Top Transfer Talent Flying Around...

Isaiah Bond from Alabama hitting the transfer portal:

Alabama wide receiver Isaiah Bond entered his name in the transfer portal on Friday, becoming the first Crimson Tide player to do so since Nick Saban announced his retirement. Bond was second on the team in receiving yards this season with 668 and also had four receiving touchdowns in 14 games played. He was a sophomore this season and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Isaiah Bond pulling no punches on his transfer from Alabama to Texas. "It's a business decision."

While this completely sucks for the future of college football, the reality of recruiting the cream of the crop today is to make playing for your school a good business decision for getting them to the next level.

Tennessee, if we wish to recruit at the highest level, must present itself as "NFL-lite" or "we prepare you for the next level" to succeed against other schools. There is not even a hint in Bond's interview that the academics or school experience matters.

Reactions: RTVFL89
everywhere except to Tennessee.

Are we so stacked that we can't accommodate any additions?

Are we out of money?

Penn State just landed a 5* DB from UGA and a 4* from Florida. Penn State! A 4* CB from UGA went to lowly Purdue. Walter Nolen never gave us a look.

Of the top 100 rated transfers (247 Sports), Vols lost 1 (Baron-DE) and got 2 (Staes-TE and Brazzell-WR).
Another overreaction

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I have raised this same question since the portal opened and have gotten lambasted on this board for making it. Heuple has made the statement from the start he is not a fan of the portal would prefer to build his team the traditional way and only go to the portal if he has a specific need. This is the same philosophy as Dabo and look at how well it’s worked for Clemson. I don’t think we are offering any of the blue chip talent leaving Bama, Georgia A&M etc while Ole Miss is building themselves into a top 3/4 team by making being active in the portal
The portal is here to stay and only gonna get worse. He better get on the wagon. I’d argue that it hasn’t worked well at all for Clemson since the portal and NIL have turned into the Wild West.

So Tennessee netted one top 100 player from the transfer portal. I don't have time to do it but how does that compare to the rest of the SEC? We might not be that bad...

Just quickly glancing at the top 100 list, I see that Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M lost multiple players.
Bama lost a lot of players, and that doesn't count those going pro.

Southern players eschewing Tennessee and going to Penn State, Purdue and Fresno State is baffling.

There's no better place to play in America than Tennessee. A few peers, but no place better, particularly if you're talented and looking for playing time.
If top players are blowing off scholarship offers from the top half of SEC teams to play for Purdue or Fresno State, it’s about money.

Still shopping for another tight end but that seems to be it. Don't believe they have interest in any other portal players at this juncture. Its not a money deal as much as ok with where they are. Things could change after spring.. JMO

this has changed with all the portal entries from Bama, Washington and Arizona. They are looking at players from those schools and would not turn away a really good player that had interest.

It’s getting kinda ridiculous. Half of Bama’s team hit the portal and we can only grab one player who’s not expected to start for us. We’re supposed to have the #1 NIL program in the country and all these players are leaving for the $. Are we broke or do they just not want to play here?

It’s getting kinda ridiculous. Half of Bama’s team hit the portal and we can only grab one player who’s not expected to start for us. We’re supposed to have the #1 NIL program in the country and all these players are leaving for the $. Are we broke or do they just not want to play here?

Who did we lose that mattered?

Maybe some of you feel badly that we perhaps are not paying players enough money to come play football here for a year before
moving on to some other school with saps desperate to write them new checks, so that their school can maybe win football games. I'm not one
of those people.

I expect Heupel to build a winning roster. I'm absolutely certain that he will use all the resources at his disposal to go after players he thinks will make the team better. If reports are correct, UT has enough NIL support to compete when they want to compete. But as I've argued with others before. You only get to spend that money once. You buy a portal player who may not work out or fit your program... then you may short a player on your roster who you know can make a contribution.

We know what Mays means to the OL. We know what Big O means to the DL. What if some of the money you're complaining wasn't thrown at the portal was given to them and others on the roster? How about Pearce? Sampson?

You also have to figure in what overpaying for someone out of the portal will do to your other guys' attitudes.

This is a lot more complex than many of you guys think. I would LOVE to sell things to you guys at a live auction though... everything would go for 2 or 3 times what it is actually worth.

Reactions: VolTull
Well they kicked me out of the recruiting forum, but I promised those guys when it happened I would post a big BOOOOOOM when we landed Heard! So posting it here.

Let's go!!! Gotta protect that 8 mil investment we made at QB.

You posted this minutes after we landed a 5* LT transfer. Great timing 🤣

VN Store

Back