Top Transfer Talent Flying Around...

If they're going to those schools is it really such a terrible loss?

Have you paid any attention to ut roster moves since the season ended?
We took a commitment from a guy who was formerly at MTSU and a 3* JUCO defensive lineman nobody seemed to have heard of or wanted. Lets not pretend that our standards are too high to take a lot of those other players.

Reactions: Volanta
The bombs dropped at FSU and Bama is gonna shake things up
It seems likely to me there will be a lot of movement in coaches over the next couple months that will shake up a lot of teams and a lot of players may be looking for new homes. I wish we had already gotten one of the highly regarded OL that was available but it seems likely there will be more hitting the portal when it opens back up and players have 30 days after a coahing change I believe.

We took a commitment from a guy who was formerly at MTSU and a 3* JUCO defensive lineman nobody seemed to have heard of or wanted. Lets not pretend that our standards are too high to take a lot of those other players.
Rodney Garner wanted him and that's good enough for me.

EDIT: I'm a moron

everywhere except to Tennessee.

Are we so stacked that we can't accommodate any additions?

Are we out of money?

Penn State just landed a 5* DB from UGA and a 4* from Florida. Penn State! A 4* CB from UGA went to lowly Purdue. Walter Nolen never gave us a look.

Of the top 100 rated transfers (247 Sports), Vols lost 1 (Baron-DE) and got 2 (Staes-TE and Brazzell-WR).

Walter Nolan isn’t from Tennessee so that is stupid and maybe we are out of money

It is every 4 and 5* for us or the legion of the miserable complain of failure
I have raised this same question since the portal opened and have gotten lambasted on this board for making it. Heuple has made the statement from the start he is not a fan of the portal would prefer to build his team the traditional way and only go to the portal if he has a specific need. This is the same philosophy as Dabo and look at how well it’s worked for Clemson. I don’t think we are offering any of the blue chip talent leaving Bama, Georgia A&M etc while Ole Miss is building themselves into a top 3/4 team by making being active in the portal !

Reactions: TrojanorVol
It is every 4 and 5* for us or the legion of the miserable complain of failure
I have raised this same question since the portal opened and have gotten lambasted on this board for making it. Heuple has made the statement from the start he is not a fan of the portal would prefer to build his team the traditional way and only go to the portal if he has a specific need. This is the same philosophy as Dabo and look at how well it’s worked for Clemson. I don’t think we are offering any of the blue chip talent leaving Bama, Georgia A&M etc while Ole Miss is building themselves into a top 3/4 team by making being active in the portal

Southern players eschewing Tennessee and going to Penn State, Purdue and Fresno State is baffling.

There's no better place to play in America than Tennessee. A few peers, but no place better, particularly if you're talented and looking for playing time.
It’s pretty simple $$$$$

Reactions: J C Higgins
I have raised this same question since the portal opened and have gotten lambasted on this board for making it. Heuple has made the statement from the start he is not a fan of the portal would prefer to build his team the traditional way and only go to the portal if he has a specific need. This is the same philosophy as Dabo and look at how well it’s worked for Clemson. I don’t think we are offering any of the blue chip talent leaving Bama, Georgia A&M etc while Ole Miss is building themselves into a top 3/4 team by making being active in the portal
I get what you are saying but Clemson is an outlier to be honest. You can build it through the traditional way if you are signing top 5 classes every year. But we aren’t doing that.

Isaiah Bond from Alabama hitting the transfer portal:

Alabama wide receiver Isaiah Bond entered his name in the transfer portal on Friday, becoming the first Crimson Tide player to do so since Nick Saban announced his retirement. Bond was second on the team in receiving yards this season with 668 and also had four receiving touchdowns in 14 games played. He was a sophomore this season and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Reactions: Ratvol
In about 15 years coaching, the Penn State cornerbacks coach has coached 12 players to the NFL. if the Penn State website is correct.
In about 20 years of coaching Willie Martinez has coached 43 players to the NFL, if the UT website is correct.

I'm not saying Martinez is a great coach, but a lot of the things he gets blamed for (10 yard cushion on wideouts and too much soft zone coverage) is a Tim Banks decision, not Martinez.
He's not near as bad as our fan base thinks.
I can understand that Banks may be the guy calling the "play back 10 yards, give them constant 1st downs, but no long balls past that" game scheme. But they have to watch game film together, so how do they avoid seeing that scheme cost us game after game ?

I can understand that Banks may be the guy calling the "play back 10 yards, give them constant 1st downs, but no long balls past that" game scheme. But they have to watch game film together, so how do they avoid seeing that scheme cost us game after game ?
I think in their mind it's keep everything in front of us and make the opponent drive 80 yards without a mistake because we are not athletic enough to play press man.

In about 15 years coaching, the Penn State cornerbacks coach has coached 12 players to the NFL. if the Penn State website is correct.
In about 20 years of coaching Willie Martinez has coached 43 players to the NFL, if the UT website is correct.

I'm not saying Martinez is a great coach, but a lot of the things he gets blamed for (10 yard cushion on wideouts and too much soft zone coverage) is a Tim Banks decision, not Martinez.
He's not near as bad as our fan base thinks.

I did not know that. He’s certainly been around for a while.

I don’t know the answer to this question so I will ask everybody who know the game better than me: can our DBs play press-man coverage? Or is it man-press coverage?

Heupel made a point maybe last week speaking about our new DBs. He said (I paraphrase)…”you’re gonna have to learn how to play man-press coverage…”

Under Martinez, have we ever played man-press coverage during his time here? I honestly don’t know. My guess: we haven’t because we just haven’t had the athletic ability in our secondary to play press-man. I don’t know, guys. If so, then this might explain why we play a soft zone quite a bit.

Again, I’m just a fan and not an expert. Those who know, please educate me.

Reactions: atilla

Are we out of money?

Penn State just landed a 5* DB from UGA and a 4* from Florida. Penn State! A 4* CB from UGA went to lowly Purdue. Walter Nolen never gave us a look.

Of the top 100 rated transfers (247 Sports), Vols lost 1 (Baron-DE) and got 2 (Staes-TE and Brazzell-WR).

About to be plus 2

I noticed something Spurrier said on tv the other day about his retiring. He said the players wouldn't listen to him. I thought that was very telling. If a player would not listen to Spurrier, who would they listen to?

Reactions: Remy

Are we out of money?

from what I have heard, Nolen contacted UT and we told him no thanks

I did not know that. He’s certainly been around for a while.

I don’t know the answer to this question so I will ask everybody who know the game better than me: can our DBs play press-man coverage? Or is it man-press coverage?

Heupel made a point maybe last week speaking about our new DBs. He said (I paraphrase)…”you’re gonna have to learn how to play man-press coverage…”

Under Martinez, have we ever played man-press coverage during his time here? I honestly don’t know. My guess: we haven’t because we just haven’t had the athletic ability in our secondary to play press-man. I don’t know, guys. If so, then this might explain why we play a soft zone quite a bit.

Again, I’m just a fan and not an expert. Those who know, please educate me.
Our guys struggle to not get burnt in a soft zone. We don’t have the speed to cover a sec WR that’s good. Hadden was about the only one that could.

Reactions: VolTull
Our guys struggle to not get burnt in a soft zone. We don’t have the speed to cover a sec WR that’s good. Hadden was about the only one that could.
CH and CM understand this intimately. The strategy that follows is one where you don't get torched for quick points and you allow the offense to win for you.

Curious who the DC was when they were recruited.
Considering they had two Co-Defensive Cooridinators and Brent Pry was the one who stayed and got a p5 job offer the next year, Tim Banks was only partially responsible.

VN Store

Back