'24 TN LB Edwin Spillman (Tennessee)

any updates here

From the OSU On3 site:

A hat on the table or more?
As we mentioned above, the Buckeyes have been there from the very beginning of Spillman’s recruitment.

Of course, it wasn’t Jim Knowles or James Laurinaitis, but Knowles has really taken the driver’s seat in this recruitment for Ohio State. The veteran defensive coordinator and linebackers coach has had Spillman on campus four times since he arrived in January 2022.

“My relationship with coach Knowles is awesome and has been great from the beginning,” Spillman said earlier this year. “It’s been awesome talking to coach Laurinaitis, coach is a great man and was a great leader and player.”

Spillman took an official visit to Ohio State the weekend of June 9-11 and was on campus at the same time as linebacker commit Garrett Stover. That OV went very well for the Buckeyes and for Spillman.

Here’s the but.

Tennessee being the in-state program is going to be hard to beat. The Volunteers have done a phenomenal job in his recruitment, and he has a true vision of what it would be like to play in Knoxville as his older brother, 2023 wide receiver Nate Spillman, committed and signed to Tennessee.

It’s closer to home and the younger Spillman has a real chance at cracking the rotation in a more linebacker-friendly system.

Additionally, the Buckeyes have prioritized four-star Bellflower (Calif) St. John Bosco linebacker Kyngstonn Viliamu-Asa just a hair more than Spillman down the stretch here.

Ultimately, I think Spillman will stay home and choose Tennessee. Ohio State has done an excellent job here, but intel points toward the Buckeye have their eyes elsewhere.

Translation: “Didn’t want him anyway.” 😏
the way they're recruiting, honestly, probably so.

but we could end up falling backward into a strong LB class this year.

Next year sets up as a nice defensive year in state. Hopefully we can get the VA kid, and gets some momentum headed into 25.

Last edited:
From the OSU On3 site:
I take it as they realized they weren’t getting him so they made sure to have other options but he makes it pretty clear they’ve actively pushed for him and if he wanted to commit say right after his OV they’d certainly have taken him.

All this mess about OSU being in it real has been for drama to build for Edwin and to make sure we get the recruiting “win” over OSU.

That would be 8 LBs in three years, in a defense that primarily plays two at a time. While they want to sub frequently, that's still some fierce competition.
Last year
Beasley, Banks, Mitchell all played similar amount of snaps.
Then Page and Herring played a good amount of snaps too.

Our two deep in reality is basically the starting defense because we rotate so often. That's why I think Arion Carter will eventually get like 70 tackles this season even tho he won't be in the top 2 at the very beginning.

Last year

Our two deep in reality is basically the starting defense because we rotate so often. That's why I think Arion Carter will eventually get like 70 tackles this season even tho he won't be in the top 2 at the very beginning.
That's a lot of tackles for a true freshman, even if he's eventually LB1. Beasley, Pili, and Herring will get the lions share of snaps. Carter should get a good deal of PT though.

Last year

I just really don’t think a freshman who won’t be a “starter” will have more tackles than Will Anderson did in his freshman and junior year. Carter will be great, but him getting 30+ tackles this season would be stellar

That's a lot of tackles for a true freshman, even if he's eventually LB1. Beasley, Pili, and Herring will get the lions share of snaps. Carter should get a good deal of PT though.

There's not 3 better LBs on the team than Arion Carter. Yeah, I think he gets that easily.

I just really don’t think a freshman who won’t be a “starter” will have more tackles than Will Anderson did in his freshman and junior year. Carter will be great, but him getting 30+ tackles this season would be stellar
We'll see. People make way too much out of him being a freshman. By the time the South Carolina game hits, he'll be interchangeable with Beasley. He was one of the most sought after recruits period for Alabama.

#PD303

Reactions: wokawoka55
Last year

I really think the strategy for success for this defense is to have two starters per position. 1a and 1b. Rotate or switch each quarter, etc. Keep the guys fresh. With that strategy, they would still get as many snaps as the average defense due to our offense. Bet they could sell it well on the recruiting trail because if you are good, you will play every game.

Of course no need to Butch Jones it, and take a guy out if he's hot. But you get the idea.

Last year

Excited about Carter’s potential but want to keep expectations realistic so I can be pleasantly surprised. 70 tackles seems huge for a freshmen.

VN Store

Back