Tomorrow will tell a lot

Agree, time to fire Deboer. Took a CFP team one year to losing at Vandy the next.

It happens. CJH is also still learning and growing. This fire mentality and quick hiring is why UT has been in the wilderness for decades.
Yea? Who should we have given more time to?

I will give up on Heupel if he loses tomorrow. Year 4 when UF, Bama, and UGA all have one loss already. How often do we find ourselves in a situation to run the table?

That is part of the reason why I am so chapped about the Arky loss. A win last week puts us on track for Atlanta. Now, we have to fight for our life to even make the CFP.

I will ask the group this (copied from another thread so sorry about the repost): if not now, then when with Heupel?
The SEC is going to cannibalize itself, like it already has. Texas will lose at some point (though I think they’re the most “talented” team in the conference).

Last week was rough for sure. But Arkansas really should’ve beaten A&M and Oklahoma State. Tomorrow is huge for a number of reasons.

The Florida 🙈 on our backs is annoying. We’re going to see what this team is made of tomorrow. I believe in Coach Heupel but I do think our team lacks mental toughness on the road.

Nico played a bad game last week but every QB has had a bad game. Let’s see if he shows up tomorrow.

I will say this team is definitely together. We should’ve honestly lost by more to Arkansas but our defense continues to fight. Would love for us to get the turnovers on defense to help our offense.

I haven’t commented or posted all week ( I don’t think) because I just didn’t really have anything worth saying after the ridiculous pathetic loss last week. This is year 4….year 4 for Huepel.

If Tennessee loses a HOME game to this pathetic Florida team, we know that Huepel probably will never lead us to being a front runner of the SEC. You can make all of the excuses you want but this is…and I’ll say it again….year 4. No excuses. Year 4 that offensive line should be ferocious. Nico doesn’t have time to get but one look back there. Can’t win like that. Running game against decent teams is not consistent to win.

Tennessee blows out Florida tomorrow…ok, progress…fixing issues. Tennessee loses? Our program is again garbage and don’t try denying it or you’re just a blind homer.
Don’t agree with everything, but you’re right about a lot. I hope they learn from Arky and move on motivated and not make the same mistakes.

Night game at Neyland gives us a huge advantage. I expect us to play mad after last week and start out hot. Hopefully there is no let up.

I try not to overreact, and I won't be saying "fire him" because I'd rather have the success that we have been having and hope for lightining in a bottle again... but I will officially be off the Heup train if he loses to Florida. He's not "the guy".

The SEC is going to cannibalize itself, like it already has. Texas will lose at some point (though I think they’re the most “talented” team in the conference).

Last week was rough for sure. But Arkansas really should’ve beaten A&M and Oklahoma State. Tomorrow is huge for a number of reasons.

The Florida 🙈 on our backs is annoying. We’re going to see what this team is made of tomorrow. I believe in Coach Heupel but I do think our team lacks mental toughness on the road.

Nico played a bad game last week but every QB has had a bad game. Let’s see if he shows up tomorrow.

I will say this team is definitely together. We should’ve honestly lost by more to Arkansas but our defense continues to fight. Would love for us to get the turnovers on defense to help our offense.
Its not just the SEC parity has hit the whole P4

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I haven’t commented or posted all week ( I don’t think) because I just didn’t really have anything worth saying after the ridiculous pathetic loss last week. This is year 4….year 4 for Huepel.

If Tennessee loses a HOME game to this pathetic Florida team, we know that Huepel probably will never lead us to being a front runner of the SEC. You can make all of the excuses you want but this is…and I’ll say it again….year 4. No excuses. Year 4 that offensive line should be ferocious. Nico doesn’t have time to get but one look back there. Can’t win like that. Running game against decent teams is not consistent to win.

Tennessee blows out Florida tomorrow…ok, progress…fixing issues. Tennessee loses? Our program is again garbage and don’t try denying it or you’re just a blind homer.
What if UT wins by 10?

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other?

People are really overblowing how bad Florida is. Its not like they lost to some scrub teams guys. Miami is looking more legit as the weeks go on and so is A&M to a lesser extent. These guys are at least as good a team as Arkansas was and with significantly better QB play and WR's.
Miami doesn’t look legit imo. They’ve had 2 struggle wins to scrubs in back to back weeks.

I will give up on Heupel if he loses tomorrow. Year 4 when UF, Bama, and UGA all have one loss already. How often do we find ourselves in a situation to run the table?

That is part of the reason why I am so chapped about the Arky loss. A win last week puts us on track for Atlanta. Now, we have to fight for our life to even make the CFP.

I will ask the group this (copied from another thread so sorry about the repost): if not now, then when with Heupel?
Yeah this is where I’m at too. Every time we have a clear path to a special season we frick it up. Every time. I’m tired grandpa.

Not firing soon enough is why we are in this mess.

It's pointless to respond to foolishness like this because that comment shows how clueless you are, but I'll try once more.

It takes 3-4 years minimum to build a program from the ground up to anywhere near elite level, between recruiting and establishing a system and culture. Heupel is in his fourth full year here and has us in the top 10, and has established a rock solid recruiting base, with one 5-star QB here and another on the way. The program is ascending for the first time in a couple of decades. Yeah, we hit a bump in the road, but you don't burn the house down.

You seriously believe that firing him off a disappointing season won't kill all that and send us back to square one? How many Power 4 coaches or top assistants are going to be open to coming to a place that fires a guy off of what CJH has done here in 4 years? You think that any top recruit will want anything to do with this place at that point, and that any good player here won't immediately hit the portal? Does any of that even enter your mind?

It'll be the end of Pruitt all over again, without any assurance that we get a guy anything close to Heupel to take this job. But then you'll be in your comfort zone, raging on here after yet another 7-5 season, so carry on.

Agree, time to fire Deboer. Took a CFP team one year to losing at Vandy the next.

It happens. CJH is also still learning and growing. This fire mentality and quick hiring is why UT has been in the wilderness for decades.
Agree!!!! Can’t expect quality with fast food mentality!

It's pointless to respond to foolishness like this because that comment shows how clueless you are, but I'll try once more.

It takes 3-4 years minimum to build a program from the ground up to anywhere near elite level, between recruiting and establishing a system and culture. Heupel is in his fourth full year here and has us in the top 10, and has established a rock solid recruiting base, with one 5-star QB here and another on the way. The program is ascending for the first time in a couple of decades. Yeah, we hit a bump in the road, but you don't burn the house down.

You seriously believe that firing him off a disappointing season won't kill all that and send us back to square one? How many Power 4 coaches or top assistants are going to be open to coming to a place that fires a guy off of what CJH has done here in 4 years? You think that any top recruit will want anything to do with this place at that point, and that any good player here won't immediately hit the portal? Does any of that even enter your mind?

It'll be the end of Pruitt all over again, without any assurance that we get a guy anything close to Heupel to take this job. But then you'll be in your comfort zone, raging on here after yet another 7-5 season, so carry on.
Yes, Heupel is in year 4. This program is not elite or anywhere close to it. The number 8 ranking will dwindle down towards #20 and maybe out of the top 25 as the season progresses with loses to Florida tomorrow, Bama, Georgia, and possibly either Kentucky or Vandy. The Vols have major offense issues but RB isn’t one of them. It’s all other pieces of the offense.

I don’t think anyone is banging down the door to fire Heupel but his buddy Elirbee, he hasn’t shown the ability to coach an elite offensive line, not anywhere close and if Heupel doesn’t put business above friendship soon, it’s going to really affect his future.

I truly hope I’m wrong about the gators tomorrow but this Vol offense against any team with a pulse is downright despicable. Florida always seems to find a way to embarrass the Vols regardless of how many points the Vols are favored and until the Vols can consistently beat the gators, I’ll pick the gators.

What will be interesting to me is if the gators will play a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 and if so, has Heupel FINALLY figured out an offense strategy to defeat it. Again, I’m not holding my breath. Heupel seems to be hardheaded so the jury’s still out.

Yes, Heupel is in year 4. This program is not elite or anywhere close to it. The number 8 ranking will dwindle down towards #20 and maybe out of the top 25 as the season progresses with loses to Florida tomorrow, Bama, Georgia, and possibly either Kentucky or Vandy. The Vols have major offense issues but RB isn’t one of them. It’s all other pieces of the offense.

I don’t think anyone is banging down the door to fire Heupel but his buddy Elirbee, he hasn’t shown the ability to coach an elite offensive line, not anywhere close and if Heupel doesn’t put business above friendship soon, it’s going to really affect his future.

I truly hope I’m wrong about the gators tomorrow but this Vol offense against any team with a pulse is downright despicable. Florida always seems to find a way to embarrass the Vols regardless of how many points the Vols are favored and until the Vols can consistently beat the gators, I’ll pick the gators.

What will be interesting to me is if the gators will play a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 and if so, has Heupel FINALLY figured out an offense strategy to defeat it. Again, I’m not holding my breath. Heupel seems to be hardheaded so the jury’s still out.
We're close. In year 2 and 3 we finished #5 and #17.

CJH is a good coach. Is he a great coach? Still TBD. I agree that if we lose to the gators tomorrow then i will be concerned.

It was one loss, on the road, at night, to a good conference opponent. Also, Arkansas is no slouch of a team. They have lost two tough road games to top 25 teams by one score.

Heupel doesn't have to run the table to be capable of doing so down the road. We are still at a recruiting disadvantage from a poor 2021 recruiting class and other scholarship reductions we had to adhere to these past recruiting classes.

We do need to adjust the offensive playcalling and find a way to counter the 3-3-5 defensive alignment. We also need to be better disciplined on the OL and limit the negative mistakes. But I expect us to improve in these areas as the season goes on. And honestly, I've always liked our chances against Bama and Florida at home. Beating UGA in Athens will be a tough task that I'm not overly confident in. But it doesn't mean the team Heupel isn't capable.

These judgements of a guy's value off of a single game crack me up. So if UT loses tomorrow, all the good that's been built over the last few years is out the window and Heupel is on the "hot seat"? Two weeks ago there were discussions over who would be the easiest win between UGa and Bama and whether we prefer being the SEC champ or the 5 seed and hosting a game, and now it's time to think about firing the coach? This place really really is a lunatic asylum.

VN Store

Back