'26 TN QB Jared Curtis

Well, yea. I’m thinking Marco will have a better answer than that lol.
Yeah, I didn’t mean it to sound smartass. It just seems like the staff projects Brandon as a better prospect for UT’s offense. These guys just finished their sophomore years, so I’m sure the rankings will change a bunch. At this point in the high school careers of Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, Lawrence was the #1 QB in his class and Fields was unranked.

Of course, I’ve made my opinion known about the ability if website nerds to evaluate. Their ineptitude is magnified in projecting guys who haven’t even started their junior seasons.

Reactions: SoilVol
Yeah, I didn’t mean it to sound smartass. It just seems like the staff projects Brandon as a better prospect for UT’s offense. These guys just finished their sophomore years, so I’m sure the rankings will change a bunch. At this point in the high school careers of Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, Lawrence was the #1 QB in his class and Fields was unranked.

Of course, I’ve made my opinion known about the ability if website nerds to evaluate. Their ineptitude is magnified in projecting guys who haven’t even started their junior seasons.
It may also be that the staff sees selling the QB position as easier to a high-upside player like Brandon (not a knock on him, at all) following up Nico, Jake, and GMac than it would be to a player like Curtis, who is projected to be a top-2 QB in that class and probably has expectations to play pretty quickly.

It may also be that the staff sees selling the QB position as easier to a high-upside player like Brandon (not a knock on him, at all) following up Nico, Jake, and GMac than it would be to a player like Curtis, who is projected to be a top-2 QB in that class and probably has expectations to play pretty quickly.
Maybe, but On3 has Brandon as the #3 QB in that class. With two more years to sign, the difference in their rankings, at this point, is meaningless. Brandon might be ranked higher than Curtis when all is said and done. The rankings will change multiple times between now and the final rankings and these guys will develop more before then too.

I think Heupel just prefers Brandon.

Maybe, but On3 has Brandon as the #3 QB in that class. With two more years to sign, the difference in their rankings, at this point, is meaningless. Brandon might be ranked higher than Curtis when all is said and done. The rankings will change multiple times between now and the final rankings and these guys will develop more before then too.

I just mean Brandon may have a high ceiling, but needs a year or two before being ready to contribute. If he agrees, and is amicable to that kind of arrangement, then it may be an easier sell.

And lije you said, maybe Heupel just like him more

I just mean Brandon may have a high ceiling, but needs a year or two before being ready to contribute. If he agrees, and is amicable to that kind of arrangement, then it may be an easier sell.

And lije you said, maybe Heupel just like him more
If he is a bit raw, but has the highest ceiling and agrees to wait his turn, then he’s the perfect QB for Tennessee in that class. You’re right.

I’ll admit I haven’t seen his film. I’ve seen Curtis’ and it’s impressive.

Someone said I was silly when I said that rankings will absolutely change and there is a good chance Curtis doesn’t remain the #1 player.

Someone said I was silly when I said that rankings will absolutely change and there is a good chance Curtis doesn’t remain the #1 player.
To be fair, you said it’s “highly unlikely” Curtis doesn’t remain the #1 player. I would agree there is a good chance Curtis doesn’t remain the #1 player, but highly unlikely means less than 10%. I’m not just looking for things to argue about, but these small things matter when quoting someone else.

All of you that think we shouldn’t be trying to stack as much elite talent as possible are clueless. Not everyone pans out. Some people get injured. Elite teams stack elite talent. I don’t see Alabama (under Saban), Georgia, or Ohio State afraid to stack as much elite talent as possible on top of each other. Yet, for some bizarre reason, we should be afraid to do so? Elite teams have elite depth of elite talent. If our staff is prioritizing Brandon over Curtis, it is because they think he is a better prospect.

All of you that think we shouldn’t be trying to stack as much elite talent as possible are clueless. Not everyone pans out. Some people get injured. Elite teams stack elite talent. I don’t see Alabama (under Saban), Georgia, or Ohio State afraid to stack as much elite talent as possible on top of each other. Yet, for some bizarre reason, we should be afraid to do so? Elite teams have elite depth of elite talent. If our staff is prioritizing Brandon over Curtis, it is because they think he is a better prospect.
Why do we want to debate the sequencing and priority of showing love to these 26' guys? Especially in this brave new NIL world. The staff can better gauge the relationships over time and if and when to turn up the heat on each and every one.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Where did I say that we shouldn't be stacking QBs? Or even suggest it?

I'm speaking from the player perspective. Nico, Merk, and GMac isn't exactly an inviting depth chart. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be aiming high because yeah, things change every year. Guys don't pan out. Guys transfer. Brandon is currently the #3 QB in the country. What part of my post suggests that we aren't aiming high or that we shouldn't by pursuing him instead of Curtis?

Maybe re-read it and decide who's clueless. Then go pound sand.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

I'm speaking from the player perspective. Nico, Merk, and GMac isn't exactly an inviting depth chart. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be aiming high because yeah, things change every year. Guys don't pan out. Guys transfer. Brandon is currently the #3 QB in the country. What part of my post suggests that we aren't aiming high or that we shouldn't by pursuing him instead of Curtis?

Here’s a different angle. After following recruiting for almost 30 years closely, I’d agree with you 100% but with the portal I’m starting to think that that perception might change.

considering the turnover now of guys leaving when they don’t make the cut, being the fourth to come in might not be that bad because you know rationally anymore 1-2 guys ahead of you are going to transfer. That puts you at the school with 1-2 years under or belt and first in line knowing the offense and ready to start.

I can’t fathom any kid actually believes the projected with chart at their position will remain status quo for the coming years ahead for them. Just a thought I’ve been pondering

Here’s a different angle. After following recruiting for almost 30 years closely, I’d agree with you 100% but with the portal I’m starting to think that that perception might change.

considering the turnover now of guys leaving when they don’t make the cut, being the fourth to come in might not be that bad because you know rationally anymore 1-2 guys ahead of you are going to transfer. That puts you at the school with 1-2 years under or belt and first in line knowing the offense and ready to start.

I can’t fathom any kid actually believes the projected with chart at their position will remain status quo for the coming years ahead for them. Just a thought I’ve been pondering
Good point, and something I've also considered in a lot of these high profile recruitment in this new era.

I had the same reaction when I read his post. I thought maybe I’d interpreted it wrong. Guess not. 😂

Reactions: cncchris33
I see a similar dynamic to when Arch Manning was weighing offers as a sophomore. Early on, Heupel apparently saw we were lower in his interest level and focused on Nico and some others that fit what he desired in his quarterback.

VN Store

Back