop these kids whenever the season hasn’t started yet?

Reactions: Golf freak
He dropped to a low 4 star on ESPN as well.

How are you going to drop these kids whenever the season hasn’t started yet?
He was obviously doing something right all of calendar year 2022 to rise up to top 100 in November. So what did he do so horrendously since to drop since? There hasnt been any football played and @swchandler1988 posted his 2022 stats, which are really really good. I really would like to know what his ranking would be if his finalists were uga, bama & texas. It’s a joke.

Reactions: Golf freak
That would be 8 LBs in three years, in a defense that primarily plays two at a time. While they want to sub frequently, that's still some fierce competition.

Key is that only 2 of those would be legit blue-chip prospects, so still lot of improvement to be made in that room even if they've a) gotten the numbers to a way better place, and b) done it while raising the floor of the room.

What Carter, Spillman, and HOPEFULLY Cole do is raise your ceiling. IMO, fwiw, Burns is more of a 2023 LB class-type prospect, which is a solid SEC level LB - really glad to have him in this class.

Key is that only 2 of those would be legit blue-chip prospects, so still lot of improvement to be made in that room even if they've a) gotten the numbers to a way better place, and b) done it while raising the floor of the room.

What Carter, Spillman, and HOPEFULLY Cole do is raise your ceiling. IMO, fwiw, Burns is more of a 2023 LB class-type prospect, which is a solid SEC level LB - really glad to have him in this class.
I still think some of y’all are sleeping on Smith and Telander…

Someone already said it, but I think Smith and Telander both are more than just solid SEC LBs. To hell with rankings, just go to the tape. Not highlights, but whole games. Let's see what Burns looks like this season. He has SEC size and speed.

Last edited:
I still think some of y’all are sleeping on Smith and Telander…
I keep forgetting that Smith played on the same team, same division, and same position as Owen Pappoe. But broke his records and he’s bigger. LBs this 2023 class will be better than HT and Crouch ever were

VN Store

Back